Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
31-03-2012, 04:02 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
If someone found conclusive proof of god would you be happy or disappointed?
Given that god/jesus/omega or whatever seems to want faith and belief rather than conclusive knowledge, in the bible jesus puts down thomas and suggests he is lesser than the person whom does not need proof.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Even though you don't have the same set up as me KC, congrats on having a thread that has reached 100 pages. (normal format)

Too bad it's 100 pages of gibberish.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2012, 12:13 PM
(09-12-2011 03:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 03:18 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  Allllllrighty then.
Here's a question that I'm too lazy to type into google or look for the answer myself.
I hear people talk about the book of genesis and all these different "sections" but never really understood if it was the same book or multiple books. Can one buy like a combo package with all these books in it like an omnibus? Or does just the standard bible include everything?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. From what I know, Genesis is a single book from the Torah. The Torah is pretty much included in every version of the Christian Bible; however, you may be referring to the Apocrypha. If so, you can get these in most Catholic Bibles.
All the books of the Hebrew scriptures had several authors and were redacted over the centuries. That's where the discrepancies arise
01-04-2012, 06:51 AM
(09-12-2011 03:18 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  Allllllrighty then.
Here's a question that I'm too lazy to type into google or look for the answer myself.
I hear people talk about the book of genesis and all these different "sections" but never really understood if it was the same book or multiple books. Can one buy like a combo package with all these books in it like an omnibus? Or does just the standard bible include everything?

I'm thinking you are referring to the Documentary Hypothesis.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2012, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 07:37 AM by kingschosen.)
(31-03-2012 04:02 AM)Stevil Wrote:  If someone found conclusive proof of god would you be happy or disappointed?
Given that god/jesus/omega or whatever seems to want faith and belief rather than conclusive knowledge, in the bible jesus puts down thomas and suggests he is lesser than the person whom does not need proof.

I would be happy. The patriarchs in the OT had definitive proof of His existence, but their faith was enacted differently. Their faith was whether or not to follow and listen to this being.

(31-03-2012 11:34 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Even though you don't have the same set up as me KC, congrats on having a thread that has reached 100 pages. (normal format)

Too bad it's 100 pages of gibberish.

Ha. Thanks man. I had no idea that this thread would garner so much popularity when I started it. I've really enjoyed answering questions, though.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-04-2012, 05:33 PM
So if you believe that atheists are going to hell because they don't believe in God, even though you think that its unfair, why doesn't that compel you to go out trying to convert people so they won't go to hell?

I just feel that if I truly believed in God, and I thought atheists were going to hell just for not believing, especially people I cared about, I would definitely try and convert people because they don't realise what's going to happen to them and they dont deserve it.
05-04-2012, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 11:18 PM by kingschosen.)
(05-04-2012 05:33 PM)Magoo Wrote:  So if you believe that atheists are going to hell because they don't believe in God, even though you think that its unfair, why doesn't that compel you to go out trying to convert people so they won't go to hell?

I just feel that if I truly believed in God, and I thought atheists were going to hell just for not believing, especially people I cared about, I would definitely try and convert people because they don't realise what's going to happen to them and they dont deserve it.
Because I don't believe people have a choice in salvation. I can't convert anyone. Only God can. He can use me as a way for Him to convert people, but there isn't anything I can do in the conversation process. God has already chosen that person for salvation or damnation.

05-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Calvinists believe in single predestination, where god chooses before you are born that you are saved, no matter what actions you preform. (Right?)

Under Repair.
05-04-2012, 11:17 PM
(05-04-2012 11:13 PM)itsacow Wrote:  Calvinists believe in single predestination, where god chooses before you are born that you are saved, no matter what actions you preform. (Right?)
Yes. Also, God predestines all actions.

05-04-2012, 11:23 PM
So, say if a man commits murder, but god already knew that he would repent for his sins. Would he still go to heaven even if that is a mortal sin.(before purgatory had been invented). I just realized something, if god really does exist, he must be bored as hell because he knows all that will happen forever.

Under Repair.