Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
16-04-2012, 01:47 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(16-04-2012 01:32 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-04-2012 08:01 AM)kenroos Wrote:  No, again is a matter of faith, but also is a universal truth that if u work hard for want u want (help yourself), all around u will help u also (god helps u).
So if it is unknowable, unobservable, unmeasurable, doesn't that make it irrelevant?
If the universe behaves in exactly the same way as if there isn't a god, then the god must be irrelevant.
We cannot know what it is, what it looks like, what it wants, what it wants from us (assuming we are of some importance to it). If we can't know anything about it, not even to observe any consequences it has on our own material existence then we ought to simply live our lives as if it doesn't exist. Would this be an accurate assessment?
You forget what Girly calls the bullshit promise of post mortem preservation of identity Tongue That's the point of faith - that if you have it, you get cookies. If what you believe is true. But you must believe it in order to get cookies. Therefore it is true and we all get cookies. Except the guys who don't have faith that they'll get cookies. They have faith that they'll get no cookies. And they're right, they won't. But further more we the cookie believers have faith that they'll get flambed like a Crepe Suzette for having the temerity to refuse cookies when they were offered.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2012, 01:57 PM
That's their first problem when it comes to convincing me. I don't like cookies that much =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
16-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Quote:So if it is unknowable, unobservable, unmeasurable, doesn't that make it irrelevant?
If the universe behaves in exactly the same way as if there isn't a god, then the god must be irrelevant.
We
cannot know what it is, what it looks like, what it wants, what it
wants from us (assuming we are of some importance to it). If we can't
know anything about it, not even to observe any consequences it has on
our own material existence then we ought to simply live our lives as if
it doesn't exist. Would this be an accurate assessment?
true,it is unobservable but you can in fact measure it and get know of
someone or, in you want, something is moving the threads to help you.

(16-04-2012 01:47 PM)morondog Wrote:  You forget what Girly calls the bullshit promise of post mortem preservation of identity Tongue That's the point of faith - that if you have it, you get cookies. If what you believe is true. But you must believe it in order to get cookies. Therefore it is true and we all get cookies. Except the guys who don't have faith that they'll get cookies. They have faith that they'll get no cookies. And they're right, they won't. But further more we the cookie believers have faith that they'll get flambed like a Crepe Suzette for having the temerity to refuse cookies when they were offered.
actually from my point of view, that's not the same of KC, anyone would get the "cookies" if he or she lives in a good way, no matter if the person believes in God, because God is love, and he wants us to live and be happy. in the other hand if you live doing the wrong, no matter how much faith you have, you will get no "cookies"...
16-04-2012, 03:33 PM
(16-04-2012 03:17 PM)kenroos Wrote:  true,it is unobservable but you can in fact measure it
How do you measure something that is unobservable?
16-04-2012, 03:58 PM
(16-04-2012 03:33 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-04-2012 03:17 PM)kenroos Wrote:  true,it is unobservable but you can in fact measure it
How do you measure something that is unobservable?
as the same way that you can sense something on the dark, or the way that blind people live, or when a mother feels the movement of their child inside her, or when you are thirsty or hungry... and many other ways that one person can sense and MEASURE something that can see but u know that is there.
16-04-2012, 03:58 PM
(16-04-2012 03:17 PM)kenroos Wrote:  
(16-04-2012 01:47 PM)morondog Wrote:  You forget what Girly calls the bullshit promise of post mortem preservation of identity Tongue That's the point of faith - that if you have it, you get cookies. If what you believe is true. But you must believe it in order to get cookies. Therefore it is true and we all get cookies. Except the guys who don't have faith that they'll get cookies. They have faith that they'll get no cookies. And they're right, they won't. But further more we the cookie believers have faith that they'll get flambed like a Crepe Suzette for having the temerity to refuse cookies when they were offered.
actually from my point of view, that's not the same of KC, anyone would get the "cookies" if he or she lives in a good way, no matter if the person believes in God, because God is love, and he wants us to live and be happy. in the other hand if you live doing the wrong, no matter how much faith you have, you will get no "cookies"...
If believing in post death receipt of cookies is not required, merely being nice, then why the emphasis on evangelism?
16-04-2012, 04:10 PM
that's just my point of view, I believe in God, and in Jesus, and his
message was just to love each other as the same way that he loves us, as
long as you live that way, that is in fact the real message of the gospels, you will get all the damn cookies you want.
16-04-2012, 04:26 PM
(16-04-2012 04:10 PM)kenroos Wrote:  that's just my point of view, I believe in God, and in Jesus, and his
message was just to love each other as the same way that he loves us, as
long as you live that way, that is in fact the real message of the gospels, you will get all the damn cookies you want.
but I don't want cookies Tongue If God would stop being such a poes and sort out the horrible shit in the world with his awesome power I'd be stoked and he can keep eternal life and all the other shit, I don't need it. Just get with the program God, if he were really any good as a God and really loves us, then he'd stop the bad shit that goes on in the world - the wars, the pointless death, the stupid oppression.

Oh yeah, God works in mysterious ways.

Oh yeah, and freewill is essential I forgot.

Besides which everything's so much better up in heaven where we're all going that we might as well not really give a shit in this life, the only life that we have empirical evidence for, because we've got a book full of primitive superstition that says everything's virgins and candy up in the sky *after* we die.
16-04-2012, 04:41 PM
as I told you jejeje that's just my point of view Wink, and for the fact that this world is going to shit, as you rightly say, its not God's work, God don't make wars, men made them; the hungry in the world??? maybe something called global warming is affecting earth??? and who made all the pollution and shit??? men!!! no God. I think the humanity must take responsibility for the crap that they get.

Again, is just my point of view, and as the first page of this thread establish, I don't want to convert you Big Grin, and I don't think neither, that you will de-convert me, but I also believe that we MUST live in the right way and following the message of Jesus gives us, not just for Christians, but for all mankind, and that doesn't mean that you have to be a theist to do the right things
16-04-2012, 04:47 PM
(16-04-2012 04:41 PM)kenroos Wrote:  as I told you jejeje that's just my point of view Wink, and for the fact that this world is going to shit, as you rightly say, its not God's work, God don't make wars, men made them; the hungry in the world??? maybe something called global warming is affecting earth??? and who made all the pollution and shit??? men!!! no God. I think the humanity must take responsibility for the crap that they get.

Again, is just my point of view, and as the first page of this thread establish, I don't want to convert you Big Grin, and I don't think neither, that you will de-convert me, but I also believe that we MUST live in the right way and following the message of Jesus gives us, not just for Christians, but for all mankind, and that doesn't mean that you have to be a theist to do the right things
you = total weirdo Dodgy I mean that in a nice way Wink