Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
02-05-2012, 02:17 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Is there a passage in the bible that says that christians should answer non-believers questions about the bible or christianity?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2012, 02:34 PM
(02-05-2012 02:17 PM)sjthomp Wrote:  Is there a passage in the bible that says that christians should answer non-believers questions about the bible or christianity?
Proverbs 15 addresses this to an extent:

1 A gentle answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger.
2 The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable,
But the mouth of fools spouts folly.
3 The eyes of the LORD are in every place,
Watching the evil and the good.
4 A soothing tongue is a tree of life,
But perversion in it crushes the spirit.
5 A fool rejects his father’s discipline,
But he who regards reproof is sensible.
6 Great wealth is in the house of the righteous,
But trouble is in the income of the wicked.
7 The lips of the wise spread knowledge,
But the hearts of fools are not so.
8 The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD,
But the prayer of the upright is His delight.
9 The way of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD,
But He loves one who pursues righteousness.
10 Grievous punishment is for him who forsakes the way;
He who hates reproof will die.
11 Sheol and Abaddon lie open before the LORD,
How much more the hearts of men!
12 A scoffer does not love one who reproves him,
He will not go to the wise.
13 A joyful heart makes a cheerful face,
But when the heart is sad, the spirit is broken.
14 The mind of the intelligent seeks knowledge,
But the mouth of fools feeds on folly.
15 All the days of the afflicted are bad,
But a cheerful heart has a continual feast.
16 Better is a little with the fear of the LORD
Than great treasure and turmoil with it.
17 Better is a dish of vegetables where love is
Than a fattened ox served with hatred.
18 A hot-tempered man stirs up strife,
But the slow to anger calms a dispute.
19 The way of the lazy is as a hedge of thorns,
But the path of the upright is a highway.
20 A wise son makes a father glad,
But a foolish man despises his mother.
21 Folly is joy to him who lacks sense,
But a man of understanding walks straight.
22 Without consultation, plans are frustrated,
But with many counselors they succeed.
23 A man has joy in an apt answer,
And how delightful is a timely word!
24 The path of life leads upward for the wise
That he may keep away from Sheol below.
25 The LORD will tear down the house of the proud,
But He will establish the boundary of the widow.
26 Evil plans are an abomination to the LORD,
But pleasant words are pure.
27 He who profits illicitly troubles his own house,
But he who hates bribes will live.
28 The heart of the righteous ponders how to answer,
But the mouth of the wicked pours out evil things.
29 The LORD is far from the wicked,
But He hears the prayer of the righteous.
30 Bright eyes gladden the heart;
Good news puts fat on the bones.
31 He whose ear listens to the life-giving reproof
Will dwell among the wise.
32 He who neglects discipline despises himself,
But he who listens to reproof acquires understanding.
33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction for wisdom,
And before honor comes humility.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-05-2012, 04:24 PM
(02-05-2012 02:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Thanks, I found this as well. 1 Peter 3:15
(02-05-2012 02:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 02:17 PM)sjthomp Wrote:  Is there a passage in the bible that says that christians should answer non-believers questions about the bible or christianity?
Proverbs 15 addresses this to an extent:

1 A gentle answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger.
2 The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable,
But the mouth of fools spouts folly.
3 The eyes of the LORD are in every place,
Watching the evil and the good.
4 A soothing tongue is a tree of life,
But perversion in it crushes the spirit.
5 A fool rejects his father’s discipline,
But he who regards reproof is sensible.
6 Great wealth is in the house of the righteous,
But trouble is in the income of the wicked.
7 The lips of the wise spread knowledge,
But the hearts of fools are not so.
8 The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD,
But the prayer of the upright is His delight.
9 The way of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD,
But He loves one who pursues righteousness.
10 Grievous punishment is for him who forsakes the way;
He who hates reproof will die.
11 Sheol and Abaddon lie open before the LORD,
How much more the hearts of men!
12 A scoffer does not love one who reproves him,
He will not go to the wise.
13 A joyful heart makes a cheerful face,
But when the heart is sad, the spirit is broken.
14 The mind of the intelligent seeks knowledge,
But the mouth of fools feeds on folly.
15 All the days of the afflicted are bad,
But a cheerful heart has a continual feast.
16 Better is a little with the fear of the LORD
Than great treasure and turmoil with it.
17 Better is a dish of vegetables where love is
Than a fattened ox served with hatred.
18 A hot-tempered man stirs up strife,
But the slow to anger calms a dispute.
19 The way of the lazy is as a hedge of thorns,
But the path of the upright is a highway.
20 A wise son makes a father glad,
But a foolish man despises his mother.
21 Folly is joy to him who lacks sense,
But a man of understanding walks straight.
22 Without consultation, plans are frustrated,
But with many counselors they succeed.
23 A man has joy in an apt answer,
And how delightful is a timely word!
24 The path of life leads upward for the wise
That he may keep away from Sheol below.
25 The LORD will tear down the house of the proud,
But He will establish the boundary of the widow.
26 Evil plans are an abomination to the LORD,
But pleasant words are pure.
27 He who profits illicitly troubles his own house,
But he who hates bribes will live.
28 The heart of the righteous ponders how to answer,
But the mouth of the wicked pours out evil things.
29 The LORD is far from the wicked,
But He hears the prayer of the righteous.
30 Bright eyes gladden the heart;
Good news puts fat on the bones.
31 He whose ear listens to the life-giving reproof
Will dwell among the wise.
32 He who neglects discipline despises himself,
But he who listens to reproof acquires understanding.
33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction for wisdom,
And before honor comes humility.
02-05-2012, 04:29 PM
22 pages and KC still isn't making any sense. Tongue

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
02-05-2012, 10:34 PM
(02-05-2012 04:29 PM)germanyt Wrote:  22 pages and KC still isn't making any sense. Tongue

And nobody even gives a shit. That's how theism should be accepted. Thumbsup

#sigh
02-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Got a question. So when does the "it's not suppose to be literal" end??? Is it when science develops enough that you just claim the whole bible is not suppose to be taken literally??

I ask because one of my christian thumping flatmates (I live with three of them... let's just say we don't talk about religion), the one that can't cook but that's a discussion for another day, was reading something on the internet while I was watching TV and it was about how the world was made. So anyway, the topic of the world was made in 7days came up and she claims that it is not suppose to be taken literally. I turned to her and said "bitch you crazy yes it is" (without the bitch you crazy), followed by "no it's not because how do we know that a day is not actually a century and so you see that it explains evolution and how the world was made from volcanoes and stuff and so it explains that the world is actually 4billion years old".
Now arguably that makes a compelling argument for someone who believes in the bible, except for the flawed logic that why did god then make a day a day as in 24hours rather then keep it a century long, and why did it not say a century if it took a century. I tried to explain to her that the bible is suppose to be taken literally and that it seems very convenient that the bible becomes less and less literal as science progresses but her being her dumb self (literally she is pretty thick and not just because she's a theist) just like the rest of my flatmates would not have a bar of it.

So yeah, that is my question. When is the line going to be drawn in the sand, this is literal this is not, because I am under the impression that that line has not been drawn due to the convenience that you can shift it when things are proven in your disfavor or move the other way when things are proven in your favor.
To me it seems very dodgy and like something someone without a shred of evidence or proof and are insecure and doubtful in their own belief system would do. But that's just my opinion.
03-05-2012, 08:41 AM
(02-05-2012 11:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Got a question. So when does the "it's not suppose to be literal" end??? Is it when science develops enough that you just claim the whole bible is not suppose to be taken literally??

I ask because one of my christian thumping flatmates (I live with three of them... let's just say we don't talk about religion), the one that can't cook but that's a discussion for another day, was reading something on the internet while I was watching TV and it was about how the world was made. So anyway, the topic of the world was made in 7days came up and she claims that it is not suppose to be taken literally. I turned to her and said "bitch you crazy yes it is" (without the bitch you crazy), followed by "no it's not because how do we know that a day is not actually a century and so you see that it explains evolution and how the world was made from volcanoes and stuff and so it explains that the world is actually 4billion years old".
Now arguably that makes a compelling argument for someone who believes in the bible, except for the flawed logic that why did god then make a day a day as in 24hours rather then keep it a century long, and why did it not say a century if it took a century. I tried to explain to her that the bible is suppose to be taken literally and that it seems very convenient that the bible becomes less and less literal as science progresses but her being her dumb self (literally she is pretty thick and not just because she's a theist) just like the rest of my flatmates would not have a bar of it.

So yeah, that is my question. When is the line going to be drawn in the sand, this is literal this is not, because I am under the impression that that line has not been drawn due to the convenience that you can shift it when things are proven in your disfavor or move the other way when things are proven in your favor.
To me it seems very dodgy and like something someone without a shred of evidence or proof and are insecure and doubtful in their own belief system would do. But that's just my opinion.
I'll be the first to admit that that line is changing.

As more scientific evidence emerges, certain biblical texts warrant further analysis. This is what has recently taken place with Genesis. As the history of the region and the writing style of the time period is given further credence, it becomes evident that the author(s) did not mean for certain things to be taken literally.

Moreover, it becomes reconciled with scripture and the theory gains further support.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-05-2012, 12:34 AM
(03-05-2012 08:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 11:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Got a question. So when does the "it's not suppose to be literal" end??? Is it when science develops enough that you just claim the whole bible is not suppose to be taken literally??

I'll be the first to admit that that line is changing.

As more scientific evidence emerges, certain biblical texts warrant further analysis. This is what has recently taken place with Genesis. As the history of the region and the writing style of the time period is given further credence, it becomes evident that the author(s) did not mean for certain things to be taken literally.

Moreover, it becomes reconciled with scripture and the theory gains further support.
"it becomes evident that the author did not mean for certain things to be taken literally"

Forgive me if I am reading this wrong, but I find your answer somewhat just a repeat of the question and not an explanation.

That is exactly what I am talking about though, "it becomes evident", it becomes evident as science grows.
I am the firm believer that the whole bible was suppose to be taken literally, all of it.
Like what I said to my flatmate, if God created the earth over 4billion years, he would have said over 4billion years, but he didn't say that he said 7days. It is no skin off somebodies neck to say the world is 4billion years old rather then 4,000. It makes no sense to say one and not the real truth. What lesson is there in that?? I can see lessions in things like David v Goliath, but to say the world is 4 thousand years old instead of the more realistic 4billion??? The reason he didn't say 4billion, or the earth was round or unicorns never existed or whatever is because that is what the people at the time it was written believed. Proof that it was man written.

It is just frustrating to see all the evidence presented before you, or whoever, and the only explanation they can give is "oh it's not suppose to be literal". I find it mind blowing how people take it and force it to fit. Because that is what saying "oh it's not suppose to be literal" is doing, it is trying to make something fit which does not in anyway shape or form fit.

We (humanity) should be at a stage where can now accept that this is not real, get over it, move past it and grow from there. But instead we are being held back grasping ever so desperately onto something that becomes ever thinner in the way of believability by saying stupid things like how it's just a metaphor. But I think I am straying from the original question a bit so I'll just stop typing shit as it pops into my head it seems to get me into trouble sometimes.
05-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Do you believe in a postmortem preservation of identity?

#sigh
05-05-2012, 04:25 AM
Was Noah a real man? At which point in this story does noah and the animals become figurative?

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.