Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
10-12-2011, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 09:40 PM by kingschosen.)
RE: Ask a Theist!
(10-12-2011 03:37 PM)morondog Wrote:  More questions:
1. Do you actively spread the Word of God, do you believe that God commands this?
2. What do you think of gay people? I realise this is an emotive question, so please just say what the position is.
3. I guess you might have posted in the thread, but is masturbation a sin?
(Sorry for all the sex related questions, but you can blame your odd God for making us with the equipment and then telling us not to use it).
4. Do you feel that God wants you to be nice to me even though I'm damned (definitely not hypothetically, I deliberately did the insulting the holy spirit thing a while back just to be sure Tongue)?
5. How's about women? Where do they fit in? Subservient to men?

1) God does command this. I live my life according to Him, and if it comes up in conversation, I don't shy away from my beliefs; however, I don't go out on the street corner and throw Bibles at people. I let the Holy Spirit guide me as to whom and when I "preach".

2) Gay people are like straight people. Just gay. I'm not a judge, and I don't treat anyone differently. God created them gay for a reason; a reason I don't know, so who am I to treat them like they have a problem? Also, outlawing gay marriage is borderline retarded. How can you deny a basic civil right based on sexual orientation?

3) Lusting is a sin. Masturbation is a result of lust. So, no... masturbation isn't a sin. It's a by product of a sin.

4) I am to be like Christ. Christ treated those that hated Him with respect and was "nice". I am to be the same. I would hope my actions on this board have shown that.

5) Woman are to serve men and men are to honor women. Men are to be leaders and the head of the household while women provide strong support. If the synergy between the two is where it should be, it works well for both people. Keep in mind that I am in NO WAY saying that women should just "take it" from men. A man receives his guidance from God, and he is to honor and uplift his wife; likewise, the woman should serve her husband because she knows that he is honoring God.
@Erxomai
Yes. You explained it well. Also XD

(10-12-2011 06:18 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  1) In heaven do we have physical form? If so what form, it would hardly seem fair for someone with arthritis who struggles to walk to have arthritis in heaven just because they died that way. Then again my nan had arthritis all the time I knew her, it would be weird if she was suddenly 30 when I got to heaven, I don't think I'd recognise her.

2) What mental level are we at in heaven? If a baby dies and goes to heaven would they be forever in the form of a baby with the mental level of a baby or would they have the form/intellect of the person they would have grown into had they not died?

1) Like I said to Lilith, we will have a glorified body. How that body looks, I can't say for sure, but I do know that body will not experience pain in any form.

2) Again, like I said to Lilith, our sinful nature will be removed, and our glorified bodies will be perfect. I don't know what that perfection looks like, but any flaw in our earthly body will not be there in our glorified body. So, my assumption is that our metal state will be that of perfection.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
10-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Hafta disagree with 3. "I love" is inclusion of the "I" conditional to the "love" statement; "i" provides both the direction and the limit. I'm sure you peeps are logical enough to figure out where I'm going with this without the need of images and diagrams. Wink

"Lust" is a "flip-side" consideration, meaning it lurks in the background whenever the human animal expresses love. I agree it is "sinful;" i.e. an emotional context than requires vigilant monitoring, but it is not "sin" in the sense that it is automatically wrong. Au contraire, it is the willful suppression of lust that allows deviance to manifest in ways that are decidedly in contrast to extant ethical standard.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-12-2011, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 10:11 PM by kingschosen.)
(10-12-2011 07:08 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  You're making a good point of proving Christians as lazy.. I put some time and thought into these questions, but the answers were weak - especially the third one! It was clearly not a parable, which is a short allegorical story or an analogy. I even cited the bible reference with a hyperlink so you could read it yourself if you'd forgotten what I was talking about.

If Christians are too lazy to figure out their spiritual gifts, why is God so lazy about fixing this laziness?

If speaking in tongues requires an interpreter, then why don't churches have interpreters? In this day and age of digital technology, why isn't there a compilation of "heavenly language" for people to learn from if there are Christians who really do speak or interpret it?

1) You are right, and that is my mistake. I glanced at the passage and got it mixed up. I was in a bit of a hurry, but still, no excuse. I thought the passage was a different story.

BUT, to answer your original question, the story is still about obedience. Jesus asked this of the rich young ruler, not because it was necessary for his salvation, but because Jesus wanted to show him that he did not have the obedience to follow. The request to sell all of his possessions was symbolic, and Jesus knew that the rich young ruler could not give it up.

See, Jesus knew that the rich young ruler could never do anything "good" to get into heaven. Jesus knew this man was damned, so Jesus made it evident to him that he could not have salvation.

There are some more things to consider... why would a man so concerned with his eternal soul not be willing to give up temporary wealth? This doesn't even seem logical since the RYR was so adamant about receiving eternal life. This became a symbol for the disciples: something so simple, but yet he couldn't do it. He couldn't receive eternal life based on his own merit, and Jesus was unwilling to grant it to him. Why? Because he wasn't elect. Jesus was showing not only the RYR but also the disciples how impossible it was for someone who isn't chosen to try and receive salvation.

2) I apologize for my laziness, but as I said, I got it confused and was in a hurry. Sorry about that.

3) If they don't have an interpreter, then they are blaspheming the Holy Spirit and mocking God. If God has someone speak in tongues to other people, then He will provide an interpreter. If there isn't an interpreter, it is not of God.

Again, tongues is a prayer language to God that only the person and God can understand (interpreter too if it's in front of others).
(10-12-2011 09:46 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hafta disagree with 3. "I love" is inclusion of the "I" conditional to the "love" statement; "i" provides both the direction and the limit. I'm sure you peeps are logical enough to figure out where I'm going with this without the need of images and diagrams. Wink

"Lust" is a "flip-side" consideration, meaning it lurks in the background whenever the human animal expresses love. I agree it is "sinful;" i.e. an emotional context than requires vigilant monitoring, but it is not "sin" in the sense that it is automatically wrong. Au contraire, it is the willful suppression of lust that allows deviance to manifest in ways that are decidedly in contrast to extant ethical standard.

Well, I don't want to get into a semantics debate, but yeah, not all lust is a sin. Lusting after my wife isn't a sin. God is concerned with matters of the heart not legalism.

10-12-2011, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 10:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-12-2011 09:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  2) Gay people are like straight people. Just gay. I'm not a judge, and I don't treat anyone differently. God created them gay for a reason; a reason I don't know, so who am I to treat them like they have a problem? Also, outlawing gay marriage is borderline retarded. How can you deny a basic civil right based on sexual orientation?

Bravo Christian, bravo. :thumbup:

(10-12-2011 09:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  3) Lusting is a sin. Masturbation is a result of lust. So, no... masturbation isn't a sin. It's a by product of a sin.

Dude, I dunno about you but I beat off for its prophylactic benefit to my prostate. Doctor's orders and all that.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-12-2011, 10:18 PM
(10-12-2011 10:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-12-2011 09:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  2) Gay people are like straight people. Just gay. I'm not a judge, and I don't treat anyone differently. God created them gay for a reason; a reason I don't know, so who am I to treat them like they have a problem? Also, outlawing gay marriage is borderline retarded. How can you deny a basic civil right based on sexual orientation?

Bravo Christian, bravo.

(10-12-2011 09:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  3) Lusting is a sin. Masturbation is a result of lust. So, no... masturbation isn't a sin. It's a by product of a sin.

Dude, I dunno about you but I beat off for its prophylactic benefit to my prostate. Doctor's orders and all that.

lol I'm probably one of the strangest Christians you've ever talked to, huh?

10-12-2011, 10:22 PM
(10-12-2011 10:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  lol I'm probably one of the strangest Christians you've ever talked to, huh?

Sadly, no. Not by far. Not by far...[Image: facepalm.gif]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-12-2011, 11:06 PM
(10-12-2011 10:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  lol I'm probably one of the strangest Christians you've ever talked to, huh?

Nah, you're just pleasantly naive and deluded, like most of my friends and colleagues. I got no problem with that.

(10-12-2011 10:22 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Sadly, no. Not by far. Not by far...[Image: facepalm.gif]

Now this fucker I find seriously strange. I can understand and appreciate HoC. Certifiably batshit insane is a nice place to visit, but few of us can live and even thrive there. But some switch in this Hellbound Preacher's wiring was tripped after decades of belief. That seems strange and makes me curious to know further details.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-12-2011, 11:19 PM
(10-12-2011 05:22 PM)ddrew Wrote:  LOL!! Now that was entertaining ... I've many of heads roll and explode over debating that one with theists ... I be one of dem persistant fuggers that'll make ya run from the room. ... well thank you for clearing that up lol... now back to my brandy and eggnog...

You're doing it wrong.

Fireball and Eggnog.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
10-12-2011, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 11:33 PM by Erxomai.)
(10-12-2011 10:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Lusting after my wife isn't a sin.

That's a load off my mind, pardon the pun.

Thanks bro, now I don't have to feel so bad about what I was thinking about last night.

And this morning.

And this afternoon.

And...Hm...where was that picture again?
(10-12-2011 11:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Now this fucker I find seriously strange. I can understand and appreciate HoC. Certifiably batshit insane is a nice place to visit, but few of us can live and even thrive there. But some switch in this Hellbound Preacher's wiring was tripped after decades of belief. That seems strange and makes me curious to know further details.

GM, I like you. I don't advise you to go too deep into my mind. The things these eyes have seen. The thoughts this mind has had...
Can be best described in this manner:

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-12-2011, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 12:13 AM by Mr Woof.)
(10-12-2011 11:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-12-2011 05:22 PM)ddrew Wrote:  LOL!! Now that was entertaining ... I've many of heads roll and explode over debating that one with theists ... I be one of dem persistant fuggers that'll make ya run from the room. ... well thank you for clearing that up lol... now back to my brandy and eggnog...

You're doing it wrong.

Fireball and Eggnog.

I really find this post inappropriately named.

The term theist applies to Jews, Christians and Moslems.

As a Calvinist , Baptist, or whatever your anwers simply relate
to your pre determined (by you) elitist position.
(10-12-2011 11:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

You're doing it wrong.

Fireball and Eggnog.

I really find this post inappropriately named.

The term theist applies to Jews, Christians and Moslems.

As a Calvinist , Baptist, or whatever, your anwers simply relate
to your pre determined (by you) elitist position.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post