Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
30-05-2012, 11:00 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(16-05-2012 03:36 PM)angry-santa Wrote:  Iv'e got one; Why is hell an infinite punishment for a finite transgression?

Lets say my "sins" are blasphamy, some minor adultry and I stole from a blind guy, Why is my afterlife punishment the same length as say a mass murderer or Hitler?

It's not your sins per se that damn you to hell; however, it's the lack of being elect. Sin results in hell. God created sin and for humans to sin; therefore damning humanity. His grace granted a few salvation.

But as for your question more specifically, only perfection can enter heaven. Since humanity is sinful, no one can enter heaven, no matter how "small" for finite the sin is. Christ imputed His righteousness to the elect; therefore, the elect's sins are forgiven.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2012, 11:03 AM
(16-05-2012 03:50 PM)Crusher Wrote:  Assuming the OP doesn't do everything the bible tells him to do like sell all his posessions and kill gays, cheating husbands and wives, children who don't listen, etc.

Do you think your god was thinking "it's ok if you don't take everything litteraly, you can just pick things from the bible and not do other parts because you personally thing it's wrong" or was his opinion more like "the bible is my word, you will do everything it says!!"
In short
Do you think cherrypicking from the bible was Gods idea when he wrote the bible?

Jewish purity laws and laws were for the Jews. They were meant to set the Jews apart from all the other nations... basically to have other nations say "wtf is up with those weirdos."

The laws were also there to preserve the purity of the Messianic line.

You have to read scripture in context, and, in actuality, saying that modern day Christians should kill gays is cherry picking the Bible and taking it out of context.

30-05-2012, 11:05 AM
(19-05-2012 02:34 PM)Vosur Wrote:  "Now, Israel

This is what I'm talking about.

30-05-2012, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 12:56 PM by Vosur.)
(30-05-2012 11:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 02:34 PM)Vosur Wrote:  "Now, Israel
This is what I'm talking about.
But why do you think that cherry-picking God's law should be okay for us if it wasn't okay for the Israelites? I doubt that God's opinion about this has changed at all.

Edit: more friendly formulation Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
30-05-2012, 11:12 AM
(23-05-2012 08:32 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Hi! This is my first time stepping up and trying to ask a serious question, and I thought I might as well try this thread.

What (Physical) evidence do you know of, or at least think you know of, that might be in favor of your particular world view (Calvinist,Christian)?

Just wanted to see if anything you give to me would be at least worth looking up and find more information about.

I'm not sure about the question. Do you mean biblically or evidence in my personal life?

30-05-2012, 11:16 AM
(30-05-2012 10:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-05-2012 10:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  God controls that. God has predetermined every bit of minutia ever.
How could you possibly know this?

I don't "know" anything (I'm not omniscient). This is my belief based on my understanding of God. If God is a being that is omnipotent and omniscient, then everything down to the smallest minutia was planned by Him.

04-06-2012, 01:35 PM
(30-05-2012 11:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(16-05-2012 03:50 PM)Crusher Wrote:  Assuming the OP doesn't do everything the bible tells him to do like sell all his posessions and kill gays, cheating husbands and wives, children who don't listen, etc.

Do you think your god was thinking "it's ok if you don't take everything litteraly, you can just pick things from the bible and not do other parts because you personally thing it's wrong" or was his opinion more like "the bible is my word, you will do everything it says!!"
In short
Do you think cherrypicking from the bible was Gods idea when he wrote the bible?

Jewish purity laws and laws were for the Jews. They were meant to set the Jews apart from all the other nations... basically to have other nations say "wtf is up with those weirdos."

The laws were also there to preserve the purity of the Messianic line.

You have to read scripture in context, and, in actuality, saying that modern day Christians should kill gays is cherry picking the Bible and taking it out of context.
It was just an example, so the bible should only be followed litteraly by jews? Shouldn't the Messianic line be preserved now? Are the ten commandments also just for the jews? How different do messages like Luke 12:33 become when you put them in context?

chan chan ki sikin aman
04-06-2012, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2012 02:23 PM by Atothetheist.)
(30-05-2012 11:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-05-2012 08:32 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Hi! This is my first time stepping up and trying to ask a serious question, and I thought I might as well try this thread.

What (Physical) evidence do you know of, or at least think you know of, that might be in favor of your particular world view (Calvinist,Christian)?

Just wanted to see if anything you give to me would be at least worth looking up and find more information about.

I'm not sure about the question. Do you mean biblically or evidence in my personal life?
Physical. I do not consider using the bible as evidence( unless it relates to something we can observe nowadays.). I prefer physical, feelable, observable evidence that supports your particular worldview.

I dislike using personal experiences because they are just that... Personal.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
04-06-2012, 05:41 PM
(30-05-2012 11:16 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-05-2012 10:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  How could you possibly know this?

I don't "know" anything (I'm not omniscient). This is my belief based on my understanding of God. If God is a being that is omnipotent and omniscient, then everything down to the smallest minutia was planned by Him.
So... Then... You believe there is no free will?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
05-06-2012, 12:53 AM
(04-06-2012 05:41 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  So... Then... You believe there is no free will?
You believe there is? Wink