Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
08-06-2012, 10:24 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Hi, KC

I was pondering on christianity during the dark ages and during the 1st century christians and such.

And I was wondering...

What (to the best of your knowledge) was their outlook on the creative days and taking the bible literally and such? How were they suppose to interpret scripture?

Thanx

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2012, 10:55 PM
(07-06-2012 12:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 10:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I have eaten baby before... remember? But then, I saw the error of my ways.
Shhhh - there are actually atheists who don't eat babies - don't tell anyone.

Yea... not like I'm kidding anyone; I'm a vegetarian. Shy

So, Kingsy - how 'bout that God dude and that crazy Satan guy, huh? Uhm, ever seen 'em together?
I mean, they both talk about each other... and people tell stories about them hanging out and such...but ... not really... in the same place... at the same time.
Just thinking out loud, I s'pose. Unsure

Heart It's ok that you're a kook; I still love you as a human being.
A human being a kook. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-06-2012, 03:18 PM
(08-06-2012 10:24 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Hi, KC

I was pondering on christianity during the dark ages and during the 1st century christians and such.

And I was wondering...

What (to the best of your knowledge) was their outlook on the creative days and taking the bible literally and such? How were they suppose to interpret scripture?

Thanx

The literal creation is a fairly recent interpretation. I'm not sure what they believed in the Middle Ages, though.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-06-2012, 03:19 PM
(08-06-2012 10:55 PM)kim Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 12:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  Shhhh - there are actually atheists who don't eat babies - don't tell anyone.

Yea... not like I'm kidding anyone; I'm a vegetarian. Shy

So, Kingsy - how 'bout that God dude and that crazy Satan guy, huh? Uhm, ever seen 'em together?
I mean, they both talk about each other... and people tell stories about them hanging out and such...but ... not really... in the same place... at the same time.
Just thinking out loud, I s'pose. Unsure

Heart It's ok that you're a kook; I still love you as a human being.
A human being a kook. Shy

lol, I love you, Kim. You make me smile.

Anyway, there are several instances in the Bible where Satan and God are together; however, Satan is always the subordinate.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
11-06-2012, 03:59 PM
(11-06-2012 03:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  lol, I love you, Kim. You make me smile.

Anyway, there are several instances in the Bible where Satan and God are together; however, Satan is always the subordinate.
So... I'm confused. Which of you is Satan?
12-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Do you think that the resurrection of Jesus really happened or that it is, like the creation of Adam and Eve, just a figurative story? Your answer to this should be obvious, but I don't want to base my next question on an assumption.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
12-06-2012, 01:04 PM
KC, do you believe that God will save all of the people he has damned in the end?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
12-06-2012, 02:19 PM
(12-06-2012 12:32 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Do you think that the resurrection of Jesus really happened or that it is, like the creation of Adam and Eve, just a figurative story? Your answer to this should be obvious, but I don't want to base my next question on an assumption.

There is nothing in the text or historical tradition that suggests that Jesus was figurative.

So, yes, I think it happened.

12-06-2012, 02:20 PM
(12-06-2012 01:04 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  KC, do you believe that God will save all of the people he has damned in the end?

No.

12-06-2012, 03:13 PM
(12-06-2012 02:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  There is nothing in the text or historical tradition that suggests that Jesus was figurative.

So, yes, I think it happened.
Seems like my assumption was correct, so here's the next question: Do you also believe that all the other miracles and supernatural events described in the Bible actually happened? Such as the ten plagues, Noah's Flood, Jonah being swallowed by a fish and surviving three days, etc.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]