Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
27-07-2012, 12:20 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
A question to a theist... will there ever by an atheist gathering point that does not have theists intruding on their thoughts? There are plenty of theist gathering points and I'm sure that they don't all have resident atheists. Some, but not all.

Very curious.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2012, 12:53 PM
(27-07-2012 12:20 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  A question to a theist... will there ever by an atheist gathering point that does not have theists intruding on their thoughts? There are plenty of theist gathering points and I'm sure that they don't all have resident atheists. Some, but not all.

Very curious.

Comic relief. Our pet theists are for comic relief.Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-07-2012, 02:59 PM
I got a question: Do you think people can be moral or immoral?

I haven't seen anybody ask you this, and was thinking it might prove something in my head if I got an honest answer.

Also, another one: Does God control everything, and is God nonjudgeable based on his actions?

Sorry, but I just thought of one other: you mentioned this about guns....

If a man killed with a gun, is it the guns fault, or the persons?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
27-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Does this specialness to be elect pass on through children? So would your kid be elect?
29-07-2012, 11:18 PM
(09-12-2011 06:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 06:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My wife and I have wonderful sex. We have any and all sex, and we still have sex like we did our first year of marriage. We take joy in our sex. There is nothing dirty about sex, and in fact, it is as natural as eating or drinking. God ordained our sex life and gave us the desire to get freaky with each other Smile

I wanted to answer this one for you:

Lucradis, Dude...did you or did you not see that picture of his wife. How's his sex life? Duh!
(09-12-2011 06:16 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  it's not antidisestablishmentarianism? Big Grin

No. If I recall, it's even longer. Big Grin

Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't you be asking the all seeing and all knowing google?
30-07-2012, 12:56 AM
2 Kings 18:27
27 But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?

Malachi 2:3
3 Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it.

What's the message behind these verses?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
30-07-2012, 07:46 AM
(25-07-2012 09:08 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  "I knew that I was elect because I learned that those who are elect can hear the will of God and those that aren’t cannot even understand it."

This was complete and utter nonsense then and it still is today.
Not to mention it remains incredibly arrogant. Angry

I haven't denied the arrogance of election. But, by it's very nature, it is arrogant. The belief is arrogant; not the person.

Quote:Surely those around the world who call themselves "elect" have consistent views about the world and the Great Absent One's role in it? Yet, this is not so. What you will find is inconsistency across the board. Many of those "elect" views are in direct opposition to one another. How can that be?

It didn't used to be that way. Election was common and easily understood. Dispensationalism muddied the water, and then, it became the standard in most Protestant beliefs; thus, changing a fundamental system of belief. Indoctrination ensures the existence of freewill.

Quote:This inconsistency in NO way supports what KC believes to be true and preaches here. It does support ideas like a chemical imbalance in the brain and so forth.
It also demonstrates how inept the god of KC must be if it exists. It is unable to come up with a better and far more effective method of transferring information other than to mysteriously tell a few folks in a vague way and hope for the best.
A god like that is a useless turd if that is how it really operates. I mean, how many people here are convinced that KC is really "elect"?

You are free to believe that.

Quote:KC refuses to consider any of the other many possibilities other than a religious explanation for his delusions. He just "knows" it to be true. He is clinging to faith a bit too hard which has led him astray of reality.

That is not true. I have said several times all the different roads I considered.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
30-07-2012, 07:47 AM
(25-07-2012 07:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-07-2012 08:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  What I said in this thread.

Evidence for me being elect:

Growing up, I was always embarrassed of Christianity and whenever my parents talked about Jesus. I thought church was silly, and I found the stories nothing more than fantasy.

I finally accepted agnosticism in college as my official belief, and I began to rip Christianity apart with the use of logic and rationality. I would combat Christians on the Internet via forums and use the aforementioned tactics against them to make them look like fools. I was good at it.

Driving home from work one day, my life changed. My heart was opened to a higher power; even though I didn't know whom. I'll try my best to explain this: I found myself suddenly and sincerely praying and listening to this higher power for guidance. This was wholly strange to me because up until that moment I didn't believe in a God that I could talk to.

My beliefs so drastically changed than I began to get angry with myself. I didn't understand how I could rationally accept that there was a higher power that I could converse with. It wasn't logical. Also, I never wanted to talk to a higher power, and I didn't understand how I was doing it if I didn't choose to. My knowledge of religion pre-empted the idea that I had to choose it.

The higher power led me to read and study the Bible. This was the first time that I’ve ever actually done it. It was at this time that I realized that the higher power I was talking to was the Christian God; however, I still didn’t understand why I didn’t get a choice. As my studying intensified, I began to learn about election. And then, it made sense. I realized that then reason I didn’t have a choice is because I was never planned to have a choice.

I knew that I was elect because I learned that those who are elect can hear the will of God and those that aren’t cannot even understand it.

So, that’s my evidence. I guess the most concrete part of it is the fact that my beliefs radically changed and became cemented by no choice of my own.

You did have a choice and you chose to suspend reason and critical thinking.

No, Chas.

No, I didn't.

30-07-2012, 07:48 AM
(26-07-2012 04:10 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Uh oh, here comes WW3..

Nah. We already had that Smile

30-07-2012, 07:49 AM
(26-07-2012 05:01 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'm curious KC.. do you assert that any belief's are choices?

There is definitely a growing school of thought that would delegate that belief's are not choices. Not to say there is no free will, but in the case of what someone actually believes, there is not a choice being made in any instance.

You could have thoughts and understanding on subjects. But a belief is a culmination of what one thinks is correct based on their experiences, preferences, and understanding of topics.

I think that's close to the Sam Harris stance on belief. I'm curious what you think about this, whether you stand in agreement, disagreement, or undecided.

I do not believe that any beliefs are choices. I believe everything, even my typing this message is ordained by God. Every piece of minutia ever is His doing. If not, He is not all powerful and all knowing.