Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
02-08-2012, 10:15 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(02-08-2012 10:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 09:54 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Do you love your wife, or did God make you love her?

More or less, I am asking how you deal with the devalueing of emotions such as love.

So, did you choose your wife to love, or did God make you love her.

If God is truly omnipotent, then God chose that for me. That doesn't mean that I don't love her; it's just that He was the engine that controlled the love.

Don't really see how that is any different from non-believers who believe (which is true in science) that the brain controls the love emotion.

I just believe that is one more level - God. And, He controls and preplanned all of it.
You didn't get to choose who you loved, you have no will of your own. Some of us do get to choose who we love. We can't change who we are attracted to, but love is something deeper than that.

We choose to love who we most agree with.

Btw, the brain is still me, but God isn't me, so it still begs the question: If you had free will, would love be a greater emotion?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
02-08-2012, 10:19 AM
(02-08-2012 10:15 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If God is truly omnipotent, then God chose that for me. That doesn't mean that I don't love her; it's just that He was the engine that controlled the love.

Don't really see how that is any different from non-believers who believe (which is true in science) that the brain controls the love emotion.

I just believe that is one more level - God. And, He controls and preplanned all of it.
You didn't get to choose who you loved, you have no will of your own. Some of us do get to choose who we love. We can't change who we are attracted to, but love is something deeper than that.

Btw, the brain is still me, but God isn't me, so it still begs the question: If you had free will, would love be a greater emotion?

I think the definition of "greater" is relative.

To you, yes it is because you don't believe in God.

To me, however, it is no because I believe in a perfect God; therefore, His choosing for my emotions is on the greatest scale that it could be. If I could choose my emotions, they would pale in comparison to what God would have chosen for me because I'm imperfect.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-08-2012, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2012 10:30 AM by Vosur.)
(02-08-2012 10:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's possible.

I'm not a very social person, anyway. So, I don't have any close friends. I prefer to be in the background most of the time.
I should have been more specific. How would you deal with being married to someone who you think is deluded? And how would you explain to your kids why believing in god is all of the sudden nonsense?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
02-08-2012, 10:28 AM
(02-08-2012 10:20 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's possible.

I'm not a very social person, anyway. So, I don't have any close friends. I prefer to be in the background most of the time.
I should have been more speficic. How would you deal with being married to someone who you think is deluded? And how would you explain to your kids why believing in god is all of the sudden nonsense?

Hmmmm... yeah, that would make for a difficult life. I've never thought about that.

02-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Jeez KC you should plan ahead... maybe start telling them it's bullshit now so it's not such a shock when you do decide to join the dark side Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-08-2012, 10:32 AM
(02-08-2012 10:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmmm... yeah, that would make for a difficult life. I've never thought about that.
So, would it be safe to say that you're stuck in a situation where even if you wanted to let go of your faith and abolish religion, you wouldn't be able to do so? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
02-08-2012, 10:35 AM
(02-08-2012 10:19 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:15 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  You didn't get to choose who you loved, you have no will of your own. Some of us do get to choose who we love. We can't change who we are attracted to, but love is something deeper than that.

I think the definition of "greater" is relative.

To me, however, it is no because I believe in a perfect God; therefore, His choosing for my emotions is on the greatest scale that it could be. If I could choose my emotions, they would pale in comparison to what God would have chosen for me because I'm imperfect.

Perhaps I should rephrase it.

Would the emotion feel more self fufilling and worth it, knowing it came from you, and not from a being that controls you.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
02-08-2012, 10:43 AM
(02-08-2012 10:32 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmmm... yeah, that would make for a difficult life. I've never thought about that.
So, would it be safe to say that you're stuck in a situation where even if you wanted to let go of your faith and abolish religion, you wouldn't be able to do so? Consider

I'm not that type of person... so no. If I truly wanted it, I would make it happen.

I never considered it because I know (as much as I can know, I can never know all) I'm elect.

02-08-2012, 10:44 AM
(02-08-2012 10:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Jeez KC you should plan ahead... maybe start telling them it's bullshit now so it's not such a shock when you do decide to join the dark side Big Grin

I know, right? Smile

02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
(02-08-2012 10:35 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:19 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I think the definition of "greater" is relative.

Perhaps I should rephrase it.

Would the emotion feel more self fufilling and worth it, knowing it came from you, and not from a being that controls you.

For me, no. My acceptance that I'm flawed prevents me from thinking that. Also, my acceptance that God is perfect further prevents it.