Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(02-08-2012 10:43 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:32 AM)Vosur Wrote:  So, would it be safe to say that you're stuck in a situation where even if you wanted to let go of your faith and abolish religion, you wouldn't be able to do so? Consider

I'm not that type of person... so no. If I truly wanted it, I would make it happen.

I never considered it because I know (as much as I can know, I can never know all) I'm elect.

As far as you imagine, you are elect.

I hope QC is just humoring you and isn't participating in a folie a deux.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 10:48 AM
(02-08-2012 10:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:43 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm not that type of person... so no. If I truly wanted it, I would make it happen.

I never considered it because I know (as much as I can know, I can never know all) I'm elect.

As far as you imagine, you are elect.

She feels the same as I do.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
02-08-2012, 10:54 AM
(02-08-2012 10:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:35 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Perhaps I should rephrase it.

Would the emotion feel more self fufilling and worth it, knowing it came from you, and not from a being that controls you.

For me, no. My acceptance that I'm flawed prevents me from thinking that. Also, my acceptance that God is perfect further prevents it.

So, are you telling me you are too flawed to love somebody by yourself, without God? And that emotion needs to come from an outside agent that bends you to his will?

How far are you willing to go to make yourself out to be a completly inept human in order to establish God's perfectness?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
02-08-2012, 10:54 AM
(02-08-2012 10:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:20 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I should have been more speficic. How would you deal with being married to someone who you think is deluded? And how would you explain to your kids why believing in god is all of the sudden nonsense?

Hmmmm... yeah, that would make for a difficult life. I've never thought about that.

Because you are not applying critical thinking to this. You never have, despite your belief that you have.

You had a mental/emotional experience and dismissed any of the physical or psychological causes.
You base your belief on a feeling and on your tortured interpretations of a book that is provably wrong. It is full of factual error, it is full of contradiction, it is full of copying errors, it has been changed by people, it is a collection of stories selected from a larger collection of candidates, and we don't even have the original 'inspired' texts.

Please don't insult us with calling your defense rational, logical, or critical.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Earlier in this thread you stated that you think that your belief is illogical. Why do you indoctrinate your children into a belief of which you know that no rational/critical thinking human would believe in?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
(02-08-2012 10:54 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  For me, no. My acceptance that I'm flawed prevents me from thinking that. Also, my acceptance that God is perfect further prevents it.

So, are you telling me you are too flawed to love somebody by yourself, without God? And that emotion needs to come from an outside agent that bends you to his will?

How far are you willing to go to make yourself out to be a completly inept human in order to establish God's perfectness?

I don't have to go far. I'll flat out say it. I'm completely inept in all aspects of everything without God's perfect planning of my life.

02-08-2012, 11:00 AM
(02-08-2012 10:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmmm... yeah, that would make for a difficult life. I've never thought about that.

Because you are not applying critical thinking to this. You never have, despite your belief that you have.

You had a mental/emotional experience and dismissed any of the physical or psychological causes.
You base your belief on a feeling and on your tortured interpretations of a book that is provably wrong. It is full of factual error, it is full of contradiction, it is full of copying errors, it has been changed by people, it is a collection of stories selected from a larger collection of candidates, and we don't even have the original 'inspired' texts.

Please don't insult us with calling your defense rational, logical, or critical.

Wait, what?

I think you misread what I said. Either that, or I don't understand why you posted that.

02-08-2012, 11:03 AM
(02-08-2012 10:55 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Earlier in this thread you stated that you think that your belief is illogical. Why do you indoctrinate your children into a belief of which you know that no rational/critical thinking human would believe in?

It's illogical in the sense of of what is tangible and to others who don't have faith. I have rational/critical thinking and I believe it. I am also going to encourage my children to study and learn and think for themselves to improve their rational and critical thinking skills.

02-08-2012, 11:04 AM
(02-08-2012 11:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:55 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Earlier in this thread you stated that you think that your belief is illogical. Why do you indoctrinate your children into a belief of which you know that no rational/critical thinking human would believe in?

It's illogical in the sense of of what is tangible and to others who don't have faith. I have rational/critical thinking and I believe it. I am also going to encourage my children to study and learn and think for themselves to improve their rational and critical thinking skills.

But you don't have critical thinking, God made you and controlled you to do that.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
02-08-2012, 11:07 AM
(02-08-2012 10:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 10:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  As far as you imagine, you are elect.

She feels the same as I do.

Or she's just quite good at humoring you.