Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
02-08-2012, 04:02 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Hang on a sec before you jump all over the man for mindlessness Smile If you buy into my model of *da universe* (which I will now forcefully vend to you Big Grin ), then free will is an illusion generated by our brains too. So... it's not like that makes his theology more repulsive to me. *I* am (theoretically, in my half-assed understanding at any rate) a mindless, will-less automaton.

The repulsive bit for me is theology itself. It's such witchcraft and woo and cobbled together science...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 04:07 PM
[Image: 439352014_17b724a8c2_o.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
02-08-2012, 04:15 PM
(02-08-2012 04:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hang on a sec before you jump all over the man for mindlessness Smile If you buy into my model of *da universe* (which I will now forcefully vend to you Big Grin ), then free will is an illusion generated by our brains too. So... it's not like that makes his theology more repulsive to me. *I* am (theoretically, in my half-assed understanding at any rate) a mindless, will-less automaton.

The repulsive bit for me is theology itself. It's such witchcraft and woo and cobbled together science...

Yeah, but the brain is still part of us, it is still us making the decisions, for us. God is an outside agent that, by KCs, theology makes all of our decisions, and shit.

God is the Creepy loner who says to himself "Now kiss!" and makes the barbies kiss.

Not only that, but you are a mindless shell, not able to do anything, unless the CL controls you.

You are a slave, and an eternal one, until your master grants you death.

( This is atrocious thinking.)

Senseless and unefficient death is Gods M.O.

Subsribing to this thinking we can conclude God is not German.

Germans are effiecient, and at least most of them moral beings.

God is neither of those.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
(02-08-2012 04:15 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Yeah, but the brain is still part of us, it is still us making the decisions, for us.

But it has no choice in making those decisions... only the illusion of choice. We just sit thinking we're in the driver's seat but none of the damn gears work and neither does the steering wheel. It's a *damn good simulation*...

But yeah, even chance that I'm talking bullshit...
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
(02-08-2012 04:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:15 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Yeah, but the brain is still part of us, it is still us making the decisions, for us.

But it has no choice in making those decisions... only the illusion of choice. We just sit thinking we're in the driver's seat but none of the damn gears work and neither does the steering wheel. It's a *damn good simulation*...

Nope, because everything we are, is the brain. Our personality is part of the brain, so it is us making the choice, we are just not aware of it.

02-08-2012, 04:34 PM
(02-08-2012 04:32 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  But it has no choice in making those decisions... only the illusion of choice. We just sit thinking we're in the driver's seat but none of the damn gears work and neither does the steering wheel. It's a *damn good simulation*...

Nope, because everything we are, is the brain. Our personality is part of the brain, so it is us making the choice, we are just not aware of it.

So your brain chooses the experiences you have in life? Chooses the neural pathways it makes in response to external stimulus? It's *not* us Big Grin
02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
(02-08-2012 04:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:32 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Nope, because everything we are, is the brain. Our personality is part of the brain, so it is us making the choice, we are just not aware of it.

So your brain chooses the experiences you have in life? Chooses the neural pathways it makes in response to external stimulus? It's *not* us Big Grin

Our brain is part of us.

Yup, it does.

02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Your personality is not just shaped by your brain.

Look

Brain

Made of atoms

Shaped by DNA

If your brain is hit by a brick

Your personality changes.

Your brain choose that?

If you meet a nice girl and she slaps you...

*Involuntarily* your brain absorbs that information.

Sure it feels like you making a choice, but you are ruled by your emotions and your experience. At least, this is what I'm arguing.

You can say "yeah it's all in your head", but *what* is all in my head? Atoms interact regardless of distance (apart from speed of light considerations)...

Sorry of this is garbled. Just setting stuff down as it (involuntarily) pops into my head...
02-08-2012, 04:43 PM
(02-08-2012 04:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  Your personality is not just shaped by your brain.

Look

Brain

Made of atoms

Shaped by DNA

Your brain choose that?

Sure it feels like you making a choice, but you are ruled by your emotions and your experience. At least, this is what I'm arguing.

You can say "yeah it's all in your head", but *what* is all in my head? Atoms interact regardless of distance (apart from speed of light considerations)...

Sorry of this is garbled. Just setting stuff down as it (involuntarily) pops into my head...

Not all of your choices are ruled by expierence. You have a choice in the matter.

I agree that you can be influenced, but I disagree with the no free-will.

You can be influenced, but your brain makes the choices based of the things it retains that are revelent ( or not). It is still the brain that makes the choices.

I chose to respond to you, God didn't control me.

02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
(02-08-2012 04:43 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  Your personality is not just shaped by your brain.

Look

Brain

Made of atoms

Shaped by DNA

Your brain choose that?

Not all of your choices are ruled by expierence. You have a choice in the matter.

I agree that you can be influenced, but I disagree with the no free-will.

You can be influenced, but your brain makes the choices based of the things it retains that are revelent ( or not). It is still the brain that makes the choices.

I chose to respond to you, God didn't control me.

Btw. The brain controls personality, if the brain gets injuried, it will malfunction, and, in cases, generate a new personality.

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post