Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
11-12-2011, 05:04 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(11-12-2011 04:59 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(11-12-2011 04:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Cannae forget Nessie. We got one o' them. Champie. Wink

I'd also like to thank Bigfoot and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morag_%28lo...%29/]Morag Nessies less well know cousin (There are alot of cryptids in my country)

Do you have any Chupacabras?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2011, 05:23 PM
(11-12-2011 05:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Do you have any Chupacabras?

Heres a list of some of the legendary creatures Here (not a complete list and some are shared with irish legends)
I dont know which ones are similar to Chupacabras. check out Nucklavee, i hadnt heard of it before but its nightmare material.

Kingschosen sorry for derailing your thread.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
11-12-2011, 05:29 PM
(11-12-2011 05:23 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Heres a list of some of the legendary creatures Here (not a complete list and some are shared with irish legends)
I dont know which ones are similar to Chupacabras. check out Nucklavee, i hadnt heard of it before but its nightmare material.

Kingschosen sorry for derailing your thread.

NUCKLAVEE
[Image: GW649H700]

The following seems like important advice. Why aren't we more aware of these sorts of solutions to these sorts of cryptids?

Quote:He resembles a centaur whose lesg are part fin; he has an enormous gaping mouth and a single giant eye, which burns with a red flame. The most gruesome detail of his appearance is the fact that he has no skin. black blood courses through yellow veins, and the pale sinews and powerful muscles are visible as a pulsating mass. The Nuckelavee has an aversion to running water, and those who are chased by him have only to cross a stream to be rid of him.

The other fear of the Nukelavee is the smell of burning seaweed to create kelp. This will enrage the Nukelavee sending it into a fit of rage he would go on killing fields of cattle the only person that can stop him is The Mither O'the Sea, another ancient god-like being of Orkney mythology.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-12-2011, 05:42 PM
(11-12-2011 09:04 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(11-12-2011 06:45 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Who would win in a fight, Jesus or a T-Rex ridden by chuck Norris?
Tongue

Nominated as Best question of 2011.

Well this is what it might look like without the T-Rex ... take a look...

http://chucknorrisvsjesuschrist.ytmnd.com/

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
11-12-2011, 05:46 PM
(11-12-2011 05:42 PM)ddrew Wrote:  http://chucknorrisvsjesuschrist.ytmnd.com/

Man, I hope for your sake Chuck Norris doesn't see this sacrilege.

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-12-2011, 05:48 PM
(11-12-2011 05:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(11-12-2011 05:42 PM)ddrew Wrote:  http://chucknorrisvsjesuschrist.ytmnd.com/

Man, I hope for your sake Chuck Norris doesn't see this sacrilege.

I'm a deadman if he does see it....

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
11-12-2011, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 07:11 PM by kingschosen.)
(11-12-2011 01:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-12-2011 09:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  2) Gay people are like straight people. Just gay. I'm not a judge, and I don't treat anyone differently. God created them gay for a reason; a reason I don't know, so who am I to treat them like they have a problem? Also, outlawing gay marriage is borderline retarded. How can you deny a basic civil right based on sexual orientation?

3) Lusting is a sin. Masturbation is a result of lust. So, no... masturbation isn't a sin. It's a by product of a sin.

For these answers... you realise by the definition of Christian most people go by, even many of those who self-identify as Christians would hardly recognize you? I mean, I think even most Calvinists would probably dislike your position for example on gays? Is this your personal opinion, or is it common throughout your church? Or am I incorrect and is this in fact the mainstream Calvinist position?

But the main thing I wanted to say is YAY Smile You're a man of integrity. I knew I could respect you. Even though you're a pretty far-out and wacky dude Wink

Yeah, I realize that my beliefs are steps towards a liberal type of Christianity. Besides my brother, I don't know of anyone else that believes the way I do. I'm a theistic evolutionist-amillennial-Calvinist while almost every other Christian I know is a YEC-pretrib-dispensationalist-Arminian.

And yes, many of those people do not share my views on homosexuals; however, their theology is inconsistent. Many of the other things that are considered "immoral" in the Christian community may get a shrug or at worst a tsk tsk tsk. Honestly, my stance on homosexuals shouldn't be surprising since you know my stance on sin.

We were created to sin. Only God can judge what is a sin. Someone else's sin is of no concern of mine unless it presents harm to my being. I really don't care if someone is gay. To me, they are a fallen, depraved, sinful human just like me - a straight person.

Oh, and I appreciate the compliments Smile
(11-12-2011 03:08 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Ah, thanks for the answers... but it seems God is actively trying to hide his motives from doing things...

I think God, if he exists, is some extra-dimensional scientist, and we are his test subjects/creation.

So, is it true to say that faith, and ONLY faith is the path to God?

I love this quote from the Mothman Prophecies (since you implied that God is hiding stuff from us instead of telling us His intentions).

Man 1: (when talking about the Mothman) If it's so advanced, why doesn't it just explain itself to us.
Man 2: You're more advanced than a cockroach; have you ever tried to explain yourself to one.
(11-12-2011 05:03 AM)Monk Wrote:  12 pages later. Still no evidence for Yahweh.

I'll refer you to ground rule #1.
(11-12-2011 06:45 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Who would win in a fight, Jesus or a T-Rex ridden by chuck Norris?
Tongue

Cthulhu
(11-12-2011 08:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-12-2011 07:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  3) Lusting is a sin. Masturbation is a result of lust. So, no... masturbation isn't a sin. It's a by product of a sin.

So, coveting your neighbor's ox or ass is a sin, but stealing it as a result is not?

And, lusting after your neighbor's wife is a sin, but screwing her is not?

Stealing is a sin. That's clearly defined. Adultery is a sin. That's also clearly define. Masturbation is a gray area. I should have clarified that that is my opinion.
@Starcrash
*WARNING - THIS IS MY VIEW AS A CALVINIST - PLEASE PUT ON YOUR CALVINIST GLASSES*

Jesus was using the RYR as an example of elect vs non-elect. Jesus often taught in parables and symbolism decided to use the instance before Him as a teaching tool. Jesus made it impossible for the RYR to receive salvation while the RYR couldn't figure out why would could not have eternal life.

Jesus uses the metaphor of "rich" to tell the disciples that the non-elect could never get into heaven. The disciples obviously understood what He was saying because they were astonished at it, and then ask about who could get into heaven and their own salvation (this obviously applies to the non-rich).

Take this conversation into context. If Jesus was literally talking about the rich, then why would the disciples ask about everyone else including themselves?

Jesus also plainly says it when He says, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
11-12-2011, 08:25 PM
(11-12-2011 11:07 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(10-12-2011 10:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, I don't want to get into a semantics debate, but yeah, not all lust is a sin. Lusting after my wife isn't a sin. God is concerned with matters of the heart not legalism.

We got no probs, KC. I just drop in with my two cents once in a while. Seems I got a coupla doobs bet on ya. Wink
(11-12-2011 05:03 AM)Monk Wrote:  12 pages later. Still no evidence for Yahweh.

YHWH in the house! Gotta back up the youngster with pre-existing factoids. Wink

I could never have a problem with Doc Hoc.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
11-12-2011, 08:34 PM
(11-12-2011 06:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  PLEASE PUT ON YOUR CALVINIST GLASSES

Actually, it makes sense in that context. I understood it all, though I still disagree with his being rich as metaphor - to assume it is (without Jesus stating as much) means you could assume that Jesus "healing blind men" is the same as "giving hobos a minute of his attention". But if that's our presupposition, then everything you said is quite logical.

Thanks for your answer.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
11-12-2011, 08:37 PM
(11-12-2011 08:34 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(11-12-2011 06:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  PLEASE PUT ON YOUR CALVINIST GLASSES

Actually, it makes sense in that context. I understood it all, though I still disagree with his being rich as metaphor - to assume it is (without Jesus stating as much) means you could assume that Jesus "healing blind men" is the same as "giving hobos a minute of his attention". But if that's our presupposition, then everything you said is quite logical.

Thanks for your answer.

Great analogy for the metaphor.

That sounds weird, but I think you know what I mean. You start playing Exegetical Gymnastics and you never know where it will end up. Actually, I do know where it ends up. It ends up in Atheism. Big Grin

~Izel