Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
09-08-2012, 11:34 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
What do you think atheists are missing out on, when it comes to religion?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 11:39 AM
(09-08-2012 11:34 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  What do you think atheists are missing out on, when it comes to religion?
Being controlled by god. After all, you're completely inept without his perfect planning in every aspect of your life. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
09-08-2012, 11:40 AM
(09-08-2012 11:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 11:34 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  What do you think atheists are missing out on, when it comes to religion?
Being controlled by god. After all, you're completely inept without his perfect planning in every aspect of your life. Drinking Beverage

Nope. God's controlling you and me right now as we post Tongue
09-08-2012, 11:54 AM
(09-08-2012 11:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 11:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Being controlled by god. After all, you're completely inept without his perfect planning in every aspect of your life. Drinking Beverage

Nope. God's controlling you and me right now as we post Tongue

Hey, you two! Stop it! You're not theists; let the theists get a word in edgewise.Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Jesus Christ! (that was in gods plan for me to post that) Rolleyes with a smirk towards the theists.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2012, 12:05 PM
(09-08-2012 11:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 11:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Nope. God's controlling you and me right now as we post Tongue

Hey, you two! Stop it! You're not theists; let the theists get a word in edgewise.Angry

God made me Tongue
09-08-2012, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 01:30 PM by fstratzero.)
What lead you from the "Road of Damascus" to calvinism. With all the different sects out there how does your version conquer the others?

Unrelated: [/quote]A video from a guy who touched Jesus, became a minister, and then became an atheist.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
10-08-2012, 02:06 AM
Okay, as being one who's recently discovered the whole debacle I'm somewhat confused. Probably by things that have been explained before but that still eludes me. Now, first of all, if you say "this is not my view" or anything of the sort I'll accept that, I don't expect you to defend the opinion of others.

The major gripe is when people say the bible is a metaphor or "you're not to take the bible litterally" which seems to only mean certain parts of the bible. Specifically parts the religious person doesn't agree with, such as rape, genocide, incest and so forth. I say only parts because if the entire book is a metaphor then so is God and Jesus, which means they aren't real and there's no point worshipping metaphors. And the litterally part falls apart when the same people take parts of the bible they agree with litterally!

My question to this cherry picking is, how are you supposed to know which parts to follow and which parts to not follow? Because it seems you're just picking the values you agree with and/or agrees with secular values. Is there some "sign" if it's supposed to be a metaphor or not?
And please don't say "you have to believe to understand" because that's avoiding the question. It's a book, pure and simple and for people who read the language the meaning should be clear.
11-08-2012, 09:06 AM
(05-08-2012 08:01 PM)Magoo Wrote:  
(30-07-2012 07:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's not inherited. It's only by God's choice.

I know it is only God's choice, but I thought he may be more inclined to save his chosen ones children.

Like Cain?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-08-2012, 09:08 AM

I can't say. I don't think you're missing out on anything within religion, but you are missing out on God.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]