Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
11-08-2012, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2012 04:23 PM by fstratzero.)
RE: Ask a Theist!
(11-08-2012 04:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The "elect" are the chosen believers. Not necessarily the interpreters of the Bible. God provides faith and insight to His elect. With this, He reveals what He wants for each individual via scripture.

Not sure where you got "the most important information ever". That's not something I ever said. The information in the Bible is a tool that God uses. He doesn't need it to reveal His plan to His elect; however, it is the medium He chose as a standard to instruct the elect.

Wait wait wait....

If you are elect and you interpret something from the bible, that interpretation is god telling you what you need to hear?

You do see how this promotes lunacy right?

Anything you think of can be interpreted from the bible and justified, by this definition. From murdering a person for Jesus to stuff the pages of the bible down a babies throat.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 04:23 PM
(11-08-2012 04:18 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 04:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The "elect" are the chosen believers. Not necessarily the interpreters of the Bible. God provides faith and insight to His elect. With this, He reveals what He wants for each individual via scripture.

Not sure where you got "the most important information ever". That's not something I ever said. The information in the Bible is a tool that God uses. He doesn't need it to reveal His plan to His elect; however, it is the medium He chose as a standard to instruct the elect.

Wait wait wait....

If you are elect and you interpret something from the bible, that interpretation is god telling you what you need to hear?

You do see how this promotes lunacy right?

I suppose I see what you're saying.

But, it's not like reading "Jesus wept" and you interpret that as you need to kill a bunch of people to make them cry.

It's a personal interpretation for circumstances in your life... troubles, insight, worries, etc

Concrete meanings and interpretations are governed by history, language, and context.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-08-2012, 04:27 PM
I know you think I was never elect, but do you think folks like me just thought we understood what we were reading in God's word, but really we were fooling ourselves?

(don't worry...I don't get bothered anymore when someone says I was never saved). Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-08-2012, 04:37 PM
(11-08-2012 04:27 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I know you think I was never elect, but do you think folks like me just thought we understood what we were reading in God's word, but really we were fooling ourselves?

(don't worry...I don't get bothered anymore when someone says I was never saved). Laughat

I didn't mean that non-elect can't understand the Bible, I meant the God doesn't provide insight about Himself to those that aren't His. People can take away knowledge or even spiritual insight from scripture; however, only the elect can be made aware of God.

So, for you, I believe that you were using your knowledge of church and Christianity to formulate a doppelganger for what you thought was God.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-08-2012, 04:39 PM
(11-08-2012 04:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 04:27 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I know you think I was never elect, but do you think folks like me just thought we understood what we were reading in God's word, but really we were fooling ourselves?

I didn't mean that non-elect can't understand the Bible, I meant the God doesn't provide insight about Himself to those that aren't His. People can take away knowledge or even spiritual insight from scripture; however, only the elect can be made aware of God.

So, for you, I believe that you were using your knowledge of church and Christianity to formulate a doppelganger for what you thought was God.

Well, I guess I was leaning more toward the I Cor. passage I posted. According to Paul, I shouldn't be able to have understood the wisdom of the cross. Unless I was like Simon Magus. Hm...Consider I was a wizard and didn't even know it!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Why wouldn't 'God' want everyone to be 'chosen'? Doesn't he want everyone to worship 'him' in Heaven? Why would 'he' want to take a chance on anyone being tortured for eternity?
11-08-2012, 04:47 PM
(11-08-2012 04:43 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  

Why wouldn't 'God' want everyone to be 'chosen'? Doesn't he want everyone to worship 'him' in Heaven? Why would 'he' want to take a chance on anyone being tortured for eternity?

Oh, man, don't even go there.

Now we're going to get tortuous double-speak from KC on election. You are asking for a rational explanation of an irrational, incoherent belief system.

KC, please just point him to previous posts.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-08-2012, 04:47 PM
(11-08-2012 04:43 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  

Isn't that obvious? It's all part of God's perfect plan.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
11-08-2012, 04:53 PM
(11-08-2012 04:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, man, don't even go there.

Now we're going to get tortuous double-speak from KC on election. You are asking for a rational explanation of an irrational, incoherent belief system.

Advice taken.

Ive heard it all before.
11-08-2012, 06:15 PM
(11-08-2012 04:53 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 04:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, man, don't even go there.

Advice taken.

Ive heard it all before.

Bottom-line...Jesus wouldn't have had anything to do if everyone was going to be saved. Drinking Beverage

~Izel