Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
11-08-2012, 09:14 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(11-08-2012 06:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 04:53 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  Advice taken.

Ive heard it all before.

Bottom-line...Jesus wouldn't have had anything to do if everyone was going to be saved. Drinking Beverage

Nah, still not coherent.

It just requires that anyone could be saved. Fuckin' Baptist/Calvinist crap about elect is the abhorrent theology.
If there are elect and non-elect, there was absolutely no need for Jesus-fucking-Christ at all.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Ask a Theist!
(11-08-2012 09:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 06:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Bottom-line...Jesus wouldn't have had anything to do if everyone was going to be saved. Drinking Beverage

Nah, still not coherent.

It just requires that anyone could be saved. Fuckin' Baptist/Calvinist crap about elect is the abhorrent theology.
If there are elect and non-elect, there was absolutely no need for Jesus-fucking-Christ at all.

Meh. I like my reason better.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
11-08-2012, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2012 11:52 PM by fstratzero.)
Well KC I don't hate you but your religion to me, seems harmful.

One day I hope you come to see that all the things in the world that is tangible is all we have.

The future of mankind is where our focus should be. Ensuring the future for the next generation of human beings, while supporting one another, and helping each person explore the boundaries of their skills.

Life is too short too damned be lost in make believe worlds.

All we have is reality, each other, and our own minds, and it's not evil to embrace the natural world around us.

Just a note. What men and women like you and I have achieved from understanding the natural world has saved more lives, healed more people, and even launched man kind into space. Your God has never sent us one iota of this life saving, expanding, growing, knowledge. Rather his worry is over faith, and behavior. This type of father is insane. Who would look at their own child and think, if you don't believe in me, do what I tell you, I will inflict pain on you passed your death until the end of time?

No human one. But if you really need your imaginary elect status, and the God that supports that kind of system, he is all yours.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
12-08-2012, 12:44 AM
It's Yahweh or the highway.
[+] 2 users Like callisto's post
13-08-2012, 03:58 AM
(11-08-2012 09:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 02:06 AM)sillinde Wrote:  Okay, as being one who's recently discovered the whole debacle I'm somewhat confused. Probably by things that have been explained before but that still eludes me. Now, first of all, if you say "this is not my view" or anything of the sort I'll accept that, I don't expect you to defend the opinion of others.

I think you need a new definition of "debacle". This is one of the best maintained and most polite threads in the A&T forums.

Quote:The major gripe is when people say the bible is a metaphor or "you're not to take the bible litterally" which seems to only mean certain parts of the bible. Specifically parts the religious person doesn't agree with, such as rape, genocide, incest and so forth. I say only parts because if the entire book is a metaphor then so is God and Jesus, which means they aren't real and there's no point worshipping metaphors. And the litterally part falls apart when the same people take parts of the bible they agree with litterally!

My question to this cherry picking is, how are you supposed to know which parts to follow and which parts to not follow? Because it seems you're just picking the values you agree with and/or agrees with secular values. Is there some "sign" if it's supposed to be a metaphor or not?
And please don't say "you have to believe to understand" because that's avoiding the question. It's a book, pure and simple and for people who read the language the meaning should be clear.

Parts of the Bible that aren't literal is a tricky subject. You have to analyze the context of the words and the history of the subject matter. There is more that goes into it but that's the gist.

Also, it's not just a "book pure and simple". It's a collection of writings over a long period of time with many different authors. The meanings were clear to the original audience, but they become muddied as culture and languages change. This is another reason why Bible history is important in understanding it.

The Bible isn't supposed to be "easy reading" so anyone can understand. The Bible is only meant for the elect - to teach them and guide them - this also includes study.

The debacle wasn't meant to this thread in general but rather the "conflict" as a whole. Fox news isn't exactly a brilliant light of tolerance and understanding and there are alot of atheists who are down right douchebags. I can't name any atheists as bad as I view Fox News but I'm sure they're out there somewhere and I'm sure alot of people identify me in the same group in the same way I identify many fundemantalists, although obviously not all christians.

I'd like to thank you for a mature and reflected answer, I still don't get fully how one identifies what's to be taken literal or not, nor why so many comes to different conclusions. As I have no interest in studying the bible indepth and you say it required I'll simply have to take your word on that, but ultimately I do not have faith that it is the word of a god.

Your conduct is one I wish more religious and none religious would have in the debate.
[+] 2 users Like sillinde's post
14-08-2012, 10:43 PM
[Image: yt8ON.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
19-08-2012, 03:18 AM
Do you think you could deal with the consequences of deconverting? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
20-08-2012, 04:15 PM
(19-08-2012 03:18 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Do you think you could deal with the consequences of deconverting? Consider

I've thought about this. And, yes... yes, I could.

I "deconverted" from right-wing conservatism much to the chagrin of my family... I also told them that I believe in evolution... that almost made a family member cry.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
20-08-2012, 04:22 PM
(11-08-2012 11:40 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Well KC I don't hate you but your religion to me, seems harmful.

One day I hope you come to see that all the things in the world that is tangible is all we have.

The future of mankind is where our focus should be. Ensuring the future for the next generation of human beings, while supporting one another, and helping each person explore the boundaries of their skills.

Life is too short too damned be lost in make believe worlds.

All we have is reality, each other, and our own minds, and it's not evil to embrace the natural world around us.

Just a note. What men and women like you and I have achieved from understanding the natural world has saved more lives, healed more people, and even launched man kind into space. Your God has never sent us one iota of this life saving, expanding, growing, knowledge. Rather his worry is over faith, and behavior. This type of father is insane. Who would look at their own child and think, if you don't believe in me, do what I tell you, I will inflict pain on you passed your death until the end of time?

No human one. But if you really need your imaginary elect status, and the God that supports that kind of system, he is all yours.

Believe me, if I could agree more with you, I would!!

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
20-08-2012, 04:30 PM
(20-08-2012 04:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 03:18 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Do you think you could deal with the consequences of deconverting? Consider

I've thought about this. And, yes... yes, I could.

I "deconverted" from right-wing conservatism much to the chagrin of my family... I also told them that I believe in evolution... that almost made a family member cry.

Ah, this explains much. Right-wing conservatism is pretty delusional .

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post