Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
01-10-2012, 02:34 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(01-10-2012 09:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-09-2012 03:11 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I would go as far to say that the Calvinist is one of the most intellectually dishonest forms of belief to date.

No, no it isn't.

It accepts that idea that if God is all powerful and all knowing then He actively chooses bad things to happen.

Why are you here?

(01-10-2012 09:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(28-09-2012 03:11 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I would go as far to say that the Calvinist is one of the most intellectually dishonest forms of belief to date.

What's dishonest about it? It's an attempt to reconcile all the confusing beliefs in the Bible and is actually probably the most "reasonable" interpretation of the text. It's not dishonest, it's just delusional and antiquated by about 400 years.

Tell me, why do you think KC is here?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2012, 02:35 PM
(18-09-2012 05:15 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You mofos keep using "appeal to authority" then continue to call KC intellectually dishonest? Dodgy

Who did that?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
01-10-2012, 02:39 PM
So, do you believe the Bible preaches Hell as an eternal place of torture or Hell as what death really is with eternal torture only being compared to the state of oblivion that eternal unconsciousness would be?

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
(01-10-2012 02:34 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 09:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No, no it isn't.

It accepts that idea that if God is all powerful and all knowing then He actively chooses bad things to happen.

Why are you here?

(01-10-2012 09:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  What's dishonest about it? It's an attempt to reconcile all the confusing beliefs in the Bible and is actually probably the most "reasonable" interpretation of the text. It's not dishonest, it's just delusional and antiquated by about 400 years.

Define "here".

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
(01-10-2012 02:39 PM)Chase Wrote:  So, do you believe the Bible preaches Hell as an eternal place of torture or Hell as what death really is with eternal torture only being compared to the state of oblivion that eternal unconsciousness would be?

I believe it is an eternal place of torment and the soul will not be annihilated.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Ask a Theist!
(26-09-2012 04:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-09-2012 03:52 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Hello KC,

What is the source of your certainty?

I am not certain because of my limited knowledge and lack of being omniscient.

My beliefs come from my personal faith and my personal experiences.

Have you previously elaborated on this personal experience in this or another thread? If so, can you either link me to it or suggest search terms? Thank you.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
01-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Ask a Theist!
(01-10-2012 03:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 02:39 PM)Chase Wrote:  So, do you believe the Bible preaches Hell as an eternal place of torture or Hell as what death really is with eternal torture only being compared to the state of oblivion that eternal unconsciousness would be?

I believe it is an eternal place of torment and the soul will not be annihilated.

Considering this and other factors, do you trust this god you believe in has only benevolence in store for you? You don't find anything that has so far been revealed to you to be suspicious in any way?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
01-10-2012, 03:40 PM
(01-10-2012 03:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Sounds like a party i should be join in.

I have a question in a semantic matter.
You have written, there is a eternal place of torment, right?
So, the place is eternal, lets say like an eternal dungeon.
And the torment is also eternal, right?
What started first the eternal journey through time and space?
Goes down to the question of the chicken and the egg, i think.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
01-10-2012, 04:02 PM
(01-10-2012 03:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 02:34 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Why are you here?

Define "here".

I think he means on this forum, not that you're a waste of skin. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-10-2012, 04:05 PM
(01-10-2012 03:39 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 03:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I believe it is an eternal place of torment and the soul will not be annihilated.

Considering this and other factors, do you trust this god you believe in has only benevolence in store for you? You don't find anything that has so far been revealed to you to be suspicious in any way?

If you believe the Calvinist horror story, you could only sleep at night by believing you're 'elect'. The alternative is too horrific to contemplate.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post