01-10-2012, 04:29 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Lol Chas.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
(01-10-2012 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 03:39 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Considering this and other factors, do you trust this god you believe in has only benevolence in store for you? You don't find anything that has so far been revealed to you to be suspicious in any way?

If you believe the Calvinist horror story, you could only sleep at night by believing you're 'elect'. The alternative is too horrific to contemplate.

Ah, many thanks, Chas. Forgive my ignorance of Calvinism, but is it believed (by Calvinists) that the elect know that they are elect?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
01-10-2012, 05:01 PM
(01-10-2012 04:31 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  If you believe the Calvinist horror story, you could only sleep at night by believing you're 'elect'. The alternative is too horrific to contemplate.

Ah, many thanks, Chas. Forgive my ignorance of Calvinism, but is it believed (by Calvinists) that the elect know that they are elect?

I don't know. I quit listening to KC's delusional ravings months ago.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-10-2012, 09:15 AM
(01-10-2012 05:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 04:31 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Ah, many thanks, Chas. Forgive my ignorance of Calvinism, but is it believed (by Calvinists) that the elect know that they are elect?

I don't know. I quit listening to KC's delusional ravings months ago.

I might not be far behind. I think we've lost him. Snake! Snake! Damn it!

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
03-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Do you watch thethinkingatheist youtube videos and if you do do you find the satire funny or offensive and do you find the atheist faith stories, this site or not if you ever watch them, disturbing, cute, sad, funny, or what?

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
03-10-2012, 11:34 PM
I found an interesting article about delusions today. It has some flaws in it, but overall it's pretty good.

Any thoughts on this, KC?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
05-10-2012, 12:54 PM
(01-10-2012 03:37 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(26-09-2012 04:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I am not certain because of my limited knowledge and lack of being omniscient.

My beliefs come from my personal faith and my personal experiences.

Have you previously elaborated on this personal experience in this or another thread? If so, can you either link me to it or suggest search terms? Thank you.

Yes.

What I said in this thread.

Evidence for me being elect:

Growing up, I was always embarrassed of Christianity and whenever my parents talked about Jesus. I thought church was silly, and I found the stories nothing more than fantasy.

I finally accepted agnosticism in college as my official belief, and I began to rip Christianity apart with the use of logic and rationality. I would combat Christians on the Internet via forums and use the aforementioned tactics against them to make them look like fools. I was good at it.

Driving home from work one day, my life changed. My heart was opened to a higher power; even though I didn't know whom. I'll try my best to explain this: I found myself suddenly and sincerely praying and listening to this higher power for guidance. This was wholly strange to me because up until that moment I didn't believe in a God that I could talk to.

My beliefs so drastically changed than I began to get angry with myself. I didn't understand how I could rationally accept that there was a higher power that I could converse with. It wasn't logical. Also, I never wanted to talk to a higher power, and I didn't understand how I was doing it if I didn't choose to. My knowledge of religion pre-empted the idea that I had to choose it.

The higher power led me to read and study the Bible. This was the first time that I’ve ever actually done it. It was at this time that I realized that the higher power I was talking to was the Christian God; however, I still didn’t understand why I didn’t get a choice. As my studying intensified, I began to learn about election. And then, it made sense. I realized that then reason I didn’t have a choice is because I was never planned to have a choice.

I knew that I was elect because I learned that those who are elect can hear the will of God and those that aren’t cannot even understand it.

So, that’s my evidence. I guess the most concrete part of it is the fact that my beliefs radically changed and became cemented by no choice of my own.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-10-2012, 12:56 PM
(01-10-2012 03:39 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 03:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I believe it is an eternal place of torment and the soul will not be annihilated.

Considering this and other factors, do you trust this god you believe in has only benevolence in store for you? You don't find anything that has so far been revealed to you to be suspicious in any way?

No.

Even the elect aren't bestowed with constant benevolence.

05-10-2012, 12:57 PM
(01-10-2012 03:40 PM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 03:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I believe it is an eternal place of torment and the soul will not be annihilated.

Sounds like a party i should be join in.

I have a question in a semantic matter.
You have written, there is a eternal place of torment, right?
So, the place is eternal, lets say like an eternal dungeon.
And the torment is also eternal, right?
What started first the eternal journey through time and space?
Goes down to the question of the chicken and the egg, i think.

I guess eternal is a misnomer. "Timeless" would be a more proper word. It has a starting point - judgment.

05-10-2012, 12:58 PM
(03-10-2012 04:18 PM)Chase Wrote:  Do you watch thethinkingatheist youtube videos and if you do do you find the satire funny or offensive and do you find the atheist faith stories, this site or not if you ever watch them, disturbing, cute, sad, funny, or what?

I do. I watch them a lot. I find them very informative and interesting.

I also have a pretty good sense of humor so nothing really offends me.