Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
09-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Ask a Theist!
(09-10-2012 09:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 07:23 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I disagree, from my limited experiences with you, you base your life(belief wise) on something irrational.

Hypothetically:

I had a personal experience with Susanne the Reality Shifting Caps Lock Button, telling me to use CAPS LOCK on all of my future posts.

Should I base my posts on this? Maybe even worship the button, honour it in some way?

Or am I simply being irrational by accepting the experience actually happened?

But, Susanna didn't immediately change the way you thought, believed, and how you lived your life. That happened with me.

And if that experience is never ever replicated again, you're okay basing the rest of your life on one emotional experience that probably can be explained neurologically rather than religiously?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
09-10-2012, 09:37 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(06-10-2012 12:20 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Modern humans are roughly 200,000 years old. If the Christian God just showed up 2 to 3 thousand years ago what the hell was going on between then?

Homo sapiens did not have the imprint of God, so they lived and died like any other animal.

Quote:God just let everyone go to heaven?

No. No one did because God's image wasn't on people yet.

Quote:Why would he be silent for so long?

Don't know.

Quote:Were sins non-existent?

Yep. Morality was still there but sinning wasn't because there wasn't an image of God to sin against.

Quote:If there were sins, how would humans have known?

See above.

Quote:Of course there are probably hundreds of other questions that I think are completely illogical by Christians reckoning, but this topic just happened to be the one that popped into my head tonight. I am not trying to offend you, or convert you. You can worship a ham sandwich for all I care, just curious on this topic.

It's all good. Thank you for your questions.

Quote:Follow up questions, why would a Christian choose to be so active on a forum dedicated to Atheism without actively trying to convert us? Do we just make better company than your Christian compatriots? I'm not complaining, I enjoy hearing you posts, and think you are a fine fellow, again, just curious.

I just enjoy this place. And yes, for the most part, you are more accepting of me than other Christians. Most Christians shun my progressive form of Christianity (something I've shared before).

Also, God hasn't called me to convert anyone. God converts. I just tell people what I believe.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
(06-10-2012 05:30 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Yes, I am curious as to why you are here on the forum as well. To me, there seems to be no reason other than intellectual dishonesty.

See aforementioned.

09-10-2012, 09:42 AM
(06-10-2012 04:20 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Why don't you see anything wrong with your theology?... It seems to painfully obvious that your ideas seek to devalue everything that is considered "Human"

The love, and the human "spirit" to persevere.

Be honest bro, because this is why I really think your theology is crazy.

I understand why you think that. But, if God is perfect (something I accept), then I can do no greater for myself than He can; moreover, if He is omnipotent (something I accept), then He controls all my actions - making everything I do in accordance to a perfect predestined plan.

Quote:Why are you perfectly alright in thinking that you couldn't love your wife without God? Or that your kids couldn't be here without God's permission. Or that your parents love is really the love God ALLOWED them to have?

Just tell me how you could be fine with thinking that humans are but mere shells for God to inject his own will into?

See above

Quote:Are we nothing but objects? Or are we simply parts of God, since God controls, or preplans everything, does that mean we are simply extension of what God is. If so, why can we lie, yet it says God is not the Author of confusion, or God can't deny himself, then why are there atheists?

Sin is necessary for Christ. Without sin, there would be no need for Christ. With sin, there has to be collateral - which means all forms of evil, as well as the neutrality of disbelief.

Quote:Do you think that human independance from the tyrant you call God is even possible?

Absolutely not.

09-10-2012, 09:53 AM
(08-10-2012 01:47 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 09:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why his metaphysics make anything more than a shit-stain on your underwear difference to you? They don't bother me in the least. He can believe whatever the fuck he wants, don't make no nevermind to me. And while believing in some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity might have some affect on my opinion that you might be a bit weak in the head, that don't mean I can't like you. Hell, if I felt like that I'd have to blacklist me mum.

It doesn't bother you that he believes that everyone that isn't just like him, is going to hell? Part of a sick game, and because he is a pussy and fears death, he, in his mind, condemns everyone to an eternal torture for his own "Christian" self-esteem. I can't like an egocentric, sadistic, deluded person.

I will tolerate him, accept him, but I cannot like him.

Those are some pretty harsh words and wrong assumptions.

I do not fear death. Death without the belief of God is simply non-existence. The brain will be deactivated; therefore, I will no knowledge of anything nor will I even care because I won't exist.

Death with the belief of God gives me a timeless paradise with no prior knowledge of my life on Earth.

Either way, I have no reason to fear death.

The concept of Hell has nothing to do with my self esteem. I hate the idea of Hell. However, if I accept my theology, I have to accept the idea of Hell.

09-10-2012, 09:56 AM
(08-10-2012 04:33 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Hay KC, if your children weren't elect, could you look them in the eyes and tell them that they are condemned to eternal torture?

No, probably not.

However, they will know my stance on it.

09-10-2012, 10:01 AM
(08-10-2012 06:14 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 12:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes.

What I said in this thread.

Evidence for me being elect:

Growing up, I was always embarrassed of Christianity and whenever my parents talked about Jesus. I thought church was silly, and I found the stories nothing more than fantasy.

I finally accepted agnosticism in college as my official belief, and I began to rip Christianity apart with the use of logic and rationality. I would combat Christians on the Internet via forums and use the aforementioned tactics against them to make them look like fools. I was good at it.

Driving home from work one day, my life changed. My heart was opened to a higher power; even though I didn't know whom. I'll try my best to explain this: I found myself suddenly and sincerely praying and listening to this higher power for guidance. This was wholly strange to me because up until that moment I didn't believe in a God that I could talk to.

My beliefs so drastically changed than I began to get angry with myself. I didn't understand how I could rationally accept that there was a higher power that I could converse with. It wasn't logical. Also, I never wanted to talk to a higher power, and I didn't understand how I was doing it if I didn't choose to. My knowledge of religion pre-empted the idea that I had to choose it.

The higher power led me to read and study the Bible. This was the first time that I’ve ever actually done it. It was at this time that I realized that the higher power I was talking to was the Christian God; however, I still didn’t understand why I didn’t get a choice. As my studying intensified, I began to learn about election. And then, it made sense. I realized that then reason I didn’t have a choice is because I was never planned to have a choice.

I knew that I was elect because I learned that those who are elect can hear the will of God and those that aren’t cannot even understand it.

So, that’s my evidence. I guess the most concrete part of it is the fact that my beliefs radically changed and became cemented by no choice of my own.

Pity, I thought there was more to it than what I'd already read. I'm afraid that to me you seem seriously deluded.

While your offering of "evidence" may satisfy you, it explains nothing to me.

Can you at least see why the most logical conclusion anyone on the outside could make would be that you are delusional?

I have said over and over and over and over again that my personal anecdotal evidence doesn't apply to anyone else by myself.

09-10-2012, 10:07 AM
(09-10-2012 09:34 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 09:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  But, Susanna didn't immediately change the way you thought, believed, and how you lived your life. That happened with me.

And if that experience is never ever replicated again, you're okay basing the rest of your life on one emotional experience that probably can be explained neurologically rather than religiously?

If something like that happened again, then yes, yes, if would cause me to reevaluate my situation and beliefs.

09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
(08-10-2012 06:14 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Can you at least see why the most logical conclusion anyone on the outside could make would be that you are delusional?
1) You seem to have evaded this question.

(09-10-2012 10:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I have said over and over and over and over again that my personal anecdotal evidence doesn't apply to anyone else by myself.
2) What does this even mean?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
09-10-2012, 11:26 AM
(09-10-2012 10:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 09:34 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  And if that experience is never ever replicated again, you're okay basing the rest of your life on one emotional experience that probably can be explained neurologically rather than religiously?

If something like that happened again, then yes, yes, if would cause me to reevaluate my situation and beliefs.

Fine, but your evaluation was and is fundamentally flawed. You haven't properly applied evaluation of evidence and critical thinking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post