Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
09-10-2012, 12:21 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(09-10-2012 11:21 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  1) You seem to have evaded this question.

Yes. Sorry, missed the question.

But yeah, I can see it.

Quote:2) What does this even mean?

It means that I'm well aware that my personal experience doesn't convince anyone of anything and doesn't hold any water in terms of evidence to anyone but myself.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Dear KC, i was just wondering, you always wrote about an personal experience that leads you to god.
In one of your posts you said, god influences the way you make your decisions.
Can you give us an example, and what's different in a decision you make, befor you had have the experience?
I hope you did not answer this befor, but to be honest, this thread is far too long to read it from top to bottom.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
(09-10-2012 12:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 11:21 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  1) You seem to have evaded this question.

Yes. Sorry, missed the question.

But yeah, I can see it.
Thank you.

(09-10-2012 12:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 11:21 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  2) What does this even mean?

It means that I'm well aware that my personal experience doesn't convince anyone of anything and doesn't hold any water in terms of evidence to anyone but myself.

How do you manage to allow yourself to be convinced while everyone around you is not?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
09-10-2012, 01:01 PM
(09-10-2012 12:46 PM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  Dear KC, i was just wondering, you always wrote about an personal experience that leads you to god.
In one of your posts you said, god influences the way you make your decisions.
Can you give us an example, and what's different in a decision you make, befor you had have the experience?
I hope you did not answer this befor, but to be honest, this thread is far too long to read it from top to bottom.

Yes.

Without going in to too much detail (this is a public forum and people I know IRL read from time to time) there are things in my past that I wish I could erase.

The big one being a drug addict.

My conversion stopped my addiction.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
09-10-2012, 01:02 PM
(09-10-2012 12:55 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  How do you manage to allow yourself to be convinced while everyone around you is not?

Because my personal experience had a very profound effect on my life. Something that I cannot attribute to anything that I could have done.

09-10-2012, 01:18 PM
(09-10-2012 01:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes.

Without going in to too much detail (this is a public forum and people I know IRL read from time to time) there are things in my past that I wish I could erase.

The big one being a drug addict.

My conversion stopped my addiction.

Thank you.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
09-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Ask a Theist!
(09-10-2012 10:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 09:34 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  And if that experience is never ever replicated again, you're okay basing the rest of your life on one emotional experience that probably can be explained neurologically rather than religiously?

If something like that happened again, then yes, yes, if would cause me to reevaluate my situation and beliefs.

Actually, my curiosity pertains to the opposite situation. The fact that it only happened once in the distant past makes it more suspect than if it happened again. You're basing a lifetime of belief upon one subjective event that outside observers would see as a natural process but you're choosing to describe it supernaturally.

Throughout my lifetime, I did have experiences that could "only" be orchestrated by God. That is, until I got away from my confirmation bias and realized everything I chose to call a miracle could be explained simply with natural means.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
09-10-2012, 02:22 PM
(09-10-2012 09:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 06:48 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  "Here" has been defined. Now please answer my question.

I have answered this many times.

I came here (TTA) because germanyt showed it to me, and it was one of the few places at work that wasn't blocked. We started posting just to pass the down time. As time went on, I enjoyed the community, so I decided to become an active part of it.

Sure, there is the theological stuff that is discussed, but that isn't the reason for me being on TTA. I actually enjoy this place. That's why I'm here.

So what, exactly, do you find enjoyable? Consider

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Those are some pretty harsh words

Yes.

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  and wrong assumptions.

No.

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I do not fear death. Death without the belief of God is simply non-existence. The brain will be deactivated; therefore, I will no knowledge of anything nor will I even care because I won't exist.

Yes you do.

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Death with the belief of God gives me a timeless paradise with no prior knowledge of my life on Earth.

No evidence? It doesn't happen.

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Either way, I have no reason to fear death.

But yet, you do.

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The concept of Hell has nothing to do with my self esteem. I hate the idea of Hell. However, if I accept my theology, I have to accept the idea of Hell.

And the belief that people will go to hell for nothing that they have done. Again, sadistic and sickening.

(09-10-2012 09:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No, probably not.

However, they will know my stance on it.

"Not directly, but I will let them know with Christianese."

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Ask a Theist!
(09-10-2012 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because my personal experience had a very profound effect on my life. Something that I cannot attribute to anything that I could have done.

That just sounds like a simple argument from ignorance.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
09-10-2012, 04:07 PM
(09-10-2012 09:37 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, God hasn't called me to convert anyone. God converts. I just tell people what I believe.

I have said it before, but I have to say it again:

Why does god need to convert people, that is an active action, if god set everything out before, why would It possibly need to act. A god who knew exactly how everything would happen should never need to do anything actively.

Did It not account for this non-believer, or did It change It's mind?

Maybe It's not got everything set out and is just wing'in it instead?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.