Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
09-10-2012, 04:10 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(09-10-2012 02:22 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 09:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I have answered this many times.

I came here (TTA) because germanyt showed it to me, and it was one of the few places at work that wasn't blocked. We started posting just to pass the down time. As time went on, I enjoyed the community, so I decided to become an active part of it.

Sure, there is the theological stuff that is discussed, but that isn't the reason for me being on TTA. I actually enjoy this place. That's why I'm here.

So what, exactly, do you find enjoyable? Consider

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Those are some pretty harsh words

Yes.

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  and wrong assumptions.

No.

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I do not fear death. Death without the belief of God is simply non-existence. The brain will be deactivated; therefore, I will no knowledge of anything nor will I even care because I won't exist.

Yes you do.

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Death with the belief of God gives me a timeless paradise with no prior knowledge of my life on Earth.

No evidence? It doesn't happen.

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Either way, I have no reason to fear death.

But yet, you do.

(09-10-2012 09:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The concept of Hell has nothing to do with my self esteem. I hate the idea of Hell. However, if I accept my theology, I have to accept the idea of Hell.

And the belief that people will go to hell for nothing that they have done. Again, sadistic and sickening.

(09-10-2012 09:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No, probably not.

However, they will know my stance on it.

"Not directly, but I will let them know with Christianese."

Not doing a back and forth...

I don't fear death. I have no logical reason to fear death. I have no rational reason to fear death. Death does not bother me.

As for TTA, I enjoy most things here (the discussions) and the people.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2012, 04:12 PM
(09-10-2012 03:57 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because my personal experience had a very profound effect on my life. Something that I cannot attribute to anything that I could have done.

That just sounds like a simple argument from ignorance.

No.

I was not capable of believing in God.

He changed that. There is no ignorance here.

It would be the same as you saying that you cannot believe in God... you personally from the existing evidence... some outside force would have to make you believe in God.

09-10-2012, 04:15 PM
(09-10-2012 04:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 09:37 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, God hasn't called me to convert anyone. God converts. I just tell people what I believe.

I have said it before, but I have to say it again:

Why does god need to convert people, that is an active action, if god set everything out before, why would It possibly need to act. A god who knew exactly how everything would happen should never need to do anything actively.

Did It not account for this non-believer, or did It change It's mind?

Maybe It's not got everything set out and is just wing'in it instead?

No. The conversions (regenerations) are planned from the beginning of time. It's God's doing when someone converts... don't really see what the confusion is.

God plans regenerations to happen at specific times in peoples' lives.

09-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Also

(09-10-2012 09:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 07:23 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I disagree, from my limited experiences with you, you base your life(belief wise) on something irrational.

Hypothetically:

I had a personal experience with Susanne the Reality Shifting Caps Lock Button, telling me to use CAPS LOCK on all of my future posts.

Should I base my posts on this? Maybe even worship the button, honour it in some way?

Or am I simply being irrational by accepting the experience actually happened?

But, Susanna didn't immediately change the way you thought, believed, and how you lived your life. That happened with me.

So, if I had this hypothetical meeting with Susanne the Reality Shifting Caps Lock Button

AND SUBSEQUENTLY WAS COMPELLED TO FOLLOWED IT'S COMMANDS AND CAPS LOCK MY POSTS.
I am totally justified in annoying everybody else (directed at caps-lock warriors), for the sake of Susanne's command.

Or would I be simply being irrational by believing it actually happened in the first place?

Keep in mind that peoples delusions and hallucinations influence them all the time, that does not mean it is true.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-10-2012, 04:21 PM
(09-10-2012 04:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 03:57 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  That just sounds like a simple argument from ignorance.

No.

It would be the same as you saying that you cannot believe in God... you personally from the existing evidence... some outside force would have to make you believe in God.

Honestly, I am enjoying this deconstruction with you. This is turning out to be a good way to get to know you better.

So, let us descend even further...

How do you *know* you were incapable. Because to me, it sounds like this turned out not to be true.

I can believe you may have been disinclined to belief. I can even believe you were averse or even repulsed by the thought of belief. But the evidence points to an obvious capacity for belief despite inclinations.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
09-10-2012, 04:21 PM
(09-10-2012 01:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 12:46 PM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  Dear KC, i was just wondering, you always wrote about an personal experience that leads you to god.
In one of your posts you said, god influences the way you make your decisions.
Can you give us an example, and what's different in a decision you make, befor you had have the experience?
I hope you did not answer this befor, but to be honest, this thread is far too long to read it from top to bottom.

Yes.

Without going in to too much detail (this is a public forum and people I know IRL read from time to time) there are things in my past that I wish I could erase.

The big one being a drug addict.

My conversion stopped my addiction.

But conversion wasn't necessary to stop your addiction. I am an atheist who kicked addiction.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 04:25 PM
(09-10-2012 04:17 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Also

(09-10-2012 09:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  But, Susanna didn't immediately change the way you thought, believed, and how you lived your life. That happened with me.

So, if I had this hypothetical meeting with Susanne the Reality Shifting Caps Lock Button

AND SUBSEQUENTLY WAS COMPELLED TO FOLLOWED IT'S COMMANDS AND CAPS LOCK MY POSTS.
I am totally justified in annoying everybody else (directed at caps-lock warriors), for the sake of Susanne's command.

Or would I be simply being irrational by believing it actually happened in the first place?

Keep in mind that peoples delusions and hallucinations influence them all the time, that does not mean it is true.

Yes. You absolutely have the right to post in all caps if you want. If you're not breaking any rules or laws then you have the right to do whatever you want to do; regardless if anyone finds it annoying. However, other people have the right to shun and berate you for your actions. You also have to face the consequences of your actions and beliefs in regards to how others respond.

09-10-2012, 04:29 PM
(09-10-2012 04:21 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 04:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No.

Honestly, I am enjoying this deconstruction with you. This is turning out to be a good way to get to know you better.

So, let us descend even further...

How do you *know* you were incapable. Because to me, it sounds like this turned out not to be true.

I can believe you may have been disinclined to belief. I can even believe you were averse or even repulsed by the thought of belief. But the evidence points to an obvious capacity for belief despite inclinations.

That's a fair assessment, and it may even be a correct one.

Keeping with that; I had zero ambition to have any dealings with God or Christianity. Yes, the religion repulsed me. I had stopped believing after facing the evidence and had effectively left it behind me.

Then all that changed, and I didn't know why at first.

09-10-2012, 04:31 PM
(09-10-2012 04:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 01:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes.

Without going in to too much detail (this is a public forum and people I know IRL read from time to time) there are things in my past that I wish I could erase.

The big one being a drug addict.

My conversion stopped my addiction.

But conversion wasn't necessary to stop your addiction. I am an atheist who kicked addiction.

Not everyone is the same, though.

It was for me. I had no desire to stop. I never wanted to stop. I did not have the ability to stop.

09-10-2012, 04:45 PM
(09-10-2012 04:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 04:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  But conversion wasn't necessary to stop your addiction. I am an atheist who kicked addiction.

Not everyone is the same, though.

It was for me. I had no desire to stop. I never wanted to stop. I did not have the ability to stop.

So you are only saying that your addiction stopped after your conversion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user