Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
09-10-2012, 04:46 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(09-10-2012 04:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 04:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not everyone is the same, though.

It was for me. I had no desire to stop. I never wanted to stop. I did not have the ability to stop.

So you are only saying that your addiction stopped after your conversion.

Yep.

Cold turkey.

Even during the withdrawals I didn't want to go back.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2012, 05:26 PM
(09-10-2012 04:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I did not have the ability to stop.

If I may, again, evidence points to a capacity despite your initial self-perception. You cannot know you would have ultimately failed, no matter your past attempts, to succeed in kicking the habit without religion.

Also, have you ever considered the possibility that you subconsciously invented your life-altering moment in order to escape your addiction? A sort of auto-invented corrective measure? I'm now into the realm of psychology which isn't my field even by a long-shot (Software QA here) so I'm not sure about any precedent or recorded cases of such. But, did you consider it?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
09-10-2012, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 07:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-10-2012 04:46 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 04:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  So you are only saying that your addiction stopped after your conversion.

Yep.

Cold turkey.

Even during the withdrawals I didn't want to go back.

Overcoming an addiction by manufacturing a delusion of a Power greater than yourself. Not unheard of. Sounds like the strategy proposed by Dr. Bob in the Big Book. Think I can even appreciate how you'd be reluctant to give it up even if you yourself recognized it as delusional. It's your coping mechanism. Not much different than HoC's Gwynnies, just far less original and interesting. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-10-2012, 12:52 PM
(09-10-2012 04:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't fear death. I have no logical reason to fear death. I have no rational reason to fear death. Death does not bother me.

It is funny how people's mentality changes when they are actually confronted with death. But, again, I never said one needs a reason.

(09-10-2012 04:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  As for TTA, I enjoy most things here (the discussions) and the people.

What about them do you enjoy?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
10-10-2012, 01:15 PM
(09-10-2012 09:37 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 12:20 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Modern humans are roughly 200,000 years old. If the Christian God just showed up 2 to 3 thousand years ago what the hell was going on between then?

Homo sapiens did not have the imprint of God, so they lived and died like any other animal.

Quote:God just let everyone go to heaven?

No. No one did because God's image wasn't on people yet.

Quote:Why would he be silent for so long?

Don't know.

Quote:Were sins non-existent?

Yep. Morality was still there but sinning wasn't because there wasn't an image of God to sin against.

Quote:If there were sins, how would humans have known?

See above.

Quote:Of course there are probably hundreds of other questions that I think are completely illogical by Christians reckoning, but this topic just happened to be the one that popped into my head tonight. I am not trying to offend you, or convert you. You can worship a ham sandwich for all I care, just curious on this topic.

It's all good. Thank you for your questions.

Quote:Follow up questions, why would a Christian choose to be so active on a forum dedicated to Atheism without actively trying to convert us? Do we just make better company than your Christian compatriots? I'm not complaining, I enjoy hearing you posts, and think you are a fine fellow, again, just curious.

I just enjoy this place. And yes, for the most part, you are more accepting of me than other Christians. Most Christians shun my progressive form of Christianity (something I've shared before).

Also, God hasn't called me to convert anyone. God converts. I just tell people what I believe.

So you think that God created the universe some 14 billion years ago, got bored and created life a few billion years ago, got bored with that and tweaked humans a few thousand years ago to make them special? If I haven't understood your beliefs then please elaborate...

Hope God doesn't give you a ring and tell you to start trying to convert us anytime soon. If he does, let it go to voicemail and pretend that you never got the message. Also, lay off the hallucinogens for a while.

11-10-2012, 09:20 AM
(10-10-2012 12:52 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  It is funny how people's mentality changes when they are actually confronted with death. But, again, I never said one needs a reason.

Been there, done that. Mentality didn't change. I realized I wanted to live not because I was scared of death but because I liked life.

Quote:What about them do you enjoy?

Just the discussions. They're usually enlightening and make me thing about things I've never considered before.

11-10-2012, 09:21 AM
(10-10-2012 01:15 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  So you think that God created the universe some 14 billion years ago, got bored and created life a few billion years ago, got bored with that and tweaked humans a few thousand years ago to make them special? If I haven't understood your beliefs then please elaborate...

With more theology, but yes.

Quote:Hope God doesn't give you a ring and tell you to start trying to convert us anytime soon. If he does, let it go to voicemail and pretend that you never got the message. Also, lay off the hallucinogens for a while.

Nah. God hasn't called me to be proselytizer.

11-10-2012, 10:22 AM
(11-10-2012 09:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Been there, done that. Mentality didn't change. I realized I wanted to live not because I was scared of death but because I liked life.

I doubt that, my friend.

(11-10-2012 09:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Just the discussions. They're usually enlightening and make me thing about things I've never considered before.

Mhmm. Consider So what do you do when you consider these things?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
11-10-2012, 10:42 AM
I weigh in terms of logic, rationale, and theology.

11-10-2012, 10:48 AM
KC, how do you handle the pigeon hole of the limited number of Elect, and how many Calvanists there actually are in the world, let alone how many who are already dead?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]