Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
11-10-2012, 01:37 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(11-10-2012 01:34 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 01:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  no

Chuck testa?

In all seriousness, religion is not logical or rational. Your convictions are based on anecdotal evidence, and even if it was personal, it does not measure up to the logical, skeptical, rational methods of fact checking. You make a specific conviction about the natural and supernatural, bearing no evidence. This is not logical and is anything but.

We're back to the Everlast song.

I thought we already talked about this.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 01:39 PM
(11-10-2012 01:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 01:29 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  Religions are not based on facts or logic, you surely are having a hard time trying to mix religion and logic

Not so much.

In the simplest form, I'm not gnostic aka not omniscient; therefore, logically speaking, I don't know if something exists or doesn't exist.

The difference lies in which road to explanations I am led to believe.

If you claim a specific sect of theism, you are renouncing any credibility of agnosticism because said religious conviction makes very specific claims. If you want to remain in a semi-logical position, you should change your label to something along the lines of "deism", though that is probably to broad of a belief for you. Generally, you cannot be logical and say God exists. Instead, to remain logical, the reasonable stance would be, "I do not believe in a God, and will not until evidence is provided and concluded for one."

Yes, the everlasting song of you attempting to redefine logic.

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
11-10-2012, 01:43 PM
(11-10-2012 01:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 01:29 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  Religions are not based on facts or logic, you surely are having a hard time trying to mix religion and logic

Not so much.

In the simplest form, I'm not gnostic aka not omniscient; therefore, logically speaking, I don't know if something exists or doesn't exist.

So if i decide to believe that Batman is real, you would not think im crazy?

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
11-10-2012, 01:46 PM
(11-10-2012 01:39 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 01:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not so much.

If you claim a specific sect of theism, you are renouncing any credibility of agnosticism because said religious conviction makes very specific claims. If you want to remain in a semi-logical position, you should change your label to something along the lines of "deism", though that is probably to broad of a belief for you. Generally, you cannot be logical and say God exists. Instead, to remain logical, the reasonable stance would be, "I do not believe in a God, and will not until evidence is provided and concluded for one."

Yes, the everlasting song of you attempting to redefine logic.

And again... back to my anecdotal evidence.

My experiences affect my interpretations and influence my beliefs. This is sound, rational logic.

Irrational logic would be if I suddenly started believing in God and kept flapping my arms because I thought I could fly.

11-10-2012, 01:48 PM
(11-10-2012 01:46 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Irrational logic would be if I suddenly started believing in God and kept flapping my arms because I thought I could fly.

Or suddenly starting to believe in God, indoctrinating your children, and persisting in a life-style with no evidence. You say tomato, I say tomatoe. No logic involved, at all, with your theological convictions.

11-10-2012, 01:52 PM
(11-10-2012 01:43 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 01:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not so much.

So if i decide to believe that Batman is real, you would not think im crazy?

Yes, of course, I would.

However, if you were rational and logical and lucid in other things I wouldn't believe you were irrational or illogical. You would be delusional. You believe it.

That doesn't affect your logic and rationale because you are being logical with your beliefs.

I'm fully aware that people here think I'm delusional. By your definitions, I am. I believe something that I have no empirical proof and base solely on faith. That is, denotatively, a delusion.

This isn't irrational or illogical, though. To be this, you would have to act outside of your logic and rationale aka acting out of the parameters of what you believe.

11-10-2012, 01:59 PM
(11-10-2012 01:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 01:43 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  So if i decide to believe that Batman is real, you would not think im crazy?

Yes, of course, I would.

However, if you were rational and logical and lucid in other things I wouldn't believe you were irrational or illogical. You would be delusional. You believe it.

That doesn't affect your logic and rationale because you are being logical with your beliefs.

I'm fully aware that people here think I'm delusional. By your definitions, I am. I believe something that I have no empirical proof and base solely on faith. That is, denotatively, a delusion.

This isn't irrational or illogical, though. To be this, you would have to act outside of your logic and rationale aka acting out of the parameters of what you believe.

Then, in that case we would be both delusional, each one claiming not being delusional and that the other is the delusional one.

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
11-10-2012, 02:01 PM
(11-10-2012 01:59 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 01:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes, of course, I would.

Then, in that case we would be both delusional, each one claiming not being delusional and that the other is the delusional one.

And since no one is omniscient, this could very well be the case.

11-10-2012, 02:16 PM
(11-10-2012 02:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 01:59 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  Then, in that case we would be both delusional, each one claiming not being delusional and that the other is the delusional one.

And since no one is omniscient, this could very well be the case.

Based on the non-evidence for God, it is illogical by definition of the word, to be a theist. But I am not here to get into a debate concerning semantics. You are clearly not skeptical enough of your own beliefs.

[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
11-10-2012, 02:18 PM
(11-10-2012 02:16 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 02:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  And since no one is omniscient, this could very well be the case.

Based on the non-evidence for God, it is illogical by definition of the word, to be a theist.

Unless a person has anecdotal evidence... then it's not illogical.