Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
11-10-2012, 02:29 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
My question for kingschosen:

I'm new around here so I don't know if you answered this one or not:

I was a Christian in the past and am familiar with the concept that God is personal and each has his own relationship with God. What do you think of the view that I have that this is evidence that God is merely nothing more than the extension of the human ego and each believer molds God into his/her beliefs instead of the other way around?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 02:37 PM
(11-10-2012 02:29 PM)kpax Wrote:  My question for kingschosen:

I'm new around here so I don't know if you answered this one or not:

I was a Christian in the past and am familiar with the concept that God is personal and each has his own relationship with God. What do you think of the view that I have that this is evidence that God is merely nothing more than the extension of the human ego and each believer molds God into his/her beliefs instead of the other way around?

It's interesting.

I mean, I understand why you came to this conclusion. I obviously don't agree, but I see it as logical.

I have no experience with psychology, so I can't comment on the validity of it - philosophically speaking.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-10-2012, 02:51 PM
(11-10-2012 02:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 02:16 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Based on the non-evidence for God, it is illogical by definition of the word, to be a theist.

Unless a person has anecdotal evidence... then it's not illogical.

Anecdotal evidence is unreliable, easily falsifiable, and corruptible. Your personal experience has no more merit than anyone else's.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
11-10-2012, 02:58 PM
(11-10-2012 02:51 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 02:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Unless a person has anecdotal evidence... then it's not illogical.

Anecdotal evidence is unreliable, easily falsifiable, and corruptible. Your personal experience has no more merit than anyone else's.

I'm inclined to agree. What disappoints me is that your belief seems to be based upon your own personal feelings, an experience which remains dubious to me after multiple descriptions.

The most you can claim is that you felt that way, not that it's true.

Funny thing about the deluded, they're always the last to know.

Another thing that disappoints me here is your confidence (I called it certainty before, but you refuted it) in your belief. You've got many people suggesting to you that you are deluded, yet you seem to think they are all deluded. Which makes me wonder, how many people have told you they do not believe you are deluded?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
11-10-2012, 03:00 PM
(11-10-2012 01:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 11:10 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Three questions by my counting.

[Image: upside_down_dog.jpg]

I think the whole world looks better upside down....sometimes.

[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
11-10-2012, 03:02 PM
(11-10-2012 02:51 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 02:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Unless a person has anecdotal evidence... then it's not illogical.

But is trumped by it being personal. Anecdotal evidence is 100% correct to the person experiencing it.

11-10-2012, 03:09 PM
(11-10-2012 02:58 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 02:51 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Anecdotal evidence is unreliable, easily falsifiable, and corruptible. Your personal experience has no more merit than anyone else's.

I'm inclined to agree. What disappoints me is that your belief seems to be based upon your own personal feelings, an experience which remains dubious to me after multiple descriptions.

The most you can claim is that you felt that way, not that it's true.

Funny thing about the deluded, they're always the last to know.

Another thing that disappoints me here is your confidence (I called it certainty before, but you refuted it) in your belief. You've got many people suggesting to you that you are deluded, yet you seem to think they are all deluded. Which makes me wonder, how many people have told you they do not believe you are deluded?

No, I don't think anyone else is deluded.

I know there is no way that others can have my faith.

11-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Ask a Theist!
(11-10-2012 03:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 02:51 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Anecdotal evidence is unreliable, easily falsifiable, and corruptible. Your personal experience has no more merit than anyone else's.

But is trumped by it being personal. Anecdotal evidence is 100% correct to the person experiencing it.

Change "is" to "seems" and I would agree. Sorry, personal experience or "feelings" are not reliable ways to gain accurate data about the universe. Humans are too fallible to rely on such methods.

Further, it sounds as though you decided your own interpretations of your own feelings were accurate without consulting any exterior feedback.

You're welcome to claim something "feels true" to you. But to other folks who do not allow themselves to put so much trust in their own personal perceptions your claim will be meaningless.

11-10-2012, 03:14 PM
(11-10-2012 03:00 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 01:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  [Image: upside_down_dog.jpg]

I think the whole world looks better upside down....sometimes.

You will see many more inverted canines from me as time wears on.

11-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Ask a Theist!
(11-10-2012 03:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 03:00 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I think the whole world looks better upside down....sometimes.

You will see many more inverted canines from me as time wears on.

Ah, the elusive Canis invertatis. That's quite the collection you have there.