Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
23-10-2012, 04:11 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(22-10-2012 11:27 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ... a Damascus Road Experience to believe.

Has this been chronicled somewhere on TTA?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Do you believe you have ever talked to/heard/seen god?

I ask this because many of the pastors at the church I used to go to claimed to have had conversations or heard directly from god. One even claimed that god came to him in his sleep to help him quit his drug abuse.
23-10-2012, 10:09 PM
(22-10-2012 08:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  179 pages and the man is still a theist? Jesus. We need to bring out the big guns.

Thumbsup I agree!

Although I would point out that we could sentence him to 50 years of Hitchens and he would probably STILL come here to gain his brownie love from the unfaithful. (reps)
KC is the finest example of someone who simply can't come to grips with reality no matter what.
He is STILL floating on faith.
All this time and energy he has wasted on an idea that is nothing but folly.

I hadn't been here in a good while and liked The Bearded Dude's post and thought it was spot on.
I see it is the same old song and KC style dance all nice and cozy around here.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2012, 10:49 AM
(23-10-2012 04:11 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 11:27 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ... a Damascus Road Experience to believe.

Has this been chronicled somewhere on TTA?
Yes.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
24-10-2012, 04:07 PM
(24-10-2012 10:49 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 04:11 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Has this been chronicled somewhere on TTA?
Yes.

Thank you, Vosur. Darn, I had thought I'd missed some post somewhere. Alas, no.

So, KC, do you not find the idea that you are elect to be important to the world? If what you believed were true, wouldn't it be the sort of thing important for everyone in the world to know? Wouldn't you be spending your time trying to convince important humans of the truth of your conviction, rather than just those few people who show up at your church?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
24-10-2012, 04:32 PM
(23-10-2012 08:17 AM)Vosur Wrote:  1. Do you or do you not teach your children to question the church and your authority when it comes to superstition and claims of the supernatural?

Yes. If these authorities are not in line with Biblical teachings.

Quote:2. Do you realize that you are most definetly capable of rational and critical thinking, but that you have not applied these skills to the core foundation of your belief?

But I have. I've just come to a different conclusion. My rationale and logic have helped with my understanding of what happened.

Quote:3. Do you understand that what you're doing is, if the answer to 1. is "No, I don't", the very definition of indoctrinating your children into believing something that can cripple their ability to think rationally and critically about superstition for a long time?

I understand this. But, my answer is "yes"; however, you'll say that I'm indoctrinating my children into believing in God. I suppose this is true, but like I said before, I believe this is the best thing for my children.

God will either reveal Himself to them or He want. With the addition of my encouraging critical thinking and rationale if, God forbid, they are not elect; then I don't think they will have a hard time transitioning - especially with my and my wife's unconditional love towards them.

Quote:If you don't want to answer any of my questions, just say so, I can accept that. In fact, I could understand that decision quite well, because they are rather personal and seemingly provocative questions after all.

You're good. No problem.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-10-2012, 04:33 PM
(23-10-2012 08:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Not surprising that you would raise your kids based off of your views, in the very same way that a vegetarian is likely to raise their kids on a vegetarian diet or how my father-in-law is anti-vaccine and raises his kids without giving them vaccines. Raising them as you see best doesn't mean your right, but it is what feels right to you and the idea is that if it helps you, it can help them. Rational enough I suppose.

Having said that, my wife and I are on opposite sides of the god debate, she a theist me a...well...you know. I have no problems with her taking my son to church or him going to Sunday school. As long as A) it isn't some batshit crazy fundamentalist church (which she has no interest in attending anyways) and B) he only goes if he wants to and C) I be allowed to answer any questions he may have with my honest opinion.

I don't know what your "Damascus Road Experience" was but what will be your opinion if your children decide they don't believe in god? Or at the very least that they don't believe in your god? Will you use this personal experience to try and sway them into believing? Will you tell them to seek out their own experience? What if they are not convinced, or they do not have one, or they rationalize it via an understanding through science rather than faith?

I have always said I will love my kids unconditionally.

24-10-2012, 04:33 PM
(23-10-2012 02:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 07:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It is a collective of Reformed Theology with Evolutionary Creationism. Biologos.com touches on this, and it's a conclusion I've come to from the study of science, Ancient Near East history, and Biblical theology.

Eph 2:8
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

Let's see, you don't need the Bible or ANE history to understand science.
You need science but don't need the Bible to understand ANE history.
Therefore, you don't need the Bible.

This weekly dig at KC was brought to you by Chas, fine purveyor of T&D since 2011.

Thanks, bud Smile

24-10-2012, 04:34 PM
(23-10-2012 10:04 PM)Jack Wrote:  Do you believe you have ever talked to/heard/seen god?

I ask this because many of the pastors at the church I used to go to claimed to have had conversations or heard directly from god. One even claimed that god came to him in his sleep to help him quit his drug abuse.

God reveals Himself to me... but not audibly. It's more or less a 100% understanding/conviction/etc in my case.

24-10-2012, 04:35 PM
(23-10-2012 10:09 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 08:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  179 pages and the man is still a theist? Jesus. We need to bring out the big guns.

Thumbsup I agree!

Although I would point out that we could sentence him to 50 years of Hitchens and he would probably STILL come here to gain his brownie love from the unfaithful. (reps)
KC is the finest example of someone who simply can't come to grips with reality no matter what.
He is STILL floating on faith.
All this time and energy he has wasted on an idea that is nothing but folly.

I hadn't been here in a good while and liked The Bearded Dude's post and thought it was spot on.
I see it is the same old song and KC style dance all nice and cozy around here.

Hi, TT. Miss you.