Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
24-10-2012, 04:36 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(24-10-2012 04:07 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 10:49 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Yes.

Thank you, Vosur. Darn, I had thought I'd missed some post somewhere. Alas, no.

So, KC, do you not find the idea that you are elect to be important to the world? If what you believed were true, wouldn't it be the sort of thing important for everyone in the world to know? Wouldn't you be spending your time trying to convince important humans of the truth of your conviction, rather than just those few people who show up at your church?

I can't convince anyone one of anything. God has already chosen the elect for salvation.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2012, 04:37 PM
(24-10-2012 04:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
Quote:2. Do you realize that you are most definetly capable of rational and critical thinking, but that you have not applied these skills to the core foundation of your belief?

Can you help us understand? Can you step us through it?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
24-10-2012, 04:39 PM
(24-10-2012 04:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 04:07 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Thank you, Vosur. Darn, I had thought I'd missed some post somewhere. Alas, no.

So, KC, do you not find the idea that you are elect to be important to the world? If what you believed were true, wouldn't it be the sort of thing important for everyone in the world to know? Wouldn't you be spending your time trying to convince important humans of the truth of your conviction, rather than just those few people who show up at your church?

I can't convince anyone one of anything. God has already chosen the elect for salvation.

Then why do you go to church? Why do you teach classes on anything religious at all? Do you pray? If yes, why?

24-10-2012, 04:47 PM
(24-10-2012 04:39 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 04:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I can't convince anyone one of anything. God has already chosen the elect for salvation.

Then why do you go to church? Why do you teach classes on anything religious at all? Do you pray? If yes, why?

I go to church to be in a community of believers. God uses this community in different ways and for different reasons. This community is also there to help one's understanding of God through fellowship.

I teach because I feel God calls me to teach. We are to learn and study the scripture to have a deeper understanding of God.

Yes, I pray. This is also addressed in that Calvinist thread:

Prayer is essential because it is communication with God. Most people see prayer as “Oh hai god! Heal plz. Can I have this?” Prayer, in essence, isn’t this at all. Yes, our fates our determined, but this line of communication helps us understand God. It allows Him to answer questions. He can reveal to us the “whys”. Prayer is for us. It’s not for God.

We are to pray for others in obedience. Praying for others also allows God to reveal to us how He wants us to be used, what to say, and how to act around others. Ultimately, none of that is our choice; however, prayer is use as an explanation for His purpose and a look into His will.

24-10-2012, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2012 04:51 PM by Vosur.)
(24-10-2012 04:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes. If these authorities are not in line with Biblical teachings.
You're intelligent enough to know that this is not what I was going for with my question.

(24-10-2012 04:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But I have. I've just come to a different conclusion. My rationale and logic have helped with my understanding of what happened.
Care to explain how your supernatural explanation "God did it!" is more rational and logically sound than the naturalistic alternatives?

(24-10-2012 04:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I understand this. But, my answer is "yes"; however, you'll say that I'm indoctrinating my children into believing in God. I suppose this is true, but like I said before, I believe this is the best thing for my children.
You clearly misunderstood the intention of my question, so I'll make it clear this time:

"Do you or do you not teach your children to question the church and your authority when it comes to superstition and claims of the supernatural regardless of biblical teachings and your personal views?"

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
24-10-2012, 04:52 PM
(24-10-2012 04:48 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 04:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes. If these authorities are not in line with Biblical teachings.
You're intelligent enough to know that this was not what I was going for with my question.

(24-10-2012 04:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But I have. I've just come to a different conclusion. My rationale and logic have helped with my understanding of what happened.
Care to explain how your supernatural explanation "God did it!" is more rational and logically sound than the naturalistic alternatives?

(24-10-2012 04:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I understand this. But, my answer is "yes"; however, you'll say that I'm indoctrinating my children into believing in God. I suppose this is true, but like I said before, I believe this is the best thing for my children.
You clearly misunderstood the intention of my question, so I'll make it clear this time:

"Do you or do you not teach your children to question the church and your authority when it comes to superstition and claims of the supernatural regardless of the biblical teachings and your personal views?"

Because nothing natural effectively explains or gives a satisfying explanation what happened to me. It may to you, but you're not me; you can't understand my change from one state of being to the next.

I guess the answer is "no". Since that would be self defeating against that which I believe is right. It would be like teaching my children how to do something and then telling them that I told them the wrong way to do it.

24-10-2012, 05:07 PM
(24-10-2012 04:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because nothing natural effectively explains or gives a satisfying explanation what happened to me. It may to you, but you're not me; you can't understand my change from one state of being to the next.
I'll get back to you once I've done more research about psychology.

(24-10-2012 04:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I guess the answer is "no". Since that would be self defeating against that which I believe is right. It would be like teaching my children how to do something and then telling them that I told them the wrong way to do it.
In that case, you are not raising them as freethinkers and de facto indoctrinating them. I'm fine with this as long as you realize that you're doing it. Good to finally have it in black and white.

24-10-2012, 05:11 PM
(24-10-2012 05:07 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 04:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because nothing natural effectively explains or gives a satisfying explanation what happened to me. It may to you, but you're not me; you can't understand my change from one state of being to the next.
I'll get back to you once I've done more research about psychology.

(24-10-2012 04:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I guess the answer is "no". Since that would be self defeating against that which I believe is right. It would be like teaching my children how to do something and then telling them that I told them the wrong way to do it.
In that case, you are not raising them as freethinkers and de facto indoctrinating them. I'm fine with this as long as you realize that you're doing it. Good to finally have it in black and white.

That's fine; just don't twist my words in future dialogues with, "KC already admitted to me that he knows and it completely okay with indoctrinating his children."

You and I both know that I view it differently; thus, a different concept for me.

Don't take what I said out of context.

24-10-2012, 05:18 PM
(24-10-2012 05:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  That's fine; just don't twist my words in future dialogues with, "KC already admitted to me that he knows and it completely okay with indoctrinating his children."

You and I both know that I view it differently; thus, a different concept for me.

Don't take what I said out of context.
Oh, I don't need to do that. If there's ever a reason for me to state something like that, I'll post a link to this thread instead.

Having said, do you think that the word "indoctrinate" is inappropriate for what you're doing? Note that the aim of my question is to find out whether or not you agree that the way you raise your kids fits with the definition of the word itself.

24-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Nothing you've yet found. Doesn't mean such an explanation doesn't exist. And if you keep it to yourself the rest of your life, it may never be found.