Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
11-11-2012, 08:40 AM
RE: Ensoulment
(10-11-2012 10:03 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(08-11-2012 10:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  When does a human get a soul? Why do you think that? On what evidence?

If you believe only from reason, then it is merely your opinion.
If you believe only from scripture, then it is merely someone else's opinion.
A soul is initialized at conception, but I'm not 100% on this. Truth is, I don't really know, nor do I think I'll ever know the answer to that.
OK, but why do you think that, and why aren't you sure?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 06:17 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
KC, I just want to be sure I understand where you're coming from. Please correct me where I've gotten a detail wrong.

You feel you were visited by an unseen, intangible presence which commanded you to consult the Bible. The things you read therein confirmed, for you, that the presence was the Christian God. This God revealed to you your elect status. You became a Calvinist as a result of the revelations.

I realize this is a gross oversimplification and I assure you I mean no disrespect by this. I am merely attempting to understand you better and I need a basic model to begin with. From here the details will fill in with further exposure to your responses in this thread. Have I missed anything that you feel absolutely should not be left out?

Thanks for your patience.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 06:27 PM
(12-11-2012 06:17 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  KC, I just want to be sure I understand where you're coming from. Please correct me where I've gotten a detail wrong.

You feel you were visited by an unseen, intangible presence which commanded you to consult the Bible. The things you read therein confirmed, for you, that the presence was the Christian God. This God revealed to you your elect status. You became a Calvinist as a result of the revelations.

I realize this is a gross oversimplification and I assure you I mean no disrespect by this. I am merely attempting to understand you better and I need a basic model to begin with. From here the details will fill in with further exposure to your responses in this thread. Have I missed anything that you feel absolutely should not be left out?

That, and the fairy dust. Lecture_preist

12-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Ask a Theist!
(12-11-2012 06:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 06:17 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  KC, I just want to be sure I understand where you're coming from. Please correct me where I've gotten a detail wrong.

That, and the fairy dust. Lecture_preist

And the head trauma.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-11-2012, 06:34 PM
(12-11-2012 06:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  That, and the fairy dust. Lecture_preist

(12-11-2012 06:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  And the head trauma.

OK, this is confusing for me. I know you guys have known KC for a long time and have been through almost all of these arguments before. When you post like this it's hard for me to tell whether this is random humor or references to real posts in the past. So, which is it in these cases?

12-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Ask a Theist!
(12-11-2012 06:34 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 06:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  That, and the fairy dust. Lecture_preist

(12-11-2012 06:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  And the head trauma.

OK, this is confusing for me. I know you guys have known KC for a long time and have been through almost all of these arguments before. When you post like this it's hard for me to tell whether this is random humor or references to real posts in the past. So, which is it in these cases?

Well he really does use fairy dust.

Head trauma was what the Terse and Deadly One has used to explain Kingsy's "Damascus Road" conversion.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-11-2012, 06:52 PM
(12-11-2012 06:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 06:34 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  OK, this is confusing for me. I know you guys have known KC for a long time and have been through almost all of these arguments before. When you post like this it's hard for me to tell whether this is random humor or references to real posts in the past. So, which is it in these cases?

Well he really does use fairy dust.

Head trauma was what the Terse and Deadly One has used to explain Kingsy's "Damascus Road" conversion.
OK, I thought maybe there was something behind that. I haven't yet had a good explanation of this conversion. I asked before but I wasn't satisfied by the answer (sorry, can't recall why now). At first I thought it literally happened on the literal Road to Damascus. Tongue I'm guessing the reference is just metaphorical?

12-11-2012, 06:56 PM
(12-11-2012 06:52 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 06:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Well he really does use fairy dust.

OK, I thought maybe there was something behind that. I haven't yet had a good explanation of this conversion. I asked before but I wasn't satisfied by the answer (sorry, can't recall why now). At first I thought it literally happened on the literal Road to Damascus. Tongue I'm guessing the reference is just metaphorical?

It's a Biblical reference to Paul's (St. Paul) conversion.

The rest is me and Erxy being me and Erxy. Smile

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-11-2012, 07:00 PM
(12-11-2012 06:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 06:52 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  OK, I thought maybe there was something behind that. I haven't yet had a good explanation of this conversion. I asked before but I wasn't satisfied by the answer (sorry, can't recall why now). At first I thought it literally happened on the literal Road to Damascus. Tongue I'm guessing the reference is just metaphorical?

It's a Biblical reference to Paul's (St. Paul) conversion.

The rest is me and Erxy being me and Erxy. Smile
Excellent! Thanks for the resource. How revealing!

So, as to my original assessment of KC, how accurate do you guys feel it is? Have I missed important plot points?

12-11-2012, 07:04 PM
It's pretty spot on, I suppose.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]