Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
16-11-2012, 10:40 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(16-11-2012 10:24 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 10:15 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Have you personally seen or experienced a miracle, defined as something that happened that defied natural laws?
Yes.

But I'm not discussing it.

It's something I only discuss with my brother and my wife.

Sorry, some of my life must remain private.

But you do see that we are now justified in completely ignoring your beliefs. The only thing that might have value, you withhold.

Your answers are without value or merit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-11-2012, 10:49 AM
(16-11-2012 10:39 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 10:18 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  1) God is autonomous. His justice is His own. According to human standards, though, no... He does not treat everyone equally.

2) Like I said, He is not just in that way. The non-elect were created in accordance to sin - sin had to occur; therefore, there had to be non-elect. This fulfills Christ's purpose.

3) To me, yes. If God is truly omnipotence, omniscient, and omnipresent, then I could never understand or comprehend the entire scope of His plan. I could only judge a small portion of what I know and see, so this makes me unqualified in judging Him. Since He is infinite, He is worthy of praise, as nothing greater could ever be.

Once more, i take issue with something here.

Putting aside the total lack of a need for Christ for the time being that is.

Simply by saying that the scope of your Atrocity's plan is beyond comprehension, implies comprehension and a knowledge that it is far too vast for your puny, human mind to understand. Not to mention that you understand it is male... somehow, in spite is it's supposed perfection.

And no. No, No, No. "He" is not worthy of praise. Praising something pure merit of existence is pathetic to say the least, simply because something exists (which in this case is highly unlikely) does not, in anyway mean that it should be praised, in fact if you god does exist, it should be reviled Mothers should use it as a Boogieman faerie tale to frighten disobedient children.

I submit to you sir, that no greater evil could ever be.
He is a "He" because that is the way it is communicated to us.

He is worthy of praise because of His perfection.

I get the frustration of the notion, "You are just too small to understand God" but it logically makes sense.

We cannot comprehend something that is infinite. If we obtain all the knowledge that we could ever possibly obtain, it would still be an irrelevant number compared to infinity.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
16-11-2012, 10:53 AM
(16-11-2012 10:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 10:24 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes.

But you do see that we are now justified in completely ignoring your beliefs. The only thing that might have value, you withhold.

I've always said that, Chas.

Likewise, I've never whined or complained that y'all don't accept my beliefs.

My beliefs are faith based, something that I can't prove empirically, so I can't prove anything to anyone - nor do I try. I just simply relay my information to others.

Faith is given to believers by God. This is why we have the capacity to believe.

16-11-2012, 10:53 AM
(16-11-2012 10:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 10:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No, I don't think they are unique or common, and yes, I believe that most can be explained naturally and are just incredible events (planned by God Wink)

This is the same vein as what I said about demon possession. 99% of possessions are a mental illness.
You make Benny Hinn very sad. No
Can't say I'm upset about this.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
16-11-2012, 10:56 AM
(16-11-2012 10:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 10:24 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes.

Yeah, that's why there's a hundred ninety-seven pages of 'em. Dodgy

At least they have entertainment value; as for merit, we are shown what to avoid. Big Grin

living word
16-11-2012, 10:57 AM
(16-11-2012 10:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 10:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  But you do see that we are now justified in completely ignoring your beliefs. The only thing that might have value, you withhold.

I've always said that, Chas.

My beliefs are faith based, something that I can't prove empirically, so I can't prove anything to anyone - nor do I try. I just simply relay my information to others.

Faith is given to believers by God. This is why we have the capacity to believe.
I'm certainly not whining or complaining, just noting that you are unconvincing. And by withholding the basis of your faith, you have made all of your statements and answers uninteresting.

Your arguments are all circular. You choose to call that critical thinking, but actual thinkers disagree with you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
16-11-2012, 10:59 AM
(16-11-2012 10:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 10:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've always said that, Chas.

I'm certainly not whining or complaining, just noting that you are unconvincing.

Your arguments are all circular. You choose to call that critical thinking, but actual thinkers disagree with you.
Yes, they are circular without God.

If you factor in God, then no, they aren't.

I wasn't say you're whining or complaining, I was saying that I didn't do that.

I'm not trying to convince... I have no intention of convincing... that's not my job.

16-11-2012, 11:00 AM
(16-11-2012 10:56 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 10:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  But you do see that we are now justified in completely ignoring your beliefs. The only thing that might have value, you withhold.

Yeah, that's why there's a hundred ninety-seven pages of 'em. Dodgy

At least they have entertainment value; as for merit, we are shown what to avoid. Big Grin
40 pages.

Why are you not viewing 50 posts per page?

16-11-2012, 11:02 AM
(16-11-2012 10:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm certainly not whining or complaining,

I'll buy that for a dollar... Tongue

living word
16-11-2012, 12:17 PM
(16-11-2012 10:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 11:39 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  And you trust this sentience?
I do.
This is the part I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. See, if I encountered stimuli that could be interpreted as an external sentient presence I would be immediately suspicious. Yet you seem to trust this presence wholeheartedly.

What was your first reaction to this presence? If your first reaction was natural suspicion, how did you eventually come to trust it? If your first reaction was not suspicion, why not?

In other words: Presuming this presence exists, why do you feel you have not been deceived by it?

Also, it may be more useful to measure the length of a thread by the number of posts, rather than pages. Which is the longest thread on these forums?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post