Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
16-11-2012, 12:22 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(16-11-2012 12:17 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  In other words: Presuming this presence exists, why do you feel you have not been deceived by it?

Feelings, your Smurfiness. It's a very trustworthy sort of presence.

Quote:Also, it may be more useful to measure the length of a thread by the number of posts, rather than pages. Which is the longest thread on these forums?

Probably that word game one started by Grassy Knoll. Kinda sad it died... what was it called... ? Argh... too lazy to search Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2012, 12:29 PM
(16-11-2012 12:17 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  This is the part I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. See, if I encountered stimuli that could be interpreted as an external sentient presence I would be immediately suspicious. Yet you seem to trust this presence wholeheartedly.

What was your first reaction to this presence? If your first reaction was natural suspicion, how did you eventually come to trust it? If your first reaction was not suspicion, why not?

I was extremely suspicious. I was frustrated too. I didn't know what was happening. This is why I researched all the different religions and eventually came across predestination in Christianity.

This is when everything made sense. I started trusting this entity because faith in this entity was given to me.

Quote:In other words: Presuming this presence exists, why do you feel you have not been deceived by it?

If God is who He says He is per the Bible, then He isn't deceiving me - as God doesn't deceive His elect in terms of salvation. It is possible that I am being deceived, but I have no belief that I am being deceived.

Quote:Also, it may be more useful to measure the length of a thread by the number of posts, rather than pages. Which is the longest thread on these forums?

In long, fast moving threads, posts can be missed if there is only 10 per page. With 50 per page, there is better chance you won't miss anything.

Also, this thread is the largest "serious" thread and third largest overall.

The intro thread is the largest.

The word association game thread is the second largest.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/stats.php

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Wait, this is a serious thread?

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-11-2012, 12:36 PM
(16-11-2012 12:34 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Wait, this is a serious thread?
Drinking Beverage

16-11-2012, 12:37 PM
(16-11-2012 12:17 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Also, it may be more useful to measure the length of a thread by the number of posts, rather than pages.

That makes no fucking sense. You need to have your atheism revoked. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-11-2012, 12:40 PM
(16-11-2012 12:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I started trusting this entity because faith in this entity was given to me.

You're going to need to explain this to me in detail as it makes no sense to me as worded here.

(16-11-2012 12:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  If God is who He says He is per the Bible, then He isn't deceiving me - as God doesn't deceive His elect in terms of salvation. It is possible that I am being deceived, but I have no belief that I am being deceived.

Perhaps you misunderstood my question. I wasn't asking how you know God is not deceiving you. How do you know you are not being deceived by an external presence that is not (a) God? How do you know that your attempts to understand and reconcile this presence through studies of religion were not misguided? How do you know that your attribution of "God" to it is not misguided?

Had this been my experience, the first source of explanation I would have turned to would have been science, not religion.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
16-11-2012, 01:02 PM
(16-11-2012 12:40 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  You're going to need to explain this to me in detail as it makes no sense to me as worded here.

You cannot believe in God unless you have faith. You cannot have faith unless it is given to you by God.

Cardinal Smurf Wrote:Perhaps you misunderstood my question. I wasn't asking how you know God is not deceiving you. How do you know you are not being deceived by an external presence that is not (a) God? How do you know that your attempts to understand and reconcile this presence through studies of religion were not misguided? How do you know that your attribution of "God" to it is not misguided?

Had this been my experience, the first source of explanation I would have turned to would have been science, not religion.

I don't "know".

My theology has changed over the years because my previous theology didn't align with the Bible and then science, logic, and reason.

I do feel that I'm not being deceived because my beliefs are very much Biblical. You can even ask others... my theology may be abhorrent, but it is reconciled and does align with what the Bible says.

I did turn to science, but there was no logical or scientific reason as to why I changed (and no, Chas, the headaches weren't the cause).

16-11-2012, 01:08 PM
(16-11-2012 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My theology has changed over the years because my previous theology didn't align with the Bible and then science, logic, and reason.
Are you implying that it does now? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
16-11-2012, 01:09 PM
(16-11-2012 01:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My theology has changed over the years because my previous theology didn't align with the Bible and then science, logic, and reason.
Are you implying that it does now? Consider
In the aforementioned order, yes.

16-11-2012, 01:10 PM
(16-11-2012 01:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 01:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Are you implying that it does now? Consider
In the aforementioned order, yes.
I'm confused by your wording. Care to clarify?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]