Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
16-11-2012, 01:29 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(16-11-2012 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You cannot believe in God unless you have faith. You cannot have faith unless it is given to you by God.

Now it makes less sense.

(16-11-2012 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I do feel that I'm not being deceived because my beliefs are very much Biblical. You can even ask others... my theology may be abhorrent, but it is reconciled and does align with what the Bible says.

How is this a way to tell you are not being deceived? If I were a sentient presence interested in deceiving you into believing that I was God, I would only need to point you in the direction of the Bible? You would read it and instantly assume I am God speaking to you? You're losing me.

(16-11-2012 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I did turn to science, but there was no logical or scientific reason as to why I changed (and no, Chas, the headaches weren't the cause).

Please explain "changed"? Also, explain how you turned to science? Also, explain these headaches, please?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Coooonfessss !!!!
16-11-2012, 02:05 PM
(16-11-2012 01:10 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 01:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  In the aforementioned order, yes.
I'm confused by your wording. Care to clarify?
Sure.

My theology could be affected by a number of reasons; however, Biblical alignment takes precedence over science, history, logic, rationale, etc

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-11-2012, 02:09 PM
(16-11-2012 02:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Sure.

My theology could be affected by a number of reasons; however, Biblical alignment takes precedence over science, history, logic, rationale, etc
Much better, thanks.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
16-11-2012, 02:19 PM
(16-11-2012 02:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Biblical alignment takes precedence over science, history, logic, rationale, etc
Blown away that you're so clear on this, and yet... you don't see a problem. The Bible is great 'cos it's the Bible which is the Word Of GOD!!! And I can't prove any of this, I may just be talking out my ass, but I'll let it rule my life...

Mind you, the formula's worked so far. You got an OK life. What if you'd been handed a shit life? I guess still you'd be faithful - after all the Big Man (well, his dodgy agent) has promised you wealth untold...
16-11-2012, 02:23 PM
(16-11-2012 01:29 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Now it makes less sense.

No one can "just" have faith in God.

Eph 2:8
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

To believe in God, you first must be given the gift of faith.

Quote:How is this a way to tell you are not being deceived? If I were a sentient presence interested in deceiving you into believing that I was God, I would only need to point you in the direction of the Bible? You would read it and instantly assume I am God speaking to you? You're losing me.

Hmmm, I think I see what you're saying.

ie - How can I know if Christianity and the belief in the Christian God is a deception or not; and say for instance, that the God of Islam is really God and we're being deceived by a malevolent force under the authority of the Islamic God?

Under that premise, I have no way of knowing. But, if the God allows for me to be deceived, then there isn't anything I can do about it, unfortunately.

Quote:Please explain "changed"? Also, explain how you turned to science? Also, explain these headaches, please?

I changed from not believing in God to believing in God.

I believe in evolution.

Cluster headaches from taking medicine.

16-11-2012, 02:26 PM
(16-11-2012 02:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 02:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Sure.

Much better, thanks.
Also, keep in mind, the Bible doesn't teach science nor tries to teach science. It conveys the science of its day. So, I don't take Biblical science over modern science - I take the theology of God conveyed in the Bible to explain modern science.

16-11-2012, 02:27 PM
(16-11-2012 02:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 02:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Biblical alignment takes precedence over science, history, logic, rationale, etc
Blown away that you're so clear on this, and yet... you don't see a problem. The Bible is great 'cos it's the Bible which is the Word Of GOD!!! And I can't prove any of this, I may just be talking out my ass, but I'll let it rule my life...

Mind you, the formula's worked so far. You got an OK life. What if you'd been handed a shit life? I guess still you'd be faithful - after all the Big Man (well, his dodgy agent) has promised you wealth untold...
See above response to Vosur.

And, I don't know if things would be different. If in the world you described I was elect, then I would be compelled to believe in God.

16-11-2012, 02:28 PM
When you're in heaven, will you gloat at the plight of the damned?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
16-11-2012, 02:33 PM
(16-11-2012 02:28 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  When you're in heaven, will you gloat at the plight of the damned?
No.

I'm pretty sure I won't be aware at the plight of the damned.