Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
13-12-2011, 11:13 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(13-12-2011 11:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 10:45 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 10:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 10:24 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Heh, Chas asked the exact same thing.

I base it on what I guided to believe after my conversion. If I have faith that God chose me salvation, then I have faith that God will lead me to truth through the Bible. I have no other evidence than that.
-and-
In short, my conversion was so earth-shattering for me, that it presented evidence that was more than faith alone. I was the evidence - my change.

OK, but you ought to seriously consider that you are experiencing a delusion.
The migraines are worrisome.
Just sayin'.

But the migraines were before and after my conversion. That and the fact that migraines don't cause delusions.

Not so fast there, KC.
Migraine madness: recurrent psychosis after migraine
Also, some medications, including ones for migraines, can cause delusions.
And there is delusional disorder.

I'll say no more on this - don't want to flog a dead horse.

Gonna have to try to see if I can get you to say more... Big Grin
(Godless Pastor Erxomai is a little devil).

We've certainly diagnosed KC's problems, but what is your opinion on the source for the rest of Regionanity's Delusions? Surely not every religious person has migraines or takes medication. Yet, we know them to be delusional anyway.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2011, 11:16 PM
(13-12-2011 11:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 10:45 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 10:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 10:24 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Heh, Chas asked the exact same thing.

I base it on what I guided to believe after my conversion. If I have faith that God chose me salvation, then I have faith that God will lead me to truth through the Bible. I have no other evidence than that.
-and-
In short, my conversion was so earth-shattering for me, that it presented evidence that was more than faith alone. I was the evidence - my change.

OK, but you ought to seriously consider that you are experiencing a delusion.
The migraines are worrisome.
Just sayin'.

But the migraines were before and after my conversion. That and the fact that migraines don't cause delusions.

Not so fast there, KC.
Migraine madness: recurrent psychosis after migraine
Also, some medications, including ones for migraines, can cause delusions.
And there is delusional disorder.

I'll say no more on this - don't want to flog a dead horse.

Ok, yeah... that's nothing like mine. But, I see where you're going with it. Still doesn't explain the before and after, though.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Girlyman, I assume you're referring to the Armour of God mentioned in Ephesians 6? I can't find any reference to knee armour there... I can find the shield of faith which stops flaming arrows of the evil one... Am I looking at the wrong translation?

I like the idea of the belt of truth - keeps your trousers up Rolleyes
14-12-2011, 10:38 AM
(13-12-2011 11:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ok, yeah... that's nothing like mine. But, I see where you're going with it. Still doesn't explain the before and after, though.

I guess you missed the word 'recurring'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2011, 10:43 AM
(14-12-2011 10:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 11:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ok, yeah... that's nothing like mine. But, I see where you're going with it. Still doesn't explain the before and after, though.

I guess you missed the word 'recurring'.

Mine were caused by sinus. Basically, not real migraines; but recurring sinus headaches - which is why the neurologists couldn't figure out what was wrong. I went to an ENT, and he was like, "Well, here's your problem."

I had surgery and it stopped 95% of my headaches.

14-12-2011, 10:45 AM
You threw me off with your mis-use of 'migraine'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-12-2011, 10:47 AM
(14-12-2011 10:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  You threw me off with your mis-use of 'migraine'.

I'm tricky like that.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5DqwjzbONnYyEi9cNZE9...7BH6VdLoZg]

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
14-12-2011, 06:52 PM
(13-12-2011 11:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  Girlyman, I assume you're referring to the Armour of God mentioned in Ephesians 6? I can't find any reference to knee armour there... I can find the shield of faith which stops flaming arrows of the evil one... Am I looking at the wrong translation?

I like the idea of the belt of truth - keeps your trousers up Rolleyes

You have to go to the Skyrim translation to find it. Wink

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-12-2011, 09:14 AM
I have a new question for the theist...

"Why is it that you think your form of religion (Christianity: Calvinism) is the right form of religion"

In other words: Why Is it that you're a Calvinist and not a Buddhist? What if your wrong?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
15-12-2011, 09:26 AM
(15-12-2011 09:14 AM)The_observer Wrote:  I have a new question for the theist...

"Why is it that you think your form of religion (Christianity: Calvinism) is the right form of religion"

In other words: Why Is it that you're a Calvinist and not a Buddhist? What if your wrong?

From this thread.

Evidence for me being elect:

Growing up, I was always embarrassed of Christianity and whenever my parents talked about Jesus. I thought church was silly, and I found the stories nothing more than fantasy.

I finally accepted agnosticism in college as my official belief, and I began to rip Christianity apart with the use of logic and rationality. I would combat Christians on the Internet via forums and use the aforementioned tactics against them to make them look like fools. I was good at it.

Driving home from work one day, my life changed. My heart was opened to a higher power; even though I didn't know whom. I'll try my best to explain this: I found myself suddenly and sincerely praying and listening to this higher power for guidance. This was wholly strange to me because up until that moment I didn't believe in a God that I could talk to.

My beliefs so drastically changed than I began to get angry with myself. I didn't understand how I could rationally accept that there was a higher power that I could converse with. It wasn't logical. Also, I never wanted to talk to a higher power, and I didn't understand how I was doing it if I didn't choose to. My knowledge of religion pre-empted the idea that I had to choose it.

The higher power led me to read and study the Bible. This was the first time that I’ve ever actually done it. It was at this time that I realized that the higher power I was talking to was the Christian God; however, I still didn’t understand why I didn’t get a choice. As my studying intensified, I began to learn about election. And then, it made sense. I realized that then reason I didn’t have a choice is because I was never planned to have a choice.

I knew that I was elect because I learned that those who are elect can hear the will of God and those that aren’t cannot even understand it.

So, that’s my evidence. I guess the most concrete part of it is the fact that my beliefs radically changed and became cemented by no choice of my own.