Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
26-11-2012, 12:30 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(26-11-2012 12:20 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 12:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  So then, in relation to theology, I'm not irrational.

Even so, wouldn't you say that my beliefs are very rational based on the concept of an omnipotent and omniscient God?
In relation to theology, you are very irrational. My theological position is that it requires evidence, and that it does not have any such thing as of yet. Your position is that it has some sort of weighted argument, despite it relying solely on anecdotal evidence.

No, because you believe in an omnipotent and omniscient God.
You're not getting what I'm saying -_-

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2012, 12:33 PM
(26-11-2012 12:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 11:53 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The majority of positions concerning theology are.
So then, in relation to theology, I'm not irrational.

Even so, wouldn't you say that my beliefs are very rational based on the concept of an omnipotent and omniscient God?
But that's the problem, you are starting with a completely unsupported assumption. You can't just say "start with the assumption that there is a God who knows and controls all" and then the rest makes sense. Because the initial assumption makes no sense. Garbage in, garbage out.

Damn, I said I was not going to do this anymore, didn't I?
26-11-2012, 12:43 PM
(26-11-2012 12:33 PM)tikidoc Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 12:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  So then, in relation to theology, I'm not irrational.

But that's the problem, you are starting with a completely unsupported assumption. You can't just say "start with the assumption that there is a God who knows and controls all" and then the rest makes sense. Because the initial assumption makes no sense. Garbage in, garbage out.

Damn, I said I was not going to do this anymore, didn't I?
Refocus what we're talking about here.

It's not whether or not God is omnipotent or omniscient (yes I realized this is a debate topic, but it's not what we're addressing), but it's about whether or not my theology coincides with those perimeters.

I know y'all think theology is irrational. I know y'all think the belief in an infinite God is ludicrous. But, I believe these things.

LH made the comment that my theology was irrational.

This assumes that theology has credence, so the new argument is based on this assumption.

I responded as to why I think my theology is air tight (in regards to theology - theology, more or less, is the study of the metaphysical, which we know trying to prove/disprove the metaphysical with the physical is impossible).

You then said that my position is wrong because the whole belief is wrong.

This is an unfair response.

If we are going to talk about theology, you can't interject atheistic beliefs. It would be like me trying to use the Bible to tell you why your atheism is wrong.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
26-11-2012, 01:32 PM
(26-11-2012 12:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 12:20 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  In relation to theology, you are very irrational. My theological position is that it requires evidence, and that it does not have any such thing as of yet. Your position is that it has some sort of weighted argument, despite it relying solely on anecdotal evidence.

No, because you believe in an omnipotent and omniscient God.
You're not getting what I'm saying -_-
No, I understand what you are saying. I am looking past it and saying what I think about you.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
26-11-2012, 02:18 PM
*test* disregard!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
26-11-2012, 02:20 PM
(26-11-2012 02:18 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  *test* disregard!
Ha ! You're out of luck. This post has been officially *regarded* Big Grin
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
26-11-2012, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2012 09:20 PM by DeavonReye.)
(24-11-2012 11:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-11-2012 09:59 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:   <<<I'm not sure what this "destruction" entails for such christians, . . . annihilation? . . . everlasting "destruction" in flames?>>>
Not sure of your question?

Just bashing my beliefs?

You didn't see the question in my post? There, I made it more simple for you.

While we're at it, can you pick out the places where your god is NOT "omniscient"? Hint: Old Testament
26-11-2012, 09:47 PM
(26-11-2012 10:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 10:20 AM)tikidoc Wrote:  Your argument is circular. It's perfect because it's God's plan. How do you define perfect? Well, anything that is in God's plan, is by definition, perfect. Even if it would be viewed an an imperfect thing otherwise. And around, and around.
If God is omnipotent, then yes... yes, anything He does is perfect.

How do I accept that God is perfect? Back to the faith thing.

How do I get faith? From God.
all powerful does not mean all good. You can have all the power and be evil. And if the god you describe exists, this is certainly the case.
27-11-2012, 01:09 PM
(26-11-2012 11:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 11:33 AM)tikidoc Wrote:  Yea, but WHY do you believe this? I mean, this is a pretty convoluted story. Do you believe it because the bible tells you so? If so, why do you believe a 2000 year old book? The bible tells us tons of stuff that conflict. Why Calvinism? Many religious people, I understand to some degree because they were raised to believe. But someone who was converted later in life is especially perplexing to me... why this particular subset of Christianity?
My beliefs were radically changed by no choice of my own. Calvinism answered the questions of why and how they were changed.
I'm still not convinced you had no choice. You may not have felt that way, but that doesn't mean the source of your change was external. Most drug addicts (I'm not claiming this is necessarily the result of any addictions you had) also claim they have no choice.

Also, Calvinism didn't reveal itself to you. It was presented to you...by your own brother. I suspect you liked what it had to say and latched onto it.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
27-11-2012, 03:48 PM
(26-11-2012 10:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  We don't have freewill. But again, God is a God of order, and this the process He set up. We are capable of sin because of the process that God created. Yes, it's out of our control, but God mandates our sin in order to keep order.

Make sense?

Not in the slightest.

(26-11-2012 10:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Like I addressed early in this thread, the plan was infinite in existence... the decision for elect was because of Christ's sacrifice... but all of this was always planned. There is a cause and effect; however, they parallel each other in existence because they are both infinite.

But if some people were chosen to get into heaven and no one else was, then the sacrifice was meaningless since the elect were getting in either way.

But my earlier question still stands, Why do you willingly worship a being that intentionally creates people to suffer in life and in hell for eternity, with no possible option for escape?

Would you support a human dictator that picked which people got to live in luxury and then the rest spent the remainder of their life's being tortured, based on nothing more than he felt like it?.

Could you willingly pay tribute to and support someone like that?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 3 users Like FSM_scot's post