Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
27-11-2012, 07:19 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
You may have already been asked this question, but there are 215 pages, so forgive me if you have already answer this question.

Why are you a theist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2012, 09:07 PM
[Image: tumblr_mc2dr4FR5U1r79k9c.gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 5 users Like Free Thought's post
05-12-2012, 12:58 PM
(26-11-2012 09:16 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  
(24-11-2012 11:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not sure of your question?

Just bashing my beliefs?

You didn't see the question in my post? There, I made it more simple for you.

While we're at it, can you pick out the places where your god is NOT "omniscient"? Hint: Old Testament
In reference to hell?

It's eternal pain and torment.

Also, please be specific on when God isn't omniscient.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-12-2012, 12:59 PM
(26-11-2012 09:47 PM)Styrofoam02 Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 10:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If God is omnipotent, then yes... yes, anything He does is perfect.

How do I accept that God is perfect? Back to the faith thing.

How do I get faith? From God.
all powerful does not mean all good. You can have all the power and be evil. And if the god you describe exists, this is certainly the case.
You are right when you say all powerful doesn't mean all good; however, again "all good" is relative... just like morality.

05-12-2012, 01:00 PM
(27-11-2012 01:09 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 11:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  My beliefs were radically changed by no choice of my own. Calvinism answered the questions of why and how they were changed.
I'm still not convinced you had no choice. You may not have felt that way, but that doesn't mean the source of your change was external. Most drug addicts (I'm not claiming this is necessarily the result of any addictions you had) also claim they have no choice.

Also, Calvinism didn't reveal itself to you. It was presented to you...by your own brother. I suspect you liked what it had to say and latched onto it.
Calvinism was the only explanation as to what happened to me that made sense. Everything else had holes in it.

05-12-2012, 01:03 PM
(05-12-2012 01:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-11-2012 01:09 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I'm still not convinced you had no choice. You may not have felt that way, but that doesn't mean the source of your change was external. Most drug addicts (I'm not claiming this is necessarily the result of any addictions you had) also claim they have no choice.

Also, Calvinism didn't reveal itself to you. It was presented to you...by your own brother. I suspect you liked what it had to say and latched onto it.
Calvinism was the only explanation as to what happened to me that made sense. Everything else had holes in it.
Are you saying that Calvinism has no holes? Shocking

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
05-12-2012, 01:10 PM
(27-11-2012 03:48 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Not in the slightest.

Okay... let me try again.

We sin and sin happens because it was created for a purpose. Sin is inevitable. God assigns that sin because sin is needed to fulfill its purpose.

Quote:But if some people were chosen to get into heaven and no one else was, then the sacrifice was meaningless since the elect were getting in either way.

No. The election couldn't happen without the sacrifice.

Quote:But my earlier question still stands, Why do you willingly worship a being that intentionally creates people to suffer in life and in hell for eternity, with no possible option for escape?

I don't "willingly" do anything. But, the way I try to understand it is this: None of us deserve heaven. I was fortunately chosen. Since I accept, God's sovereignty, I cannot question His choices. I am completely subjugated to His will.

Quote:Would you support a human dictator that picked which people got to live in luxury and then the rest spent the remainder of their life's being tortured, based on nothing more than he felt like it?.

Could you willingly pay tribute to and support someone like that?

No. But, you're paralleling an infinite God to a very finite person. That is a false dilemma. Making analogies of any human or human like qualities to God cannot stand.

05-12-2012, 01:10 PM
(27-11-2012 07:19 PM)anontheist Wrote:  You may have already been asked this question, but there are 215 pages, so forgive me if you have already answer this question.

Why are you a theist?
Because I suddenly changed from not believing to believing.

05-12-2012, 01:11 PM
(05-12-2012 01:03 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(05-12-2012 01:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Calvinism was the only explanation as to what happened to me that made sense. Everything else had holes in it.
Are you saying that Calvinism has no holes? Shocking
None that I'm aware of.

05-12-2012, 02:08 PM
(05-12-2012 01:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(05-12-2012 01:03 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Are you saying that Calvinism has no holes? Shocking
None that I'm aware of.
Just to clarify: Do you mean it has no holes in it's explanatory power for your experience or no holes in general?

If it's the latter...

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]