Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
05-12-2012, 02:13 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(05-12-2012 02:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(05-12-2012 01:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  None that I'm aware of.
Just to clarify: Do you mean it has no holes in it's explanatory power for your experience or no holes in general?

If it's the latter...
Both actually.

But, I'm willing and open to hear these holes.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2012, 02:36 PM
(05-12-2012 01:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-11-2012 07:19 PM)anontheist Wrote:  You may have already been asked this question, but there are 215 pages, so forgive me if you have already answer this question.

Why are you a theist?
Because I suddenly changed from not believing to believing.
I assure you it was not sudden and incremental.....
05-12-2012, 02:49 PM
(05-12-2012 02:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Both actually.

Do you consider the complete and utter absence of any evidence to support it to be a hole? Do you consider it's inability to explain anything in our universe without raising even more complex and difficult questions to be a hole?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
05-12-2012, 02:59 PM
(05-12-2012 02:36 PM)Chase200mph Wrote:  
(05-12-2012 01:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because I suddenly changed from not believing to believing.
I assure you it was not sudden and incremental.....
So glad you're me and can tell me what happened to me.

05-12-2012, 03:00 PM
(05-12-2012 02:49 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(05-12-2012 02:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Both actually.

Do you consider the complete and utter absence of any evidence to support it to be a hole? Do you consider it's inability to explain anything in our universe without raising even more complex and difficult questions to be a hole?
Lack of empirical evidence?

Well no. I've addressed this many times with the concept of faith.

05-12-2012, 03:02 PM
(05-12-2012 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Lack of empirical evidence?

That simply means that you and me consider different things to be holes in a concept.

Also, what about the latter example?

Quote:Do you consider it's inability to explain anything in our universe without raising even more complex and difficult questions to be a hole?

05-12-2012, 03:06 PM
(05-12-2012 03:02 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(05-12-2012 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Lack of empirical evidence?

That simply means that you and me consider different things to be holes in a concept.

Also, what about the latter example?

Quote:Do you consider it's inability to explain anything in our universe without raising even more complex and difficult questions to be a hole?
Yeah, we see and interpret things differently, I suppose.

As for question 2 - not sure I follow why it doesn't explain anything in our universe and how it raises more questions.

05-12-2012, 03:17 PM
(05-12-2012 03:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, we see and interpret things differently, I suppose.

As for question 2 - not sure I follow why it doesn't explain anything in our universe and how it raises more questions.
Feel free to name me one thing it explains without raising more questions.

To give you an example, if we ask ourselves the question "Where did the universe come from?" and you answer it with "Well, god did it.", you are simply raising more questions than we had before. Because now we consequently have to ask ourselves "Then where did god come from?", etc. You know the drill.

05-12-2012, 03:20 PM
(05-12-2012 12:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 09:16 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  You didn't see the question in my post? There, I made it more simple for you.

While we're at it, can you pick out the places where your god is NOT "omniscient"? Hint: Old Testament
In reference to hell?

It's eternal pain and torment.

Also, please be specific on when God isn't omniscient.

Hints. You can find one in the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. Another is found in the story surrounding the "10 commandments". You have to read them on a different level, however, than just the way you always heard/read the story. I'll wait to see if you can find them.

So, hell [for you] is eternal pain and torment . . . and for some people, god created them FOR this, and because "for his pleasure, they are created", this god will gain worship and praise for the suffering of billions of beings.

How do you know that this god actually CHOSE you? Can a person "REALLY KNOW they are one of the chosen", yet instead be one of "the damned", regardless of their personal belief?
05-12-2012, 03:25 PM
(05-12-2012 01:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  We sin and sin happens because it was created for a purpose. Sin is inevitable. God assigns that sin because sin is needed to fulfill its purpose.
And what exactly is that purpose? Without the ability to choose to sin or not, then there is no purpose for its existence.

(05-12-2012 01:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No. The election couldn't happen without the sacrifice.
Why not? Why can your god not do it without the sacrifice?

(05-12-2012 01:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't "willingly" do anything. But, the way I try to understand it is this: None of us deserve heaven. I was fortunately chosen. Since I accept, God's sovereignty, I cannot question His choices. I am completely subjugated to His will.

If you don't "willingly" do anything, how could you have made the choice to "accept, God's sovereignty".
The choice was made for you.
The way your god will happily create people just to suffer forever, i wouldn't be so sure you were chosen, if I were you.

(05-12-2012 01:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No. But, you're paralleling an infinite God to a very finite person. That is a false dilemma. Making analogies of any human or human like qualities to God cannot stand.

God or man A monster is still a monster, immortal or not the way it treats people should not be tolerated.