Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
26-03-2013, 02:53 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(26-03-2013 02:43 PM)kim Wrote:  Yea, I'm sure people either suspect you are evangelizing or are planning to form your own weirdo church, not unlike the infamous Veridican. Dodgy

Right now, our avacados are super cheap around here - .50 cents each!! I love them, too and eat at least one a day now. What do you do with the seeds? Seems like such a shame to just toss them into the compost. I've grown them but our weather here will kill them almost instantly. You have great weather down there, have you ever sprouted one and planted it outside? Shy Maybe that's a summer project for C-boy...?
Nope, never tried.

I might have to give it a shot, though.

Hmmm, good idea Kim!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Seems everyone on the google machine has a way to sprout and grow their avacados. Here's a page with great pics. I always get mine at least the size shown on that page and then I transplant outside. However, I also have black walnut trees and they kill nearly everything around them, so gardening is pretty discouraging. I'm sure you'd have better luck with your warmer winters, too. Shy

Really, the fun part is seeing seed split and watching the sprout come out and form leaves. Way cool! Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
26-03-2013, 05:22 PM
(26-03-2013 01:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-03-2013 09:37 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Here's my thoughts on 5 point Calvinism. Is it POSSIBLE that a person "knows without a doubt that they are saved", . . . yet are not "one of the chosen"? Because people can be deceived in their own mind about a great many things, . . . it would seem that the answer would have to be "yes". So, . . . would you choose to "serve a god" who would still cast you into hell regardless of a lifetime of [even] sincere worship?
If you aren't elect, you can't choose God. You can only have faith in God if God gives you that faith.

So, are you saying that anyone who "has faith in god" is "an elect"?

And what about those who had a SINCERE faith in the past. How could they, if not "an elect"?
26-03-2013, 11:26 PM
No no you see, they only thought they had a sincere faith. Since they lost it, it wasn't sincere. Ergo, they were not elect. Are you not-Scottish by any chance ?
27-03-2013, 07:06 AM
I might have SOME Scottish in me, but realistically, . . . no TRUE Scottman.

I find that ideology as entirely absurd. I know how I was, when I was a christian. I absolutely had "faith in god". No different than kingschosen or any other uber christian. I believed it all firmly! Here's the thing. A de-converted is just a person who found out that their sincere "faith" was a result of conditioning. . . as was his "feelings of spirit connection" and/or "talks with god". The human brain is capable of a lot of fooling. I'm not a neuro-biologist so can't give the exacts on it, . . . but I could see "believing in god" the same as our ability to "see patterns in chaos". The "face on mars" is right there in plain sight! It wasn't true.
[+] 5 users Like DeavonReye's post
04-04-2013, 11:04 AM
(27-03-2013 07:06 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  I might have SOME Scottish in me, but realistically, . . . no TRUE Scottman.

I find that ideology as entirely absurd. I know how I was, when I was a christian. I absolutely had "faith in god". No different than kingschosen or any other uber christian. I believed it all firmly! Here's the thing. A de-converted is just a person who found out that their sincere "faith" was a result of conditioning. . . as was his "feelings of spirit connection" and/or "talks with god". The human brain is capable of a lot of fooling. I'm not a neuro-biologist so can't give the exacts on it, . . . but I could see "believing in god" the same as our ability to "see patterns in chaos". The "face on mars" is right there in plain sight! It wasn't true.

Yes, I understand this.

I've mentioned before that I believe that this is an instance where the fallacy is legitimate.

If you based it on the Christian belief and teachings, no one can be removed from God if he is chosen; therefore, anyone who has "fallen away" could not have been a Christian.

This isn't a fallacy if certain "truths" are accepted as a Christian... one truth being that one cannot fall away from God.

Since this "truth" isn't a constant outside of Christianity it would be considered a fallacy.

So, it's only applicable to those that adhere to Christian teachings... thus, No True Scotsman.

Make sense?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Question...You're still doing this?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
04-04-2013, 02:52 PM
(04-04-2013 02:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Question...You're still doing this?

He was supposed to make a 2.0 thread with a summation containing links to subjects addressed here, and leave it open for further questioning.

However, it's Spring and I suspect things have become ... distracting. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Ask a Theist!
(04-04-2013 02:52 PM)kim Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 02:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Question...You're still doing this?

He was supposed to make a 2.0 thread with a summation containing links to subjects addressed here, and leave it open for further questioning.

However, it's Spring and I suspect things have become ... distracting. :coffee:

First of May approaches!
05-04-2013, 12:26 AM
(09-12-2011 03:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  3) The Bible is a valid authority for my beliefs.
Kind of makes the whole exercise pointless, does it not?

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice Is also great
And would suffice. -- Robert Frost
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post