Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
07-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Ask a Theist!
(07-04-2013 07:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 06:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'll address everything tomorrow when I'm not on a tablet.

Why did I first read that as "I'll address everything tomorrow when I'm not on the toilet"? :consider:

Better than I. I read "...when I'm not dropping tabs."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2013, 11:00 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(05-04-2013 02:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Did the authors and editors of the bible believe they were writing truth, or did they believe they were writing stories with "truth" in them that were the stories passed down in their culture?

I think it really depends on the book. Since the Bible is so eclectic, there are some books that are meant to be understood as truth and some as stories with truth.

Quote:Do you think that Saul of Taursus believed Jesus to have actually existed, or was it good enough for him to just be a figure who stories could be told about?

Nothing in Paul's writings suggest that he didn't believe Jesus existed. So yes, I believe he believed in Jesus' existence.

Quote:And (while moral lessons can be laid within fiction), can truth be veiled within untruth?

Absolutely. Parables are an example of this.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
08-04-2013, 11:04 AM
(05-04-2013 06:58 PM)Dirtnapper324 Wrote:  I honestly don't see we don't hold him to the same moral standards he holds us to. In the bible he exhibits the same emotions as we do, anger ,jealousy, remorse, love. If he has the same emotions as we do, and supposedly our morals come from him. Why wouldn't we hold him to the same standards?

Because He isn't human. He also cannot be judged as He is autonomous. Since He is perfect (accepted by Christian beliefs), anything He does is perfect according to Him; as God cannot* contradict Himself.

Quote:As for sin, along the same line of thinking, we have sin because we ate the fruit and knew what he knew, according to genesis. It seems hypocrisy is also something god and humans share.

I don't believe in 1) a literal Genesis and 2) original sin. I believe in God-created sin in order to fulfill a purpose.

*Yes, of course, God can do anything, but I just say "cannot" because He wouldn't do it based on what is written in the Bible and God's characteristics.

08-04-2013, 11:05 AM
(05-04-2013 07:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Christianity is unique in this problem in that good deeds and evil deeds mean nothing for salvation. It is only through the Son that one can reach the Father. So my question is how can a moral God condem all of humanity to fire and brimstone without a chance to even hear the message, with the exception of a very small portion of the total population?

Because God plays favorites and doesn't choose everyone for salvation.

08-04-2013, 11:07 AM
(06-04-2013 07:47 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  I don't think evenheathen's question was addressed. Why are "only a few chosen", if this god claims a "love" for all humans?

He has a love for all humans, but He only chose a few because of the plan that was set up before a "before". His plan has always existed, like God; therefore, sin has to affect people in order for the Christ's purpose to be fulfilled.

Why He set it up like this, I don't know.

08-04-2013, 11:08 AM
(06-04-2013 07:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  If you sin God damns you.
God damns you because you sin.

Sin has to exist so that Christ can save you from God damning you.

God doesn't care how much of a sinner you are, if he chooses to save you, that's it. But he saves you through the agency of Christ who saves you from God damning you.

In all this God is a just and merciful God and being damned is exactly what anyone deserves.

Because merely existing is sufficient reason for you to be condemned to eternal torment.

God loves you. He hates frying you. Weeps as he prepares the charcoal, no doubt.

... KC you still not got a problem with this deity of yours ?

I can't argue His plan. I also can't argue His existence because He bestow my faith to me. That's why I believe.

08-04-2013, 11:09 AM
(06-04-2013 06:35 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Hay. Hi. Been a while. Salutations. Hairy dicks.

KC, really quick, since I do not have the time to look through all of the thousands of posts on your thread so magnificently full of special pleading (I am fucking with you)... I need to ask you about the stance your brand of Calvanism possesses on the idea of an omnibenevolent God, how that God can be so with its dictating the very will of every being, and how it can be justified. I am in a debate with some shmo at school and I need an answer. Thanks in advance.

God is not omnibenevolent. The Bible never states this, and, in fact, it is contrary to what is said/shown in the Bible.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
08-04-2013, 11:16 AM
(07-04-2013 01:01 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  KC:
On being allowed into Heaven and not burning in infernal, eternal torment:
So, if the only way into Heaven is by accepting Jesus as your savior, the assumption is that all others get a one way ticket to Hell. But what about small children who have yet to be indoctrinated? What about others that live their entire life without any exposure to the Bible whatsoever? You have mentioned that you believe in evolution, so you must believe that human species have existed for close to 200,000 years. However, the teachings of Jesus have only been around for 1% of that time, what about everyone that preceded his (alleged) existence?
Do all of these billions of people get a free pass into Heaven or do they totally get shafted on the whole deal and get the undeserved lake of fire damnation torture?

At what point in evolution did the soul first appear? You know it's a slow, gradual process that can take millennia for minor changes, so did neanderthals have souls? Homo erectus? Australopithecus africanus? Ardipithecus adabba?

I have more questions, but I'll stop here for now.

1) I believe infants, babies, and children that die are chosen for salvation... same with the mentally handicapped. I based this belief solely on God's grace and because the Bible said that you will be judged based on your deeds. Since these people have no understanding of deeds or morality aka what is a sin, I believe that there is nothing for them to be judged on; therefore, they are chosen for salvation.

2) Humans that existed before God imparted His image upon us simply lived and died. Much like any other animal. They had no knowledge of good and evil because the image of God let us understand this. They simply died and went into nonexistence.

3) I don't know the exact time when God imparted His image on humanity. I do believe it was before written history.

08-04-2013, 11:17 AM
I disagree. Everything in Paul's writings suggests that the Christ is a spiritual ideal.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2013, 11:18 AM
(07-04-2013 04:40 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  This thread has become so ungainly it could use some metadata tags. KC, if you don't already know of a Calvinist FAQ perhaps you should start one of your own? You must certainly have enough source material in this thread alone.

That is a lot of work.

I think it would be easier just to ask a question and I answer it. I don't mind answering questions again.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post