Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
12-04-2013, 10:10 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(12-04-2013 10:04 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 10:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Nope. I cannot act outside of what God has pre-planned.

I act the way I act and talk the way I talk and eat the way I eat - everything - has been planned by God.

I can't act outside of that plan.

So then you reject the concept of free will?

That is the main tenant of Calvinism...

...but yes... I reject any and all free will.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
12-04-2013, 10:12 AM
(12-04-2013 10:09 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 09:57 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But if God's plan for revelation is the same as that of any fiction writer, how can one distinguish between the two?

What I mean is that anyone could write a series of stories and make books that have the same types of impacts on people, and they are nothing more than straight-up made-up stories. What then could even begin to distinguish those from the bible?

And as for revelation, even this is not unique to religion or the bible. Someone may come to a special revelation about any given story. Scientology is based off of just that.

Yes, I know... and I feel I've beaten this to death.

I understand that other religions are much like Christianity... their holy books and bylaws are the same.

The reason I believe the way I do is based on faith. That's the only way that you can accept the Bible... is through pure faith.

Granted, but I don't even mean other religions. I literally mean any other story of fiction. Harry Potter can provide all the same things as a series. And fan theories on numerous parts of different stories even show people revealing something via a revelation.

I understand you believe the bible on faith, but would me believing Harry Potter on faith, be regarded as a delusion of the mind or perfectly legit?

Would following it make me an idiot? No. And one could certainly take some good lessons away from it. But believing it as literal truth could get you and a lot of other people hurt (thinking a broom could help you fly for instance).

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
12-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Kingschosen, you have answered a lot of questions here. Being honest, does any of it disturb you?

Also, as I am, . . . once a believer, now not, . . . was that a part of god's plan as well? I really DID have faith, . . . when I wasn't aware of realities. But, as I am now, . . . would it ever be possible that I could "be chosen"? Not that I would want to be, mind you. The idea of "worshipping and exhaulting one entity for all eternity" seems like a different type of hell to me, . . . and makes me wonder about the entity that really would want that to begin with.
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
12-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Re: RE: Ask a Theist!
(12-04-2013 10:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because not one person has ever not broken some moral law... intentional or not.
Again: How do you know that?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
12-04-2013, 04:19 PM
'Cos the bible contains moral laws which are self-contradictory. It's a perfect system. You can't beat it unless logic does not apply to you. Hence God... Tongue
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
12-04-2013, 04:39 PM
(12-04-2013 10:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because not one person has ever not broken some moral law... intentional or not.

I beg to differ. I have never broken a moral law in my life. I cannot break something which simply doesn't exist, and neither can you, KC.

The thing I love and hate about morals is that they are malleable and can be shaped to anybodies will or perspective, moral 'laws' would fail to be effective laws due to everybody having different morals which, without fail, will change in accordance with the situation.

(12-04-2013 04:15 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
Again: How do you know that?

He knows because he knows because he knows etc etc etc...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-04-2013, 01:29 PM
[Image: cm-29040-050907f91c91ee.jpeg]

Just to be a jackass Big Grin

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
15-04-2013, 01:33 PM
(15-04-2013 01:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  [Image: cm-29040-050907f91c91ee.jpeg]

Just to be a jackass Big Grin

I've earned my slow, slug-like pace.

Smile

[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
22-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Riddle me this God-man where do you draw your belief in predetermination from in scripture?

[Image: Arkham_Files__The_Riddler_by_Atomic_Chinchilla.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
23-04-2013, 09:44 AM
(12-04-2013 10:12 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Granted, but I don't even mean other religions. I literally mean any other story of fiction. Harry Potter can provide all the same things as a series. And fan theories on numerous parts of different stories even show people revealing something via a revelation.

I understand you believe the bible on faith, but would me believing Harry Potter on faith, be regarded as a delusion of the mind or perfectly legit?

Would following it make me an idiot? No. And one could certainly take some good lessons away from it. But believing it as literal truth could get you and a lot of other people hurt (thinking a broom could help you fly for instance).

Well, it's hard to compare Harry Potter to the Bible... as there are A LOT of differences. One was regarded as truth by a society and has remained that way for thousands of years, and one was marketed and understood as fiction. It never attempted to be truth.

I think a better comparison would be Greek mythology.

I also think it has to do with social acceptance. It is socially acceptable for people to believe the Bible just like it was socially acceptable for Greeks to believe in Zeus.

Other than that... I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.