Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
23-04-2013, 09:45 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(12-04-2013 02:33 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Kingschosen, you have answered a lot of questions here. Being honest, does any of it disturb you?

Also, as I am, . . . once a believer, now not, . . . was that a part of god's plan as well? I really DID have faith, . . . when I wasn't aware of realities. But, as I am now, . . . would it ever be possible that I could "be chosen"? Not that I would want to be, mind you. The idea of "worshipping and exhaulting one entity for all eternity" seems like a different type of hell to me, . . . and makes me wonder about the entity that really would want that to begin with.

It's always possible that you are "chosen". But, you are either chosen or not.

Being as you don't believe, my conclusion is that you aren't. But, I can never say that for sure because anyone can have a regeneration at any time in their life.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2013, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2013 10:32 AM by kim.)
It is literally impossible to not commit something that is deemed a "sin" in the Bible in the course of a human life (except Jesus, of course).

23-04-2013, 09:50 AM
(12-04-2013 04:39 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I beg to differ. I have never broken a moral law in my life. I cannot break something which simply doesn't exist, and neither can you, KC.

The thing I love and hate about morals is that they are malleable and can be shaped to anybodies will or perspective, moral 'laws' would fail to be effective laws due to everybody having different morals which, without fail, will change in accordance with the situation.

The Bible set up a moral standard for all... and like I said above... everyone has broken at least one of those in their lifetime.

Yes, morals are malleable, but God set up a standard so that the line of sin would be rigid.

23-04-2013, 09:52 AM
(22-04-2013 09:07 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Riddle me this God-man where do you draw your belief in predetermination from in scripture?

Romans 8
Romans 9
2 Thess 2
Eph 1
Gospel of John
Teachings of Jesus
The entire OT

23-04-2013, 10:07 AM
(23-04-2013 09:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 10:12 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Granted, but I don't even mean other religions. I literally mean any other story of fiction. Harry Potter can provide all the same things as a series. And fan theories on numerous parts of different stories even show people revealing something via a revelation.

I understand you believe the bible on faith, but would me believing Harry Potter on faith, be regarded as a delusion of the mind or perfectly legit?

Would following it make me an idiot? No. And one could certainly take some good lessons away from it. But believing it as literal truth could get you and a lot of other people hurt (thinking a broom could help you fly for instance).

Well, it's hard to compare Harry Potter to the Bible... as there are A LOT of differences. One was regarded as truth by a society and has remained that way for thousands of years, and one was marketed and understood as fiction. It never attempted to be truth.

I think a better comparison would be Greek mythology.

I also think it has to do with social acceptance. It is socially acceptable for people to believe the Bible just like it was socially acceptable for Greeks to believe in Zeus.

Other than that... I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Things like Cargo Cults. If a group of people who were unaware of the origins of the stories of Harry Potter were stumbled upon, they would not be able to differentiate its story from that of the bible. If they revered it as truth, what validity does that lend them?

The fact that people during the times of the writings of the biblical authors believed them as true, has no bearing on the validity of that claim. Agree?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-04-2013, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2013 10:35 AM by kim.)
What the hell is going on here? Dodgy

Oops
I think I fucked up and ... edited Kingsy's reply instead of replying to it. Sorry. Blush Won't happen again.

Didn't know it happened in the first place. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-04-2013, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2013 10:44 AM by kim.)
(12-04-2013 10:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It is literally impossible to not commit something that is deemed a "sin" in the Bible in the course of a human life (except Jesus, of course).

And yet, Hebrew-Jebrew insists on his own baptism pretty much stating we gotta go through the motions on this. Bit of a bush beater, really. If you're god, you're god - just own up to it.... unless Consider of course.... you're not, even though you are but not. You know what I mean. Wink

The guys down in marketing say we gotta make it look good.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Ask a Theist!
(23-04-2013 09:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It is literally impossible to not commit something that is deemed a "sin" in the Bible in the course of a human life (except Jesus, of course).

How many sins are listed thence? Please define "the course of a human life." An infant who dies at 1 month of age has completed their "human life" have they not? Of what sin would they be guilty?
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
23-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Selfishness. Smile
23-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Kingschosen, you forgot to answer the question, "does any of it bother you"? What about "people being created solely for destruction"? What's the purpose of everyone being sinful, but only a few "being chosen" . . . and the vaste majority NOT being?