Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
22-05-2013, 05:31 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Calvinism is absurd. Predestination is philosophically incoherent and ethically repugnant.
God makes some souls to reward with eternal bliss and the rest to torture for eternity. Just for the fuck of it.
It is moral cowardice to believe in this. "Oh, this is God's plan - not my doing."

How can you possibly justify this belief? The Bible is demonstrably made-up myth, any Biblical justification is just more moral and intellectual spinelessness.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-05-2013, 07:04 PM
(22-05-2013 05:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  Calvinism is absurd. Predestination is philosophically incoherent and ethically repugnant.
God makes some souls to reward with eternal bliss and the rest to torture for eternity. Just for the fuck of it.
It is moral cowardice to believe in this. "Oh, this is God's plan - not my doing."

How can you possibly justify this belief? The Bible is demonstrably made-up myth, any Biblical justification is just more moral and intellectual spinelessness.

Keeps him clean and sober. That's worth something. ... I wouldn't say it's something worth promoting though. Tongue

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
23-05-2013, 06:58 AM
(22-05-2013 05:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  Calvinism is absurd. Predestination is philosophically incoherent and ethically repugnant.

It's even more repulsive than this, Chas. This "god" does it . . . FOR 'his' pleasure! He will require the praises of those "chosen" . . . . having them give him praise for this "plan" and for all it included. . . . such as "souls destined for hell, just because this 'god' wanted it that way".

If there is a TRUE evil in the world, it would be this monster [depicted here]. Fortunately, this entity doesn't exist. So, that begs the question, . . . why WOULD someone want this entity to exist, AND be fine with it???
23-05-2013, 07:19 AM
(23-05-2013 06:58 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  

It's even more repulsive than this, Chas. This "god" does it . . . FOR 'his' pleasure! He will require the praises of those "chosen" . . . . having them give him praise for this "plan" and for all it included. . . . such as "souls destined for hell, just because this 'god' wanted it that way".

If there is a TRUE evil in the world, it would be this monster [depicted here]. Fortunately, this entity doesn't exist. So, that begs the question, . . . why WOULD someone want this entity to exist, AND be fine with it???

Could it be because these are the people who believe THEY are the CHOSEN?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-05-2013, 07:41 AM
(22-05-2013 07:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Keeps him clean and sober. That's worth something. ... I wouldn't say it's something worth promoting though. Tongue

I've been clean and sober for nearly 25 years as an atheist. Fuck Calvinism. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-05-2013, 07:44 AM
(23-05-2013 07:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-05-2013 07:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Keeps him clean and sober. That's worth something. ... I wouldn't say it's something worth promoting though. Tongue

I've been clean and sober for nearly 25 years as an atheist. Fuck Calvinism. Angry

I have a hard time imagining you either clear or sober.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Free Thought, but the "sacrifice of Christ is part of God's plan" sort of sidesteps the question. Christianity is rather clear that the sacrifice of Christ answers for the sin of Adam, so the two are inextricably bound, conceptually and Biblically. It is internally inconsistent to say "there was no original sin" and "the sacrifice was part of God's plan," because according to the Bible, original sin (or whatever you want to call it, Adam's sin) is what made the sacrifice of Christ a necessary part of the plan.

I recognize that my question is bound for a stalemate, but I'm interested in the response nonetheless. So again, thank you.
23-05-2013, 08:47 AM
You'd have to get KC to respond to that.

All I know is he thinks there was no original sin, and that Jewsus had to be killed to fulfil his deities grand plan.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-05-2013, 08:50 AM

(23-05-2013 07:19 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-05-2013 06:58 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  It's even more repulsive than this, Chas. This "god" does it . . . FOR 'his' pleasure! He will require the praises of those "chosen" . . . . having them give him praise for this "plan" and for all it included. . . . such as "souls destined for hell, just because this 'god' wanted it that way".

Could it be because these are the people who believe THEY are the CHOSEN?

Yes. It is the height of selfishness and NO care for others. Just as long as they get their fancy eternal life, . . . to hell [literally] with those purposefully made for damnation. For anyone to be okay with that makes them as much of a monster as the "god" they serve.
23-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Where is KC????

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces