Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
23-12-2013, 10:04 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(23-12-2013 09:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 09:47 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  You're a good hearted person with a strong mind and I'm glad to've met you! Sounds like we've both learned a lot from interactions here.

I remember being shunned, silently, out of my church. Not a warm feeling. Disillusionment is never a comfortable process.

While I have your ear, here's another profound question for you:

Which sausage do you put in your gumbo?

That's not even a question. There can be only 1 kind of sausage in Gumbo. Andouille

OK good, just making sure I had it right.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2013, 10:54 AM
(22-12-2013 11:34 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Are you now, or have you ever been, the King or Queen of Cheese? Consider

Erm.

(23-12-2013 09:10 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  And this is why it's awesome having you here.

As for the actual question: I haven't read through all 246 pages of this thread, nor do I plan to, so I apologize if this is a a repeat question. Do you believe in the flood story in Genesis? I'm guessing you don't (at least not entirely) based on your views of evolution, but do you believe it is in some way true (local flood, scare story, etc)?

Thanks, Robby. I appreciate that.

As for the flood, I don't believe in the literal interpretation of the Biblical flood story. I think it's an inspired story usual real people (Hebrew ancestors) to convey a message to the people. Much like a parable. In ANE culture, history and story-telling meshed and became one. It was their history that Noah was a part of the flood because it was part of their story... even if the real Noah wasn't involved in a world-wide flood.

All ANE cultures follow this pattern of history+fantasy=reality in their social system. It's really a matter of understanding the culture of that time.

As for if I believe if a flood happened or not... yes, I do. Something epic happened. Some massive flood happened at some time in the ANE area. I can conclude this because almost every single ANE culture has a flood story, and as I stated earlier, they took history and embellished it to create a story.

I don't think it was a world-wide flood. I believe it was local. And, I believe it was devastating... but not hardly the caliber of storm as seen in the Bible or Giglamesh.

It was probably something along the lines of Katrina, and over time, it just kept getting bigger and bigger.

(23-12-2013 09:47 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  You're a good hearted person with a strong mind and I'm glad to've met you! Sounds like we've both learned a lot from interactions here.

I remember being shunned, silently, out of my church. Not a warm feeling. Disillusionment is never a comfortable process.

While I have your ear, here's another profound question for you:

Which sausage do you put in your gumbo?

(23-12-2013 09:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That's not even a question. There can be only 1 kind of sausage in Gumbo. Andouille

This.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
23-12-2013, 11:12 AM
If I asked you to imagine KC that god does not exist, holding that thought in your head and looking at your day to day life from now until the future, what would be different? What would change?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
23-12-2013, 01:23 PM
(23-12-2013 11:12 AM)bemore Wrote:  If I asked you to imagine KC that god does not exist, holding that thought in your head and looking at your day to day life from now until the future, what would be different? What would change?

Hmmm. All right, but in order to answer that question, we're going to have to go under the assumption that I'm imagining my world without God and without the predestination that I believe.

I mean, without those qualifiers the question is moot because I wouldn't believe that God predestined anything, so my life wouldn't be any different.

If under the paradoxical scenario that God didn't exist but predestined my life but because He didn't exist then my predestined life didn't go as planned, then it would be this:

Under that scenario, I do believe I would be a complete mess of a person. Probably dead from an OD or something. I definitely would be married and I definitely wouldn't have kids. I would have still been in my parent's house barely working or having any type of ambition.

23-12-2013, 01:23 PM
(23-12-2013 10:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  As for the flood, I don't believe in the literal interpretation of the Biblical flood story. I think it's an inspired story usual real people (Hebrew ancestors) to convey a message to the people. Much like a parable. In ANE culture, history and story-telling meshed and became one...

What does ANE stand for? Google and Wikipedia are failing me.

I'm thinking Ancient Nomadic ____, but I don't know.
23-12-2013, 01:26 PM
(23-12-2013 01:23 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 10:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  As for the flood, I don't believe in the literal interpretation of the Biblical flood story. I think it's an inspired story usual real people (Hebrew ancestors) to convey a message to the people. Much like a parable. In ANE culture, history and story-telling meshed and became one...

What does ANE stand for? Google and Wikipedia are failing me.

I'm thinking Ancient Nomadic ____, but I don't know.

My bad, dude.

My acronyms get out of hand sometime.

Ancient Near East

23-12-2013, 01:31 PM
(23-12-2013 01:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 11:12 AM)bemore Wrote:  If I asked you to imagine KC that god does not exist, holding that thought in your head and looking at your day to day life from now until the future, what would be different? What would change?

Hmmm. All right, but in order to answer that question, we're going to have to go under the assumption that I'm imagining my world without God and without the predestination that I believe.

I mean, without those qualifiers the question is moot because I wouldn't believe that God predestined anything, so my life wouldn't be any different.

If under the paradoxical scenario that God didn't exist but predestined my life but because He didn't exist then my predestined life didn't go as planned, then it would be this:

Under that scenario, I do believe I would be a complete mess of a person. Probably dead from an OD or something. I definitely would be married and I definitely wouldn't have kids. I would have still been in my parent's house barely working or having any type of ambition.

That is, of course, possible - maybe even likely. But it is not a certainty.

There are other paths out of self-destruction.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2013, 04:10 PM
(23-12-2013 01:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

I am sure there are people under those circumstances right now who hold just as much belief in god. What about those people?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
23-12-2013, 06:19 PM
(22-12-2013 10:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...Strange, though. In spite of all of this, my faith remains. Solid. True.

Solid and true.
WOW!
I wonder if a Christian could get away with saying that in a forum full of atheists.
24-12-2013, 01:30 AM
(23-12-2013 06:19 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 10:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...Strange, though. In spite of all of this, my faith remains. Solid. True.

Solid and true.
WOW!
I wonder if a Christian could get away with saying that in a forum full of atheists.

Feel that Christian lovin' Big Grin Doin' the work of Jesus, hatin' on everyone who don't think like you. I remember you from before, you're a dick. Seems like nothing's changed.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post