Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
24-12-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
It's a club, motherfuckers - and you ain't in it.

That's my favorite summary of this thread. It's my summary.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
24-12-2013, 07:41 PM
(09-12-2011 03:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  3) The Bible is a valid authority for my beliefs.

No. No its not. You can pretend it is for the sake of the 'rules' of this thread, but in reality the bible is not a valid authority for your beliefs, or anything else for that matter. I know you will just mentally dismiss this obvious fact that you already knew and not respond to me like you already said you would, but simply telling everybody else to pretend like you do that some random work of fiction is a valid authority for what you believe is absolute self-reassurance comfort-blanket bullshit.

No, I'm not going to play along with your 'rules' which you think can change the truth of actual reality and I don't want you to respond to me; just carry on in denial with your beliefs that are so weakly supported in reality that the best support for your beliefs you can find are works of fiction. The only reason you believe anything the bible tells you is because the bible tells you what it says is true. How fucking narrow, weak-minded and childishly gullible and naive could you possibly get? The fact that millions of people just accept this shit and act like its normal everyday disappoints me. Fucking ridiculous. Drinking Beverage

Oh, and as of the time of this post: Merry Christmas. Thumbsup

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
[+] 1 user Likes MrAttacus's post
24-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Uh, uh, uh, I got one! Did you ever tell your kids that Santa is real?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
26-12-2013, 11:25 AM
(24-12-2013 10:34 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  As well as other paths of salvation. Who is to say whether Christianity was necessary to your preservation? If your epiphany can be said to have been your own action, perhaps any belief could have sufficed? Even a belief in your own abilities?

I've never denied that possibility. Anything is possible. It could have been me by myself or it could have been some other god I don't know about. I don't know all or pretend to.

My personal experiences led me to my personal beliefs, and my faith in those beliefs help solidify them.

I'm always open to new truths, though... should they present them themselves in an overwhelming way like my conversion did.

(24-12-2013 10:34 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  So then, what's the rest of His creation for? Seems awfully wasteful and inefficient on the surface. Why make non-elect in the first place? And, if you have an opinion on that, where did it come from?

I have no idea why God did it like this. He has a reason for it, and that's His plan. He knows all, so I'm I can't "know" why He set it up a certain way.

(24-12-2013 10:40 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  In that case, Favourites, as you said earlier should not actually be.

So what your saying is that the humans who are chosen, add little words like favourites and therefore are applying the quality of prejudice to the calvanist god that they actually don't consider to be prejudiced.

Oxford:
Prejudice:
noun
[mass noun]
1. preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience

So there is the problem. What you feel to be the definition of prejudice that keeps distance from the calvanist god is actually the reverse - bringing the calvanist god closer to the definition of prejudice than you think.

I'm not going to argue semantics here. God is prejudiced to His elect. I have no qualms about saying that.

(24-12-2013 12:33 PM)bemore Wrote:  I just don't get how you can say that you picture a life without god to look very very bleak, yet there are people who live bleak life's like the one you described that also believe in god.

I just cant put the "why them and not me" down to faith and a predestined plan that I will never ever see.

God isn't omnibenevolent. I'm also willing to bet that those that have bleak lives that believe in God would say that their life would be worse without God.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
26-12-2013, 11:33 AM
(24-12-2013 07:41 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  No. No its not.

Yes, yes it is. My beliefs are established in the Bible and are based on the Bible. With that, it's an authority to my beliefs. You can't use the Koran, the Apocrypha, or Harry Potter to try and argue my beliefs within the realm of what I believe.

Quote:You can pretend it is for the sake of the 'rules' of this thread, but in reality the bible is not a valid authority for your beliefs, or anything else for that matter.

See above. It is a valid authority for Christians. It's not a valid authority form anyone else.

Quote:I know you will just mentally dismiss this obvious fact that you already knew and not respond to me like you already said you would, but simply telling everybody else to pretend like you do that some random work of fiction is a valid authority for what you believe is absolute self-reassurance comfort-blanket bullshit.

You know what they say about assuming.

Quote:No, I'm not going to play along with your 'rules' which you think can change the truth of actual reality and I don't want you to respond to me;

You're quite presumptuous, aren't you? And, you don't have to abide by the rules, just like I don't have to respond to you... but I am.

Quote:just carry on in denial with your beliefs that are so weakly supported in reality that the best support for your beliefs you can find are works of fiction.

No. It's actually events that happened in my life.

Quote:The only reason you believe anything the bible tells you is because the bible tells you what it says is true. How fucking narrow, weak-minded and childishly gullible and naive could you possibly get?

I think you'll find I'm quite the opposite of what you described.

Quote:The fact that millions of people just accept this shit and act like its normal everyday disappoints me. Fucking ridiculous. Drinking Beverage

And I'm sure, this affects each and every one of those people. Drinking Beverage

Quote:Oh, and as of the time of this post: Merry Christmas. Thumbsup

Same to you. Get anything good? I got a new laptop. Desperately needed one because I only had an Android tablet to post with. Digital keyboards drive me up a wall.

26-12-2013, 11:34 AM
(24-12-2013 09:05 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Uh, uh, uh, I got one! Did you ever tell your kids that Santa is real?

Yeah, we're doing the whole Santa thing right now.

My son is old enough to understand it. My wife and I both had a lot of fun with the Santa thing when we were kids, so we want to pass that fun along.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-12-2013, 11:42 AM
(24-12-2013 09:05 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Uh, uh, uh, I got one! Did you ever tell your kids that Santa is real?

Kingsy's kiddies are still under 5 but... good question Kingsy... when and what and how will you tell the kids about a "fictional" belief as opposed to your other "belief"?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-12-2013, 11:50 AM
(26-12-2013 11:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Yeah, we're doing the whole Santa thing right now.

My son is old enough to understand it. My wife and I both had a lot of fun with the Santa thing when we were kids, so we want to pass that fun along.

I happen to think it's vital to encourage make-believe and vivid imagination in children - santa helps with that.

*grin*
In fact, giving children a view of reality AND imagination is key to successful adults. But that's just my theory.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
26-12-2013, 11:50 AM
(26-12-2013 11:42 AM)kim Wrote:  

Kingsy's kiddies are still under 5 but... good question Kingsy... when and what and how will you tell the kids about a "fictional" belief as opposed to your other "belief"?

It'll just be presented as "Santa was just something fun" and "God is truth to us (Jess and me)".

I'm not going to expend too much energy trying to explain theology and why God is real and why Santa isn't to my kids. They are just too young. This will probably be a conversation that we have when they are much older. Plus, I have no control whether or not they believe. That's not up to me, unfortunately.

26-12-2013, 11:53 AM
(26-12-2013 11:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 11:42 AM)kim Wrote:  Kingsy's kiddies are still under 5 but... good question Kingsy... when and what and how will you tell the kids about a "fictional" belief as opposed to your other "belief"?

It'll just be presented as "Santa was just something fun" and "God is truth to us (Jess and me)".

I'm not going to expend too much energy trying to explain theology and why God is real and why Santa isn't to my kids. They are just too young. This will probably be a conversation that we have when they are much older. Plus, I have no control whether or not they believe. That's not up to me, unfortunately.

Because of Calvinism or because you think your kids are allowed to grow into their own beliefs?

wait

totally dumb question
Blink

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.