Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
26-12-2013, 11:55 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(26-12-2013 11:53 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 11:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It'll just be presented as "Santa was just something fun" and "God is truth to us (Jess and me)".

I'm not going to expend too much energy trying to explain theology and why God is real and why Santa isn't to my kids. They are just too young. This will probably be a conversation that we have when they are much older. Plus, I have no control whether or not they believe. That's not up to me, unfortunately.

Because of Calvinism or because you think your kids are allowed to grow into their own beliefs?

wait

totally dumb question
Blink

lol. Yes, that's a contradictory question Tongue

But to answer, yes, because of God's predestination.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-12-2013, 12:00 PM
(26-12-2013 11:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 09:05 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Uh, uh, uh, I got one! Did you ever tell your kids that Santa is real?

Yeah, we're doing the whole Santa thing right now.

My son is old enough to understand it. My wife and I both had a lot of fun with the Santa thing when we were kids, so we want to pass that fun along.

We did the same with our daughters when they were about this age. Good times. I like to think they look back on these times fondly. Afraid to ask though.

Our son, on the other hand, wasn't so simple. Aspberger's changes the game. We learned how to deal with it though.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 3 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
26-12-2013, 01:03 PM
(26-12-2013 12:00 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 11:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, we're doing the whole Santa thing right now.

My son is old enough to understand it. My wife and I both had a lot of fun with the Santa thing when we were kids, so we want to pass that fun along.

We did the same with our daughters when they were about this age. Good times. I like to think they look back on these times fondly. Afraid to ask though.

Our son, on the other hand, wasn't so simple. Aspberger's changes the game. We learned how to deal with it though.

I have so much respect for parents like you. I know dealing with Aspberger's is no walk in the park.

When/how did you notice it?

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-12-2013, 05:00 PM
(24-12-2013 09:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 09:30 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Well here's one: do you believe your god to be prejudiced?

Depends on how you define His choice. I don't think He bases choices of skin color, nationality, sex, or sexual orientation, but I do think He has His favorites... which is WHAT election is.

Which is why I would rather go to Hell than worship him. If he isn't decent enough to give us all a fair shot, then fuck him.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 4 users Like Atothetheist's post
26-12-2013, 05:17 PM
(26-12-2013 11:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 11:42 AM)kim Wrote:  Kingsy's kiddies are still under 5 but... good question Kingsy... when and what and how will you tell the kids about a "fictional" belief as opposed to your other "belief"?

It'll just be presented as "God was just something fun" and "Santa is truth to us (Jess and me)".

I'm not going to expend too much energy trying to explain theology and why Santa is real and why God isn't to my kids. They are just too young. This will probably be a conversation that we have when they are much older. Plus, I have no control whether or not they believe. That's not up to me, unfortunately.
Fixed. Laughat

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
26-12-2013, 06:20 PM
(26-12-2013 11:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 10:40 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  In that case, Favourites, as you said earlier should not actually be.

So what your saying is that the humans who are chosen, add little words like favourites and therefore are applying the quality of prejudice to the calvanist god that they actually don't consider to be prejudiced.

Oxford:
Prejudice:
noun
[mass noun]
1. preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience

So there is the problem. What you feel to be the definition of prejudice that keeps distance from the calvanist god is actually the reverse - bringing the calvanist god closer to the definition of prejudice than you think.

I'm not going to argue semantics here. God is prejudiced to His elect. I have no qualms about saying that.

I'm not arguing semantics, KC. I was providing you the definition of prejudice. You wanted to know what I meant of it, so I provided you the definition. If you don't like the definition, that's not my fault, but please do not assume I'm here to argue with you. I wanted to know your views on your god.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
27-12-2013, 11:12 AM
(26-12-2013 01:03 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 12:00 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  We did the same with our daughters when they were about this age. Good times. I like to think they look back on these times fondly. Afraid to ask though.

I have so much respect for parents like you. I know dealing with Aspberger's is no walk in the park.

Thanks, man. Appreciate that.

I think we started to notice around age 4-5. My wife noticed it well before I did. To me, in my mind it was simply "Well, he's my son. He's going to be ... different." Looking back, we think I was also an Aspberger's child, or something similar. She did the research and took him to doctors which led to the official diagnosis.

He's 13 now and getting much better. He's taking Zoloft which definitely has reduced his anxiety levels.

27-12-2013, 02:47 PM
(27-12-2013 11:12 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 01:03 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I have so much respect for parents like you. I know dealing with Aspberger's is no walk in the park.

Thanks, man. Appreciate that.

I think we started to notice around age 4-5. My wife noticed it well before I did. To me, in my mind it was simply "Well, he's my son. He's going to be ... different." Looking back, we think I was also an Aspberger's child, or something similar. She did the research and took him to doctors which led to the official diagnosis.

He's 13 now and getting much better. He's taking Zoloft which definitely has reduced his anxiety levels.

What were the early signs. What did your wife notice?

28-12-2013, 03:38 AM
Ask a Theist!
(27-12-2013 02:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 11:12 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Thanks, man. Appreciate that.

What were the early signs. What did your wife notice?

His social interactions were unexpected and out if the ordinary. He had trouble with picking up on social cues, especially sarcasm (particularly troublesome in our household). There were some things that didn't quite fit the diagnosis though. For example, he still had a good sense of humor. He would watch things on TV, like Spongebob, and laugh like crazy. But the. One of his sisters would try to trick him with some wild accusation and he'd freak out, take them way too seriously.

It was a new experience for all of us at first. Then, as my wife would point out all the symptoms that fit the condition, I began to notice things I remember doing at that age.

Also he had difficulty making friends at school, as well as pay attention. He also exhibited the characteristic physical clumsiness quite early.

30-12-2013, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 07:10 AM by anonymous66.)
I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if you've dealt with any of this before.

I'm a former Christian, and I enjoy debating and discussing God's existence.

I'm trying to understand 2 common responses.

Why is it so common for theists to say "you can't prove God doesn't exist"? I usually respond by pointing out we can't prove with 100% certainty that any mythological creatures don't exist. I heard someone recently say that another response is to just accuse the theist of being a thief.. when they cry foul and ask for evidence, then they might start to understand why evidence is necessary. But, really, does claiming that you can't prove God doesn't exist really help your case any? If a salesman made unrealistic claims about some product they were selling, and you started asking questions, would you be any more likely to accept their claims if they said "you can't prove the claims I made aren't true"?

Another response is for theists to claim that atheists "just want to sin". I don't happen to accept this claim, and it definitely doesn't apply in my case, but, looking at this objectively, even if it were true, how does that help provide evidence for God's existence? It appears to be just a rude, petty response because some theists are offended that anyone would dare to question God's existence. Are there theists that can discuss God's existence without resorting to insults?

Are there theists who can discuss God's existence without resorting to either of these responses?