Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
02-01-2014, 02:15 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(02-01-2014 11:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 09:37 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I have a question for any of the theists on here. It comes from my position as an ex Mormon. When I was in the church, they were very definite about their 1 version of Christianity being the right one and to receive full reward in the next life you had to be all singing all dancing LDS. One of my best friends was raised Catholic and another one JW and I know it applies to their denominations too.

So, does your particular branch, denomination or church specify that only they have it right and none members are not going to be rewarded in the next life? If so/not so, do you personally agree/disagree with this?

When I was a practicing mormon I was pretty much agnostic theist, this question is one of the main reasons I became agnostic atheist, so I'm fascinated to know what you guys think?

Pretty much the only prerequisite for salvation that we are taught in Protestant circles is that one must accept that Christ is the only way for salvation. This is why, for the most part, Protestants can weave in and out of Protestant denominations with little backlash.

Cool. They sound like our CofE Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 02:18 PM
(02-01-2014 01:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 12:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, I'm a pretty atypical theist.

Well, no - no you're not. Most theists have not actually thought about their theology and its implications. Most of them seem to have a rather shallow understanding of what it is they are subscribing to and an appalling ignorance of whatever holy book they are supposedly being guided by.

No, most theists follow a local cultural variant of their religion, led by charlatans, mountebanks, or sincere, well-meaning fools.

...wait... I'm confused.

Doesn't this mean that I'm atypical since I do all the things that others don't?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
02-01-2014, 03:06 PM
(02-01-2014 02:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 01:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, no - no you're not. Most theists have not actually thought about their theology and its implications. Most of them seem to have a rather shallow understanding of what it is they are subscribing to and an appalling ignorance of whatever holy book they are supposedly being guided by.

No, most theists follow a local cultural variant of their religion, led by charlatans, mountebanks, or sincere, well-meaning fools.

...wait... I'm confused.

Doesn't this mean that I'm atypical since I do all the things that others don't?

My bad. I read it as 'typical'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2014, 05:10 PM
(02-01-2014 12:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 12:34 PM)crazylikeyou Wrote:  Seems like a crummy plan to me

typical theist: "But God's ways are higher than our ways"

I know, I know...Dodgy

Well, I'm a pretty atypical theist. I don't believe that God's way are higher than ours based on our relative morality because sometimes the things God does seems downright immoral to us.

I'm just saying that God is autonomous and has a plan of His own. We are simply part of that plan; therefore, things happen - good and bad. God doesn't answer to our relative morality because He's only bound by His standard of morality... whatever that is (we can't know that because it's only His).

"His standard of morality"

...doesn't that lead us into divine command theory?
One thing I noticed when I was a Christian (and this is just me reminiscing here), I could justify anything based on gods will, his morality etc...

For instance, I could even justify that all the animals could live together on Noah's ark because god temporarily made the animals have no desire to harm one another. For 40 days he made it to where they did not eat or poop. And then I realized when does it end!?

"His ways are higher than ours" used to make complete sense to me.
Only when I began to trust that no "God" would make use constantly defy our logic did I slowly start disbelieving that argument.

Just my take on your arguement--to each his/her own Smile
03-01-2014, 07:24 AM
Popping by thread to see how KC's holding up.......Thumbsup

[Image: darkside.png]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
03-01-2014, 09:11 AM
What are your thoughts on sources saying that the concept of hell has been misinterpreted from (mainly) the word "sheol" and do not reflect the original author's intention as merely a grave or pit?

http://www.mercifultruth.com/the-real-hell.html
03-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Ask a Theist!
(02-01-2014 10:38 AM)crazylikeyou Wrote:  I've browesed the last 10 or so pages; hopefully this isn't too simplistic, but I've thought this way even when I was a Christian.

As a Calvinist, can't you picture God up there essentially playing doll house? I feel like that's what he is doing...

Like a little girl playing barbie....
Sending people to hell...
Certain ones going to heaven....

It just seems childish.

One problem with this comparison: dolls don't feel anything.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
03-01-2014, 09:47 AM
(02-01-2014 05:10 PM)crazylikeyou Wrote:  "His standard of morality"

...doesn't that lead us into divine command theory?
One thing I noticed when I was a Christian (and this is just me reminiscing here), I could justify anything based on gods will, his morality etc...

For instance, I could even justify that all the animals could live together on Noah's ark because god temporarily made the animals have no desire to harm one another. For 40 days he made it to where they did not eat or poop. And then I realized when does it end!?

"His ways are higher than ours" used to make complete sense to me.
Only when I began to trust that no "God" would make use constantly defy our logic did I slowly start disbelieving that argument.

Just my take on your arguement--to each his/her own Smile

No, I get what you're saying.

I'm just taking a logical step in regards to His morality. It would make sense that an omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent being wouldn't have a standard of morality much less humans' standard of morality.

03-01-2014, 09:47 AM
(03-01-2014 07:24 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Popping by thread to see how KC's holding up.......Thumbsup

[Image: darkside.png]

Smile thanks.

And, I'm good. Same ole KC.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
03-01-2014, 09:49 AM
(03-01-2014 09:11 AM)jaxx Wrote:  What are your thoughts on sources saying that the concept of hell has been misinterpreted from (mainly) the word "sheol" and do not reflect the original author's intention as merely a grave or pit?

http://www.mercifultruth.com/the-real-hell.html

I would agree with you. There was no concept of the now understood "hell" in the Old Testament. The new concept of hell didn't come about until the New Testament and after Christ's sacrifice.