Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
03-01-2014, 10:27 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Do you agree that it is also a mistranslation or stretch of translation in the NT along with the translation of eternity from the word aeon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 10:30 AM
(03-01-2014 10:27 AM)jaxx Wrote:  Do you agree that it is also a mistranslation or stretch of translation in the NT along with the translation of eternity from the word aeon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeon

I don't know.

That's not something I've researched.

I'll look into it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-01-2014, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 01:07 PM by anonymous66.)
Do you acknowledge that there have been changes in the Bible texts over the years? I take it you're not a fundamentalist, so how do you view the Bible?
03-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Duplicate post.
03-01-2014, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 02:01 PM by viole.)
(02-01-2014 11:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Pretty much the only prerequisite for salvation that we are taught in Protestant circles is that one must accept that Christ is the only way for salvation. This is why, for the most part, Protestants can weave in and out of Protestant denominations with little backlash.

Kingchosen,

That acceptance of Christ cannot be the only prerequisite for salvation seems obvious, at least prima facie. Take an Australian or American native that lived and died before the visit of any Christian missionary. How were they supposed to accept Christ and His "sacrifice" if they never heard of Him?

And what about all the miscarriages, abortions or children that died too young to even understand what Christ or salvation mean? Are they all unsaved?

Of course, you can invoke predestination (albeit with some serious moral consequences), but that would not explain the easy exchange of Protestant denomination. For instance, the exchange from a denomination that accepts predestination into one which does not.

What do you think?

Ciao

- viole
03-01-2014, 03:07 PM
(03-01-2014 12:40 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Do you acknowledge that there have been changes in the Bible texts over the years? I take it you're not a fundamentalist, so how do you view the Bible?

Yes. There is no perfect modern translation. The best way to read the Bible is to use the oldest source and from the original languages.

When scripture is translated, there is a lot that is changed and lost in translation.

03-01-2014, 03:10 PM
(03-01-2014 01:45 PM)viole Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 11:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Pretty much the only prerequisite for salvation that we are taught in Protestant circles is that one must accept that Christ is the only way for salvation. This is why, for the most part, Protestants can weave in and out of Protestant denominations with little backlash.

Kingchosen,

That acceptance of Christ cannot be the only prerequisite for salvation seems obvious, at least prima facie. Take an Australian or American native that lived and died before the visit of any Christian missionary. How were they supposed to accept Christ and His "sacrifice" if they never heard of Him?

And what about all the miscarriages, abortions or children that died too young to even understand what Christ or salvation mean? Are they all unsaved?

Of course, you can invoke predestination (albeit with some serious moral consequences), but that would not explain the easy exchange of Protestant denomination. For instance, the exchange from a denomination that accepts predestination into one which does not.

What do you think?

Ciao

- viole

Oh I agree with everything you're saying. I'm just relaying what the majority of Protestants believe.

I believe God will reveal Himself to the elect regardless if anyone ever tells them about Jesus or not.

It's an acknowledgment to themselves that something has changed them... much like my experience. I know something changed me, but I didn't know what it was.

03-01-2014, 05:31 PM
(03-01-2014 09:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 09:11 AM)jaxx Wrote:  What are your thoughts on sources saying that the concept of hell has been misinterpreted from (mainly) the word "sheol" and do not reflect the original author's intention as merely a grave or pit?

http://www.mercifultruth.com/the-real-hell.html

I would agree with you. There was no concept of the now understood "hell" in the Old Testament. The new concept of hell didn't come about until the New Testament and after Christ's sacrifice.

So basically, Jewsus committed suicide by police, and in doing so, fucked everything up by causing a place of unwarranted, merciless torture to be created by a prissy deity just to show that it is indeed the most evil thing in all possible existence for making that add-on. Almost like an extraspacial EA.

So basically, the most reasonable reaction to anybody regarding Jewsus should be the following:

[Image: 220px-StJohnsAshfield_StainedGlass_GoodS...e_crop.jpg]
[Image: 07a86b72c65b2686b5929848325758c589bbf281...757bef.jpg]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
07-01-2014, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 11:17 PM by viole.)
(03-01-2014 03:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 01:45 PM)viole Wrote:  Kingchosen,

What do you think?

Ciao

- viole

Oh I agree with everything you're saying. I'm just relaying what the majority of Protestants believe.

I believe God will reveal Himself to the elect regardless if anyone ever tells them about Jesus or not.

It's an acknowledgment to themselves that something has changed them... much like my experience. I know something changed me, but I didn't know what it was.

And how do you/they know now what it was?

For instance, people in india think that Shiva the destroyer changed them. The same is valid for Allah,etc.

How do you think they came to these conclusions?

The title of your thread is "ask a theist". If I ask an African believer in the great Juju at the bottom of the sea, can I expect valuable information about her spiritual experiences?

Ciao

- viole
08-01-2014, 02:20 PM
(07-01-2014 11:10 PM)viole Wrote:  And how do you/they know now what it was?

For instance, people in india think that Shiva the destroyer changed them. The same is valid for Allah,etc.

How do you think they came to these conclusions?

No doubt that they experienced something; however, unless the conclusion is that of God, then it wasn't a regeneration. It was from something else... maybe emotional... maybe psychological.

And, I'm not going to be naive enough to think that this hasn't happened to me (as I'm not omniscient), but my feelings are strong enough on the subject to provide me with the faith I need.

Quote:The title of your thread is "ask a theist". If I ask an African believer in the great Juju at the bottom of the sea, can I expect valuable information about her spiritual experiences?

Ciao

- viole

No anecdote is "valuable information" or "empirical evidence" to anyone besides the said person. Their anecdotes are simply that when presenting to someone who is not themselves.