Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
09-01-2014, 09:22 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(09-01-2014 09:19 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Are humans, for the lack of a better term, "hard wired" to believe or reject faith based ideologies? I am going by memory and I probably should have researched more before asking the question, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Thought I saw some science on the brain out there attempting to zero in on what is different between believers and non believers.

I know it is not clear cut by any means as people will go back and forth with spiritual views, but I know I am hard wired in a way that never has and never will allow me to turn to faith for answers.

Any thoughts?

Yeah. This comes down to the "elect" and "non-elect". The elect accept faith and the non-elect not only don't accept it and never will but also have a hard time understanding why others accept it.

This goes back to the gift of faith that God gives His beloved.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-01-2014, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 09:30 AM by Timber1025.)
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...-the-brain

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/Heal...lief_.html

One of many references to the question asked.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
09-01-2014, 09:30 AM
I guess I have to be a "Jerk" as the OP says because the moon is not made of cheese, the earth is not flat, and there is no such thing as invisible magical sky heros by any name. You can explain your tradition and club beliefs all you want but it doesn't make your god any more real than Thor making lightening.

Don't get angry at me for stuff that was written long before I was born.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2014, 09:33 AM
(09-01-2014 09:30 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I guess I have to be a "Jerk" as the OP says because the moon is not made of cheese, the earth is not flat, and there is no such thing as invisible magical sky heros by any name. You can explain your tradition and club beliefs all you want but it doesn't make your god any more real than Thor making lightening.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Doesn't make you a "jerk". Doesn't make me think any more or less of you, either.

09-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Forgive me if someone asked this before (I really don't want to read all 260 pages of this thread lol), but how do you respond to the critiques of Noah's Ark? For example:

1. How did he manage to get two of EVERY animal.
2. How did the Earth manage to get Flooded by water, and then the water just disappear?
3. Why there is no mention of saving insects or plant life

The only reason I ask is because was in a debate with a theist about this a few days ago and he had no explanation but still believed the story to be fact and not just a story. Consider

Atir aissom atir imon
09-01-2014, 09:39 AM
So in your view God reveals himself to the "elect", but can someone take the initiative to come to him or is it all up to him who he chooses to show himself to?

Can you point me to a chapter, section, verse in the bible that provides some background to this "elect" vs "non-elect" concept? Thanks.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
09-01-2014, 09:40 AM
(09-12-2011 06:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 05:55 PM)Spectre Wrote:  How do you reconcile your Calvinist beliefs with the sacrifice of Jesus? If salvation was always predestined, why send Jesus to die on the cross?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

I talk about my Calvinist view a lot in the thread "Calvin's Bizarre Doctrine". Look there for more details.

The short answer is that we are his inheritance and Jesus' purpose from before creation.

(09-01-2014 09:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 08:56 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I have a hypothetical question: Suppose you had a crisis of theology. For example, you realized that the bible was not in fact referring to certain people as elect but rather, say, referring to Israel as being elect in order to bring light to the world. Or that those particular passages were found to be forgeries or hinging on words that did not translate well into English. Totally hypothetical, of course, as it's been a while since I've delved into theology. Point being, how would you reframe for you experience in light of evidence that unconditional election is not supported in the bible?

I've reframed my theology quite a bit in light of certain things I've learned from history as well as better interpretations of scripture.

This wouldn't be an issue for me.

But how do you think that you would reframe your experience? For example, maybe God was calling you to evangelize in no uncertain terms or to let your experience become sort of a testimony of sorts?

Your experience of praying and praising god seemingly out of nowhere is not a common experience even among the born again experience. You might conclude that there was higher purpose rather than just showing you to be among the elect. Thoughts?
09-01-2014, 09:40 AM
(09-01-2014 09:36 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Forgive me if someone asked this before (I really don't want to read all 260 pages of this thread lol), but how do you respond to the critiques of Noah's Ark? For example:

2. How did the Earth manage to get Flooded by water, and then the water just disappear?

The only reason I ask is because was in a debate with a theist about this a few days ago and he had no explanation but still believed the story to be fact and not just a story. Consider

I don't believe in a literal flood story.

09-01-2014, 09:43 AM
(09-01-2014 09:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 09:36 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Forgive me if someone asked this before (I really don't want to read all 260 pages of this thread lol), but how do you respond to the critiques of Noah's Ark? For example:

I don't believe in a literal flood story.

Ah ok, then in that sense I would be inclined to agree with you. I like a lot of stories in the Bible (if not taken literally), because you can learn from/apply them to other situations.

Atir aissom atir imon
09-01-2014, 09:44 AM
(09-01-2014 09:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 09:30 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I guess I have to be a "Jerk" as the OP says because the moon is not made of cheese, the earth is not flat, and there is no such thing as invisible magical sky heros by any name. You can explain your tradition and club beliefs all you want but it doesn't make your god any more real than Thor making lightening.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Doesn't make you a "jerk". Doesn't make me think any more or less of you, either.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.

Nowhere outside biological evolution do we see cognition on a human level. There is no such thing as a magical invisible super brain. Just like the sun was never a thinking being like the Egyptians falsely believed. What we do have an abundance of evidence of are humans concocting gods to placate their own insecurities of being finite.

When you can get any, and I mean ANY, "god theory" of invisible magical non material super brains into a lab and proven as a scientific fact, win a Nobel Prize and beat everyone to the patent office, then we can talk. Otherwise maybe YOU need to consider that humans merely make up gods because reality is too frightening for them.

This is not about anyone's rights to make any claim they want. This is about the absurdity of the claim itself and it's clear lack of evidence.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user