Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
09-01-2014, 09:50 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(09-01-2014 09:39 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  So in your view God reveals himself to the "elect", but can someone take the initiative to come to him or is it all up to him who he chooses to show himself to?

Can you point me to a chapter, section, verse in the bible that provides some background to this "elect" vs "non-elect" concept? Thanks.

People cannot come to God. God has to call them to Himself aka come to them.

As for the verses (these are just a few):

Eph 1:4-5
4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love 5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,

Rom 9:11-22
11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God’s purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls, 12 it was said to her, “The older will serve the younger.” 13 Just as it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”
14 What shall we say then? There is no injustice with God, is there? May it never be! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I raised you up, to demonstrate My power in you, and that My name might be proclaimed throughout the whole earth.” 18 So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires.
19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?” 20 On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, “Why did you make me like this,” will it? 21 Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? 22 What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?

John 6:64-65
64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would betray Him. 65 And He was saying, “For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.”

John 8:42-43
64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would betray Him. 65 And He was saying, “For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.”

2 Thess 2:13
But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 09:53 AM
(09-01-2014 09:40 AM)jaxx Wrote:  But how do you think that you would reframe your experience? For example, maybe God was calling you to evangelize in no uncertain terms or to let your experience become sort of a testimony of sorts?

Your experience of praying and praising god seemingly out of nowhere is not a common experience even among the born again experience. You might conclude that there was higher purpose rather than just showing you to be among the elect. Thoughts?

That's all possible. Maybe one day God will give me the desire to evangelize. As of now, I'm no preacher. God hasn't given me that desire.

09-01-2014, 09:57 AM
I have a question KC.
Why do you call yourself a calvinist if you disagree with the Reformed Confessions?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
09-01-2014, 09:58 AM
(09-01-2014 09:44 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.

Nowhere outside biological evolution do we see cognition on a human level. There is no such thing as a magical invisible super brain. Just like the sun was never a thinking being like the Egyptians falsely believed. What we do have an abundance of evidence of are humans concocting gods to placate their own insecurities of being finite.

When you can get any, and I mean ANY, "god theory" of invisible magical non material super brains into a lab and proven as a scientific fact, win a Nobel Prize and beat everyone to the patent office, then we can talk. Otherwise maybe YOU need to consider that humans merely make up gods because reality is too frightening for them.

This is not about anyone's rights to make any claim they want. This is about the absurdity of the claim itself and it's clear lack of evidence.

The absolutism route is self-defeating. There are no "facts". There is only evidence. Nothing we "know" can ever be 100%. Yes, we can be 99.999999% certain about things, but we can never reach 100% because we lack omniscience.

We can only follow evidence and where it leads us. I consider my experiences as my own personal form of evidence; therefore, that evidence leads me to my beliefs - just like what you accept as evidence leads you to your beliefs.

09-01-2014, 10:00 AM
(09-01-2014 09:57 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  I have a question KC.
Why do you call yourself a calvinist if you disagree with the Reformed Confessions?

Because the core of my beliefs is Calvinistic. Like you said (I think it was you), I'm a hyper-Calvinist, apparently.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-01-2014, 10:06 AM
(09-01-2014 09:43 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Ah ok, then in that sense I would be inclined to agree with you. I like a lot of stories in the Bible (if not taken literally), because you can learn from/apply them to other situations.

Yeah, there are several things that are common and prevalent in Ancient Near East (ANE) history. Deciphering them in the Bible can be difficult, but once you do, you realize that they are stories meant to teach a lesson... much like a parable.

09-01-2014, 10:16 AM
(09-01-2014 10:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 09:57 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  I have a question KC.

Because the core of my beliefs is Calvinistic. Like you said (I think it was you), I'm a hyper-Calvinist, apparently.

Well in retrospect I dont think "hypercalvinist" applies to you. "Hypercalvinist" was a label attached with some 18th and 19th century preachers that opposed missionary activity, open air gospel preaching because these were too Arminian and if God willed he would regenerate them regardless of the circumstances surrounding them.

I think christian determinist might be a better label if you will.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
09-01-2014, 10:19 AM
(09-01-2014 10:16 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 10:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because the core of my beliefs is Calvinistic. Like you said (I think it was you), I'm a hyper-Calvinist, apparently.

Well in retrospect I dont think "hypercalvinist" applies to you. "Hypercalvinist" was a label attached with some 18th and 19th century preachers that opposed missionary activity, open air gospel preaching because these were too Arminian and if God willed he would regenerate them regardless of the circumstances surrounding them.

I think christian determinist might be a better label if you will.

Interesting. Yeah, I don't oppose missionary work and evangelizing.

I guess it's kind of hard to label me... which is why it's easier to just say I'm a Calvinist.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-01-2014, 10:44 AM
To be fair to you and to the Reformed Confessions and to Calvin, I think you might be misunderstanding the confessions' (and maybe Calvin's) stance on free will. The only time they talk about free will they talk about it in the creation and fall of man. That is to say that they confess man to be made in God's image and upright, but by his own free will and by the instigation of the devil they have deprived themselves of the gifts of God like holiness, etc (Cannons of Dort, 3rd H. of D, Article 1)
The confessions never talk about free will as part of regeneration,in fact speak out harshly against it:
Quote:"[This synod rejects the errors of those] Who teach that in election to faith a prerequisite condition is that humans should rightly use the light of nature, be upright, unassuming, humble, and disposed to eternal life, as though election depended to some extent on these factors.

For this smacks of Pelagius, and it clearly calls into question the words of the apostle: “We lived at one time in the passions of our flesh, following the will of our flesh and thoughts, and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else. But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in transgressions, made us alive with Christ, by whose grace you have been saved.
Canons of Dort, 1 H of D, Rejection IV

Hope that helps

[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
09-01-2014, 11:47 AM
This is a personal question but do you still experience similar "episodes" today as far as suddenly feeling close to god or receiving subtle revelations or was it just a one time occurrence? I know you also expressed feelings of depression after the episode. Have these feelings all subsided? I know you also mentioned that you might be in jail for assault or something to that effect before the episode. Did the violent tendencies also fully subside directly after your revelation?