Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
09-01-2014, 11:58 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(09-01-2014 11:47 AM)jaxx Wrote:  This is a personal question but do you still experience similar "episodes" today as far as suddenly feeling close to god or receiving subtle revelations or was it just a one time occurrence? I know you also expressed feelings of depression after the episode. Have these feelings all subsided? I know you also mentioned that you might be in jail for assault or something to that effect before the episode. Did the violent tendencies also fully subside directly after your revelation?

I still get personal revelations a good bit. It wasn't just a one time thing.

I don't ever get depressed anymore... save a few instances... and my violent tenancies have only surfaced one or two times since then. God still allows those bad desires to exposed themselves every once in awhile.

Don't know why. Although, I will say that when those things happen, I'm instantly reminded of how much better my life has become since my regeneration and how I never want to return to that type of person that was in my past.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-01-2014, 01:16 PM
(09-01-2014 10:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, there are several things that are common and prevalent in Ancient Near East (ANE) history. Deciphering them in the Bible can be difficult, but once you do, you realize that they are stories meant to teach a lesson... much like a parable.

Yes, I agree. Although, (not to start a war of semantics) I would consider it more of an allegory. I'm not getting anything spiritual out of the bubble, only lessons.

Ps: Thanks for the rep Thumbsup

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
09-01-2014, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 01:29 PM by viole.)
(09-01-2014 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You've basically restated everything I just said. And yes, it is more probable is certain parts of the world.

Yes, but why is that? I think that all human beings possess, in general, the same likelihood of experiencing delusions. I am not aware of any evidence supporting the hypothesis that, say, Arabs are more prone to emotional/psychological delusions.

Quote:Faith is what fills the gaps for things that we cannot know for certain.

Agreed. But isn't that possible that faith fills this gap by making people pretend to know things they don't?

And again, this gap is usually filled by very different things, ranging from people walking on water to gods looking like elephants. Does this fact allow us to infer that this gap gets filled by true knowledge in a reliable way?

Quote:No, without faith, you cannot have a regeneration.

I am not sure what you mean with regeneration. If with regeneration you mean a big change inside of you, then I have to ask: do such changes involve gaining 30 pounds in 5 minutes or growing an additional kidney? Or do they affect only the emotional/psychological aspects of a person?

Quote:This is theological.

It cannot be otherwise Wink

Quote: Scripture states that faith is a gift from God to His beloved.

Aww. I am not a beloved one Smile. Does that mean that my muslim friend has no faith, either?

I hope you indulge my humor, if any. In fact, I find this discussion with you pretty interesting. Thanks for that.

Ciao

- viole
[+] 2 users Like viole's post
09-01-2014, 02:07 PM
I just wanted to share that when I was a teen, early adult, I started having episodes of mania. Overall, I was very angry but could go through periods of delusional thinking, talking to god, thinking I was special in his eyes etc. Scary stuff. Coming out of these episodes I would still hold onto the irrational beliefs forged in them if that makes any sense. Anyways, these thing are not uncommon with bipolar disorder which is what I was diagnosed as having. Strangely a few years after my diagnoses the episodes subsided but can still flare up with hormones (obvs not a problem you'd have as a male) with a couple of particularly bad episodes occurring postpartum but they all paled in comparison to what I went through in my teens/early twenties. I was raised mormon but at the time was agnostic. My point here is, that I think your religious experience may have stemmed from something similar to what I experienced and from what I have read is not uncommon with bipolar and related disorders. I'm not trying to change your beliefs as they have obviously changed you for the better and can be a powerful coping mechanism but I know we never get the full picture of what is going on in one's life through a forum so if you ever find that you are experiencing thoughts that bring you more discomfort that peace, I would urge to seek help.

For anyone interested, here's an informative article on the delusion one might experience in regards to religion:
http://bipolar.about.com/od/psychoticfea...orders.htm

Also, you don't have to be a complete psycho to experience these things. During my experiences, I still functioned normally in society.
[+] 1 user Likes jaxx's post
09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
(09-01-2014 09:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 08:56 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I have a hypothetical question: Suppose you had a crisis of theology. For example, you realized that the bible was not in fact referring to certain people as elect but rather, say, referring to Israel as being elect in order to bring light to the world. Or that those particular passages were found to be forgeries or hinging on words that did not translate well into English. Totally hypothetical, of course, as it's been a while since I've delved into theology. Point being, how would you reframe for you experience in light of evidence that unconditional election is not supported in the bible?

I've reframed my theology quite a bit in light of certain things I've learned from history as well as better interpretations of scripture.

This wouldn't be an issue for me.

I suggest you try reframing it in light of neuroscience and psychology. Try using facts instead of myths. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2014, 02:33 PM
(09-01-2014 11:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't ever get depressed anymore... save a few instances... and my violent tenancies have only surfaced one or two times since then. God still allows those bad desires to exposed themselves every once in awhile.

Don't know why. Although, I will say that when those things happen, I'm instantly reminded of how much better my life has become since my regeneration and how I never want to return to that type of person that was in my past.

Could it be that you've just grown up a little? Hormonal influences, brain development all affect how we perceive anger, depression...etc.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-01-2014, 02:35 PM
What would take to disprove the inerrancy of the bible?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
09-01-2014, 06:07 PM
(09-01-2014 02:35 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  What would take to disprove the inerrancy of the bible?
For my part...oblivion.

But then again, I'd never know. Convenient. Big Grin

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 1 user Likes Kestrel's post
10-01-2014, 08:37 AM
(09-01-2014 01:18 PM)viole Wrote:  I am not sure what you mean with regeneration. If with regeneration you mean a big change inside of you, then I have to ask: do such changes involve gaining 30 pounds in 5 minutes or growing an additional kidney? Or do they affect only the emotional/psychological aspects of a person?

"Regeneration" is a theological term. It basically means "saved" or "born again".

Quote:Aww. I am not a beloved one Smile. Does that mean that my muslim friend has no faith, either?

I hope you indulge my humor, if any. In fact, I find this discussion with you pretty interesting. Thanks for that.

Ciao

- viole

I should have defined what "faith" is in this instance. "Faith" here is a faith in the Christian God; not an all encompassing "faith" in the denotative sense. People can faith in many other things, but it does not lead to being "saved" or "regenerated".

10-01-2014, 08:38 AM
(09-01-2014 02:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Could it be that you've just grown up a little? Hormonal influences, brain development all affect how we perceive anger, depression...etc.

I'm not saying that isn't a possibility; however, that type of change usually happens over time; slowly. My change was instantaneous.