Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
10-01-2014, 08:40 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(09-01-2014 02:35 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  What would take to disprove the inerrancy of the bible?

I honestly don't know.

I supposed I would have to have another powerful change. A change from believing to not believing.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2014, 08:47 AM
(10-01-2014 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 02:35 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  What would take to disprove the inerrancy of the bible?

I honestly don't know.

I supposed I would have to have another powerful change. A change from believing to not believing.

So the inerrancy of the bible is an assumption based on your faith?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
10-01-2014, 09:08 AM
(10-01-2014 08:47 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I honestly don't know.

So the inerrancy of the bible is an assumption based on your faith?

Yes.

10-01-2014, 09:12 AM
(10-01-2014 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

I honestly don't know.

How can we claim inerrancy when we don't know what the original manuscripts said and thousands of discrepancies are seen in the Greek manuscripts (Jesus spoke Aramaic btw) that we do have from typically hundreds of years after they were first written. Furthermore, these were written decades after the death of Christ, by anonymous authors (aside from Paul) living in various countries and coming from oral traditions that had been circulating for decades. I suppose a Christian could come away with the basic premise of Jesus being crucified and the story of the resurrection but most everything else can be logically disputed.
[+] 1 user Likes jaxx's post
10-01-2014, 11:02 AM
(10-01-2014 09:12 AM)jaxx Wrote:  How can we claim inerrancy when we don't know what the original manuscripts said and thousands of discrepancies are seen in the Greek manuscripts (Jesus spoke Aramaic btw) that we do have from typically hundreds of years after they were first written. Furthermore, these were written decades after the death of Christ, by anonymous authors (aside from Paul) living in various countries and coming from oral traditions that had been circulating for decades. I suppose a Christian could come away with the basic premise of Jesus being crucified and the story of the resurrection but most everything else can be logically disputed.

Yes, I know.

This is where the faith comes in to play. This is why we try to get as close to the original as possible.

10-01-2014, 11:22 AM
I guess my question then is: If we don't know what Jesus said, how do we know what to have faith in?
10-01-2014, 11:24 AM
(10-01-2014 11:22 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I guess my question then is: If we don't know what Jesus said, how do we know what to have faith in?

The common answer to this is that if Christians have faith in an omnipotent God then they have faith that His way of communication is as He wanted it to be.

10-01-2014, 11:33 AM
So the way Christianity was understood and practiced 1800 years ago is how it was meant to be practiced then and the way it was practiced in the middle ages was also as it was meant as well as to today? But still no one can agree on the essence of Jesus and his message. But that's the way it was meant to be because of faith even if no two people have faith in the same thing. But, you know, election is an absolutely correct interpretation? Sorry, my head is spinning here.
[+] 1 user Likes jaxx's post
10-01-2014, 12:04 PM
(10-01-2014 11:33 AM)jaxx Wrote:  So the way Christianity was understood and practiced 1800 years ago is how it was meant to be practiced then and the way it was practiced in the middle ages was also as it was meant as well as to today? But still no one can agree on the essence of Jesus and his message. But that's the way it was meant to be because of faith even if no two people have faith in the same thing. But, you know, election is an absolutely correct interpretation? Sorry, my head is spinning here.

I've never said that anything is the correct interpretation. There is room for error, and I may be wrong. I can never be 100% on anything because I'm not omniscient. This is just how I'm led to interpret it and what I believe.

10-01-2014, 12:20 PM
So in what is your faith is absolute? Jesus?

Also, just out of curiosity, what brings you to an atheist forum? I'm sure you've already answered this. Do you, for a change, feel like a minority when you live in a country highly saturated with Christians? I live in the bible belt where everyone I know is a Christian and will openly question my sanity when they find out that I'm an atheist. Honestly, I don't mention it to anyone unless they know me pretty well. I'm just speculating here, not trying to sound rude so feel free to ignore. Smile