Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
10-01-2014, 12:29 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(10-01-2014 12:20 PM)jaxx Wrote:  So in what is your faith is absolute? Jesus?

In short, yes.

Quote:Also, just out of curiosity, what brings you to an atheist forum? I'm sure you've already answered this.

Another forum member (germanyt) and I worked together. He is an atheist and we had a lot of good discussions. He found this place because it was the only atheist forum that wasn't blocked by the web filter where we worked.

Quote:Do you, for a change, feel like a minority when you live in a country highly saturated with Christians? I live in the bible belt where everyone I know is a Christian and will openly question my sanity when they find out that I'm an atheist. Honestly, I don't mention it to anyone unless they know me pretty well. I'm just speculating here, not trying to sound rude so feel free to ignore. Smile

Nah. I've always felt included here. I've more or less been accepted by the community. I don't see this forum as an "atheist forum" anymore. It's just a forum that has a lot of atheists... if that makes sense.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
10-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Ask a Theist!
(10-01-2014 08:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm not saying that isn't a possibility; however, that type of change usually happens over time; slowly. My change was instantaneous.

It seemed instantaneous. I'm not sure you can say with perfect confidence that it was. You still speak as someone who is not entirely aware of what their own mind is capable.

(10-01-2014 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I honestly don't know.

I supposed I would have to have another powerful change. A change from believing to not believing.

I don't think so. My transition was so gradual I didn't even notice until it was already fairly progressed.

Perhaps you are in transition at this very moment and are not aware if it.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
10-01-2014, 01:00 PM
So let's say you found too many things in scripture that you could not reconcile, would you then default to Catholicism which emphasizes tradition over scripture or even Mormonism? Mormons think that the bible has irreversibly corrupted--enter Book of Mormon.
10-01-2014, 01:05 PM
(10-01-2014 01:00 PM)jaxx Wrote:  So let's say you found too many things in scripture that you could not reconcile, would you then default to Catholicism which emphasizes tradition over scripture or even Mormonism? Mormons think that the bible has irreversibly corrupted--enter Book of Mormon.

lol no to Catholicism - go read my Suscipe Domine topic in the Casual Coffeehouse.

And no to Mormonism. Their stuff is, to me, full of wholes and harder to reconcile than Protestantism.

I don't know which path I would go down if I truly couldn't reconcile something.

10-01-2014, 01:11 PM
(10-01-2014 12:49 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 08:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm not saying that isn't a possibility; however, that type of change usually happens over time; slowly. My change was instantaneous.

It seemed instantaneous. I'm not sure you can say with perfect confidence that it was. You still speak as someone who is not entirely aware of what their own mind is capable.

(10-01-2014 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I honestly don't know.

I supposed I would have to have another powerful change. A change from believing to not believing.

I don't think so. My transition was so gradual I didn't even notice until it was already fairly progressed.

I mean... those are all conceivable. It's not how I perceive it, though.

10-01-2014, 01:11 PM
(10-01-2014 01:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  And no to Mormonism. Their stuff is, to me, full of wholes and harder to reconcile than Protestantism.
*holes

[Image: Y5tGBer.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
10-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Ask a Theist!
(10-01-2014 01:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 12:49 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  It seemed instantaneous. I'm not sure you can say with perfect confidence that it was. You still speak as someone who is not entirely aware of what their own mind is capable.

I mean... those are all conceivable. It's not how I perceive it, though.

You still seem pretty naive to me in this regard. You are human and just as susceptible to self-deception as any of us.

Can you name the last time you noticed you were deluding yourself about something?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
10-01-2014, 01:21 PM
(10-01-2014 01:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 01:00 PM)jaxx Wrote:  So let's say you found too many things in scripture that you could not reconcile, would you then default to Catholicism which emphasizes tradition over scripture or even Mormonism? Mormons think that the bible has irreversibly corrupted--enter Book of Mormon.

lol no to Catholicism - go read my Suscipe Domine topic in the Casual Coffeehouse.

And no to Mormonism. Their stuff is, to me, full of wholes and harder to reconcile than Protestantism.

I don't know which path I would go down if I truly couldn't reconcile something.

Objectively, and as a former Mormon they are equally full of holes and are chocked full of "experts" ready and willing to reconcile every problem by twisting the text and mashing it with their version of history and geography. The faithful are none to wiser to what seems so obvious to everyone else.

I remember my Granny telling stories about how she saw ghosts smiling at her when she was performing baptisms for the dead. She is/was otherwise sane, college educated, etc. so WTF? I don't even know.
10-01-2014, 01:23 PM
(10-01-2014 01:14 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 01:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I mean... those are all conceivable. It's not how I perceive it, though.

You still seem pretty naive to me in this regard. You are human and just as susceptible to self-deception as any of us.

Can you name the last time you noticed you were deluding yourself about something?

Nothing comes to mind right off the bad. I feel I'm very aware if myself.

10-01-2014, 01:31 PM
(10-01-2014 01:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Nothing comes to mind right off the bad.
*bat

(10-01-2014 01:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I feel I'm very aware if myself.
*of

[Image: Y5tGBer.jpg]

Get your shit together, Jeremy. Laughat

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post