Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
15-01-2014, 12:00 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(15-01-2014 09:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 12:10 PM)jaxx Wrote:  http://youtu.be/cU_26Pn3Bwg

Have you ever read/listened to any of Bart Ehrman's work? He is a renown biblical scholar and does not usually present anything that is not already the scholarly consensus. Anyways, thoughts? How do you reconcile some of the examples in the clip above. His books go into way more detail and I highly recommend them.

I can't view it at work. Summary?

I don't think I could do it justice. Maybe watch when you get home or check out some of his books. He was also a Baptist and described himself as a Calvinist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2014, 05:31 PM
I've heard there is a split among Calvinists where some believe that it is good to proselytize to gain, but others believe there is no point. The first group believes they are doing God's will and the second believe that the Elect are already chosen and proselytizing cannot change that.

Is this an accurate summary? What do you believe in this regard?
15-01-2014, 05:38 PM
(15-01-2014 05:31 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've heard there is a split among Calvinists where some believe that it is good to proselytize to gain, but others believe there is no point. The first group believes they are doing God's will and the second believe that the Elect are already chosen and proselytizing cannot change that.

Is this an accurate summary? What do you believe in this regard?

Yeah. You do see that.

I believe in proselytizing if you're called to do it - ie - you have a desire for it. If this is so, then God gave you that desire and it's probably a way God is going to use for a regeneration.

If not, then you're not supposed to. It just depends on the person, IMO.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-01-2014, 06:31 PM
(15-01-2014 09:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 05:58 PM)viole Wrote:  Why does regeneration takes place only in some parts of the world and not others? I don't want to sound too pushy, but why are the elected ones geographically concentrated only in some parts of the world?

Don't know. I don't have an answer for that. Same reason why He chose the Jews as His people, I suppose.

So, if i may ask a question in the Hume's style.

What is more likely: that the creator of the universe, all the galaxies, spacetime, gravity, billions and billions and trillions of stars, etc. chose a tribe in the middle East as his chosen people, or that a tribe in the middle East invented a God who chose them?

What does your rationality suggest?

Ciao

- viole
[+] 3 users Like viole's post
15-01-2014, 06:37 PM
KC - being that you have been on the TTA a long time. Have any of the Atheist arguments impacted you? If so, which ones?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
15-01-2014, 07:23 PM
(15-01-2014 05:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah. You do see that.

I believe in proselytizing if you're called to do it - ie - you have a desire for it. If this is so, then God gave you that desire and it's probably a way God is going to use for a regeneration.

If not, then you're not supposed to. It just depends on the person, IMO.

Thanks.

That make sense... in as much as it can to me given the assumed world view.
15-01-2014, 11:41 PM
(15-01-2014 10:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 09:00 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  The Bible and Faith do not harden peoples heart, MAN does !!

Romans 9. Please read.

IF you are referring to Romans 9.17-18 you will notice that it quoted scriptures from Exodus 7-14, there God did harden the heart of the pharaoh (singular)for a reason. But he does not harden mans heart(as in mankind). Mankind does a good enough job of that.. Hebrews 3-8 which quotes Psalms 95.8 tells mankind not to harden their hearts (but as we know we did anyways). This is where what I said, the Bible and faith do not harden peoples (mankind's )heart. Again mankind does a good enough job of that.
Your welcome
16-01-2014, 10:18 AM
(15-01-2014 11:41 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 10:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Romans 9. Please read.

IF you are referring to Romans 9.17-18 you will notice that it quoted scriptures from Exodus 7-14, there God did harden the heart of the pharaoh (singular)for a reason. But he does not harden mans heart(as in mankind). Mankind does a good enough job of that.. Hebrews 3-8 which quotes Psalms 95.8 tells mankind not to harden their hearts (but as we know we did anyways). This is where what I said, the Bible and faith do not harden peoples (mankind's )heart. Again mankind does a good enough job of that.
Your welcome

You never made that distinction until now.

Last I checked, "peoples" are individuals.

There is biblical proof that God hardens hearts. It's plain and simple... whether it be an individual or a group, that's irrelevant.

16-01-2014, 10:18 AM
(15-01-2014 06:31 PM)viole Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 09:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Don't know. I don't have an answer for that. Same reason why He chose the Jews as His people, I suppose.

So, if i may ask a question in the Hume's style.

What is more likely: that the creator of the universe, all the galaxies, spacetime, gravity, billions and billions and trillions of stars, etc. chose a tribe in the middle East as his chosen people, or that a tribe in the middle East invented a God who chose them?

What does your rationality suggest?

Ciao

- viole

Logically and rationally speaking - probably the latter.

16-01-2014, 10:21 AM
(15-01-2014 06:37 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  KC - being that you have been on the TTA a long time. Have any of the Atheist arguments impacted you? If so, which ones?

I answered this earlier... sec, let me show you what I wrote:

(22-12-2013 10:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I would like to think not, but if I'm going to be honest... I don't really know.

I mean, my beliefs haven't change... I still believe what I believe when I created this topic... but I've change.

The change in me is evident. People who have been here for as long as I have have seen, and I'm not going to pretend it's not there.

I've become more contempt and jaded towards Christians in general and Christian establishments. I've gotten to the point where I can barely stomach these hypocrits that claim Christ.

But, is it my exposure to atheism that spurred this?

Writing this, I just realized something.

Yes. Being an admin has changed my views on theism.

I've walked alongside y'all, and even been thought to be an atheist myself on several occasions. I've experience the shunning, spite, and malice from other Christians because of this. I've walked in your shoes, so to speak.

And it's eye opening.

Since coming to TTA, I've realized why people can't stand Christians. It's because of the way we act. The way we judge. The way we condemn.

I absolutely loathe it.

I think it also helped me realize how different I was from other Christians in my personal life and gave me the courage to stand up and say, "No. This isn't right."

For which, I've been shunned.

Strange, though. In spite of all of this, my faith remains. Solid. True.

I guess now, I'm just trying to find where I fit in.