Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
17-01-2014, 12:08 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(17-01-2014 11:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Pffft, I'm no hipster.
You were chosen before it was cool. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
17-01-2014, 12:24 PM
(17-01-2014 12:04 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I just swing through the pages of this thread every once in awhile to check on my friend, KC. Who is probably one of the ONLY theists on the planet that I actually respect.

It's most likely his signature line that won me over.

Evil_monster

(in all seriousness Calvinism confuses me but I read every word you say KC)

Thank you. You're very kind.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-01-2014, 12:36 PM
(15-01-2014 05:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 05:31 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've heard there is a split among Calvinists where some believe that it is good to proselytize to gain, but others believe there is no point. The first group believes they are doing God's will and the second believe that the Elect are already chosen and proselytizing cannot change that.

Is this an accurate summary? What do you believe in this regard?

Yeah. You do see that.

I believe in proselytizing if you're called to do it - ie - you have a desire for it. If this is so, then God gave you that desire and it's probably a way God is going to use for a regeneration.

If not, then you're not supposed to. It just depends on the person, IMO.

If this were only true of all religions there would have been much less heatache throughout history. If only those who feel *very* much *Called* and the others did not let ego of religion rule them........
the world would be a different place.

and there'd be far less resentment against religion.

just sayin...............

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
17-01-2014, 01:57 PM
(17-01-2014 11:31 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 11:29 AM)Kestrel Wrote:  In a very real sense, I consider myself far more fundamental than they believe themselves to be.

I know exactly what you mean... cause, y'know... we follow the Bible and stuff and don't twist verses to suit preconceived indoctrinations.

That's more fundamental. Thumbsup

Yep. Bunch of busybodies telling me what I should, could be doing, interpreting, reading, understanding...

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
17-01-2014, 01:58 PM
(17-01-2014 12:24 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 12:04 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I just swing through the pages of this thread every once in awhile to check on my friend, KC. Who is probably one of the ONLY theists on the planet that I actually respect.

It's most likely his signature line that won me over.

Evil_monster

(in all seriousness Calvinism confuses me but I read every word you say KC)

Thank you. You're very kind.

You won't see that she's weaving a spell about you until it's too late.Evil_monster

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
18-01-2014, 04:52 AM
(17-01-2014 09:54 AM)jaxx Wrote:  So one of the symptoms of religious addiction: Manipulating scripture or texts, feeling specially chosen, claiming to receive special messages from God

Addiction replacement: http://m.aljazeera.com/story/201283091726857509

http://christianity.about.com/od/drugand...addiction/

I'm on the go, my sis is getting married tomorrow. I'll try to dig up better, more scientific sources later.

Better source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles...rt=classic
22-01-2014, 05:18 AM
Was it a Calvinist who came up with the meme "I didn't choose the thug life, the thug life chose me"? Laughat

[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
28-01-2014, 08:42 PM
I'm certain that nobody has asked you these questions before (not that anyone ever posted the previous one), so here we go:

01. What do you think is the primary cause of the global increase in those who identify themselves as atheists, agnostics and non-religious?
02. What is your opinion concerning this phenomenon (i.e. does it concern you/are you in favor of it/etc.)?

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
31-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Ok, so you started off by denying the infallibility of scripture. I would like to know specifically, what you consider false within scripture, and what method you use to decide what is false.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
31-01-2014, 06:05 AM
(31-01-2014 12:08 AM)toadaly Wrote:  Ok, so you started off by denying the infallibility of scripture. I would like to know specifically, what you consider false within scripture, and what method you use to decide what is false.

Well it is 'inspired' by god, so basically anything he wants to say is true as per his feelings.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.