Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
26-03-2014, 04:08 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
I've always to get an opinion from the other side on a matter..

I believe that one can't find a meaning or purpose in a life without death. What's the point of living if life doesn't end. There would be no point in living it, your life wouldn't have context..

Would be like trying to justify running a race from point A to B without point B existing.

So how could the "gift" of your mortal life be an eternal life without meaning. Sounds more like a mockery of what life is to me..

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2014, 04:25 PM
(26-03-2014 03:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 03:22 PM)Magoo Wrote:  KC,

Do you follow lent? Is it part of Calvinism, or is just a Catholic thing? If it is part of Calvinism, is it important to you?

No I don't. It's a Catholic thing and it is of no importance to me.

I suspected so.
26-03-2014, 06:20 PM
(26-03-2014 04:08 PM)kfuehrer Wrote:  I've always to get an opinion from the other side on a matter..

I believe that one can't find a meaning or purpose in a life without death. What's the point of living if life doesn't end. There would be no point in living it, your life wouldn't have context..

Would be like trying to justify running a race from point A to B without point B existing.

So how could the "gift" of your mortal life be an eternal life without meaning. Sounds more like a mockery of what life is to me..

Thoughts?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the point of heaven will be to praise God for eternity.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
26-03-2014, 06:23 PM
(26-03-2014 06:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the point of heaven will be to praise God for eternity.
Is the god that shallow that it requires/desires praise for all eternity?
If not then what purpose does this praising fulfill?

What happens if a person in heaven doesn't praise the god?
26-03-2014, 08:01 PM
(26-03-2014 06:23 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 06:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the point of heaven will be to praise God for eternity.
Is the god that shallow that it requires/desires praise for all eternity?

1) I don't know.
2) I don't know.
Those are things that only the source could answer.
3) They won't have a choice. It will be their desire to do so.

26-03-2014, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2014 08:16 PM by Stevil.)
(26-03-2014 08:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 06:23 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Is the god that shallow that it requires/desires praise for all eternity?

1) I don't know.
2) I don't know.
Those are things that only the source could answer.
3) They won't have a choice. It will be their desire to do so.
Not meaning to be argumentative but...

If the point to heaven is to praise god and you don't know what purpose praising fulfills then does that mean that you don't know what the point/purpose of heaven is?

Praising is an activity it isn't a purpose.
Like running is an activity, its purpose it to get fit, or achieve a goal or to get somewhere quicker than walking.
I could suggest that praising someone serves a purpose of boosting their confidence or encouraging them to do something that they might otherwise be lacking motivation on.
Does god lack confidence and/or motivation?

With regards to 3) if you have no choice then doesn't that invalidate the concept of praise? especially if the recipient of the praise knows that you have no choice.
27-03-2014, 09:48 AM
(26-03-2014 06:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 04:08 PM)kfuehrer Wrote:  I've always to get an opinion from the other side on a matter..

Thoughts?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the point of heaven will be to praise God for eternity.

And that makes sense to you? How?

Seriously, that is one of the most poorly conceived or thought out things I have ever read. In fact, it's pretty much full retard.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Do you see any conflict between the As Above, So Below interpretation of Heaven (the Kingdom of God) as depicted in the bible, in that it mirrored the political and social structure of the time, with an eternal being as monarch, with a serfs, knights, guards, and the chosen few as the peasants in his kingdom?

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
27-03-2014, 10:00 AM
(27-03-2014 09:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  

And that makes sense to you? How?

Seriously, that is one of the most poorly conceived or thought out things I have ever read. In fact, it's pretty much full retard.

No it makes perfect sense if something omnipotent constructs it to happen that way and constructs the being to have that single desire for all eternity.

27-03-2014, 10:13 AM
(27-03-2014 10:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 09:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  And that makes sense to you? How?

No it makes perfect sense if something omnipotent constructs it to happen that way and constructs the being to have that single desire for all eternity.

Well, I certainly don't have that desire. It sounds appalling. Your argument is invalid. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user